Community discussions

MikroTik App

LP
Topic Author

OS 3.27 / Firmware 2.20 Problem-

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 am

This started when I upgraded a routerboard from 3.26 to 3.27. When I upgraded the OS, I also upgraded the firmware to 2.20 (I believe it was 2.18 before that). Everytime I tried to telnet with the "system telnet" command, the router would lock up. I would have to reboot it multiple times to get'er back online. In Any case, I replaced the router (oh, these are RB493AHs) with another with 3.27 OS but still firmware 2.18. I have not yet had a problem with the replacement.

Now, this other one I have to hold in the button on the from in order to get it to boot (I understand that bypasses the newest firmware or something?) but once in I cannot seem to revert the firmware. My console is also unresponsive. I've tried system reset, and sill cannot get in with any baudrate. I'm using a Xserial cable that I use for any other mikrotik.

Any tips on getting this firware reverted?

Also, any updates to address this problem- or am I the only one with it :shock:

Thanks for the help-

LP
Topic Author

Re: OS 3.27 / Firmware 2.20 Problem-

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:21 am

ok, so I can get in the console now, (yeah, my fault- cable sais X, but wasn't). This is as far as it gets and stays there forever

RouterBOOT booter 2.20

RouterBoard 493AH

CPU frequency: 600 MHz
Memory size: 128 MB

Press <delete> key within 5 seconds to enter setup.....
loading kernel from nand... OK
setting up elf image... OK
jumping to kernel code

Now, if I hold that button in the front, it boots just fine. I tried xmodem to transfer an earlier file to it but it didn't take. I probably wasn't using the right thing, I downloaded the "all packages" option and tried to transfer the "routerboard-3.13-mipsbe.npk" to it. Is that the right file? Do I have to rename it or something?

Thanks again-

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

This started when I upgraded a routerboard from 3.26 to 3.27. When I upgraded the OS, I also upgraded the firmware to 2.20 (I believe it was 2.18 before that). Everytime I tried to telnet with the "system telnet" command, the router would lock up. I would have to reboot it multiple times to get'er back online. In Any case, I replaced the router (oh, these are RB493AHs) with another with 3.27 OS but still firmware 2.18. I have not yet had a problem with the replacement.

Now, this other one I have to hold in the button on the from in order to get it to boot (I understand that bypasses the newest firmware or something?) but once in I cannot seem to revert the firmware. My console is also unresponsive. I've tried system reset, and sill cannot get in with any baudrate. I'm using a Xserial cable that I use for any other mikrotik.

Any tips on getting this firware reverted?

Also, any updates to address this problem- or am I the only one with it :shock:

Thanks for the help-
I tried to find this problem on 433ah but did not succeed. Upgraded a 433AH from 3.20 to 3.27,
updated firmware from 2.19 to 2.20. system telnet works as expected.
May be a special 493ah problem or specific to your config.

I would send a supout.rif before and after the problem to support.

Stefan

LP
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:23 pm

I have sent the information to Mikrotik support. I will post any info I receive for the record-

LP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:54 am

OK, I think my problem is gone. Here's what I did...

I rebooted multipule times and it would still only boot when hitting the front button. Then I lowered the cpu freq down to 600- multiple failed boots- 400- multiple failed boots- 300 - multiple failed boots- 200 BOOTED!

After rebooted about 20 times and not having one faulure, I raised the speed back to 680mhz in one jump and it booted fine, and has booted fine since. That really is the only thing I have done.... I will send an update to support on this matter as well.