Community discussions

MikroTik App

tjma2001
just joined
Topic Author

hotspot via pppoe

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi. I have a hotel that I am trying to get onto a hotspot system. But the hotel was built in two phases, one part DSL one part CAT-5e cable. I want to get it so that the dsl accounts connect via PPPoE to a generic account on the Mikrotik to get an IP address and then whenever they connect via the router it must hit the hotspot page to ask them for their username and password or voucher number. Currently if the user logs in via PPPoE on the same interface as the hotspot ( same IP pool ) then the user has direct access to the internet, thus the prepaid card system becomes useless. How can I get around this?

I need

Cleint -> (PPPoe -> authenticate) -> hotspot -> internet

eneimi

Re: hotspot via pppoe

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm

If you want to use a prepaid card system, then you will want to implement some form of RADIUS eg mikrotik user manager.

PPPoe is just what it is, a secure authentication mode.
Hotspot is what it is, a somewhat less secure authentication mode.
You're advised not to run both on the same interface, talk less about sharing the same ip pool!

Make a choice - PPPoe or Hotspot and then whichever you opt for, add RADIUS for accounting and other features.

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3.0/vpn/pppoe.php
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3. ... otspot.php

NB: this should have gone under the General forum.

tjma2001
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hotspot via pppoe

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I have a radius server setup and using radius manager to manage my clients and the prepaid card system. Is it possible to run a second Mikrotik that will run the PPPoE server. It will do no masquerading and just route all the traffic to the hotspot Mikrotik and then do the masquerading from there?

Will the PPPoE users get the hotspot interface?

Is there anyway to move this to the general section?