Community discussions

MikroTik App

paul
Topic Author

RB750 Questions

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi,

I am looking for information on the RB750 as I cannot find a full manual for it.

Currently I have one subnet for my main network which connects to an XP box on 1 Ethernet card and then to a RouterOS box via another Ethernet card (another subnet). The RouterOS box has another Ethernet card (another subnet) which is connected to a residential gateway router with ADSL modem. I also have an additional Ethernet card in the RouterOS box for when I get a second ADSL connection but this is unused at the moment.

So it looks a bit like this excluding the second Ethernet card in the RouterOS box.

LAN<192.168.0.xxx>XP<192.168.2.xxx>RouterOS<192.168.1.xxx>Vigor2600<->Internet

I am looking to get an ADSL2+ modem and so am looking at:

LAN<192.168.0.xxx >XP<192.168.1.xxx > RB750 <->Modem<->Internet

Once again I am excluding the second Internet link here.

I’ve tried doing this in the past with my Vigor but it was not capable as acting as a suitable modem.

Now what I would like to know is are the ports on the RB750 freely assignable to routing and switching. So could I use 2 ports for routing and 3 for switching and later on could I use 3 ports for routing and 2 for switching?

My current RouterOS box is a 200MHz Pentium pro (1Mg cache) serving a 2mg ADSL network serving 10 users. Will the RB750 be able to do this and still be able to do this when the ADSL is upgrade to 20Mg ADSL2+?

I also see that the RB750 has no serial port so if you mess up the only way back in is that a reset. But surly this would mean I would lose all my programming? Is it possible to save the entire set up of the RB750 in one go and then restore it all in one go?

The same questions about the RB450/450G as well please.

Also is there a 1 gig version in the works and silver rather than white would be a better colour for the RB750.

Thanx
Paul