Community discussions

MikroTik App

arigatox
just joined
Topic Author

RB133 bricked

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 pm

I have an old RB133. It was running fine with RouterOS 2.9.x but I updated the RouterOS and now the router does not respond.
I connected to the console port with a null modem cable, but I couldn't get almost any responses.
I'm using hyperterminal with the proper port configuration (115200-8-N-1). I tried with flow control hardware and none.
When I plug the routerboard, Both leds become active, then I can hear a beep, and only the blue led remains on. The green led becomes active if I plug an ethernet cable.
I have disconnected the mini-pci adapters. I have tested with two differentes cables, and in two differents PCs.
In two times, I could get some response from the routerboard via console, with the following text:
loading kernel from nand... OK
setting up elf image... OK
jumping to kernel code
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I also tried to boot the board pressing the button S1, and with jumper JP3 (sof reset).

Is there something else I can try? It is completely bricked :? ?

QpoX

Re: RB133 bricked

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Try netinstall?

arigatox
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 pm

To enable netinstall I need to access via console first. And I can't do that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 am

if you can get this to display in console, this means you could get something else too. what you see is already too late, you need to see the bootloader loading, and then hit the "any key" to enter settings. kernel errors come after bootloader, when RouterOS fails to load.

S1 button holding loads the backup bootloader, if the original one should be corrupted.

shortening the jumper and booting would clear RouterOS settings, but it's pointless, as you don't have RouterOS (it's corrupted) .

arigatox
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks Normis. I'll try again, but I already boot that board for more than 40 times, and only in two times I could get some response.
In the manual says that I have to press "any key", "del key" or "backspace key", depending on the hardware. Is there any chance to know which one should I press?
Please, do not misunderstand me, I´m not asking "where's the any key?" (homer simpson epic fail) :lol:

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:37 pm

In terminal window when connection by serial port you should see the message to press the "any key" to enter routerboot options right before the information you posted. From there you can tell the unit to boot via ethernet and use netinstall to restore RouterOS. This prevents the unit from attempting to boot from the nand where the broken RouterOS currectly resides. Once RouterOS is installed make sure you update the RouterBoard firmware to v2.18, and disable all unnecesary packages prior to programming the unit. I have v3.x runing on hundreds of RB133 with few troubles (other then they are slow) but only if I keep them as basic as possible.

Cheers