Community discussions

MikroTik App

adirir
just joined
Topic Author

Router board model selection new Wireless ISP

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:20 am

Hi,
I am new to Mikrotik product, but familiar with Cisco. Would like to setup new ISP for several cities, if success on that one main city then would like to expand to the other cities. I will have broadband via satellite, and then divide the bandwitd to home users residential. Most of these customer will not have computer in their homes, but they will use the connection as VOIP (ATA) connected to client bridge AP such as cheap CPE (nanostation2, loco2, engenius2610) ect. Some will be browsing the internet needing very small bandwidth.

I will have satelitte modem connected to RB1000 and I will have RB433AH with 2 R52N or R5H with 2 (23dbi and up antennas) set up as point to multipoint... connecting to client bridges to start in one central area of the city... then add more RB433AH as I grow... is this the way to go?

There are 2 big mountains outside the city and scattered small hills inside the city, but no big tress, or very many high bldgs, most of the city is flat... i think antenna on 300 meter poll on top one 3 story bldg can see very far away....

One more question is there any know issue with VOIP for this wireless solution that is very important...So wireless LAN to satellite broadband of 1024KB/256KB to start with may be 50 customers...

Another question.. is RB1000 is best solution for me? It is priced $685 not sure if licenses included.? Do you recommed any other models?

I Wh

adirir
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Router board model selection new Wireless ISP

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:34 am

Hi,
I am new to Mikrotik product, but familiar with Cisco. Would like to setup new ISP for several cities, if success on that one main city then would like to expand to the other cities. I will have broadband via satellite, and then divide the bandwitd to home users residential. Most of these customer will not have computer in their homes, but they will use the connection as VOIP (ATA) connected to client bridge AP such as cheap CPE (nanostation2, loco2, engenius2610) ect. Some will be browsing the internet needing very small bandwidth.

I will have satelitte modem connected to RB1000 and I will have RB433AH with 2 R52N or R5H with 2 (23dbi and up antennas) set up as point to multipoint... connecting to client bridges to start in one central area of the city... then add more RB433AH as I grow... is this the way to go?

There are 2 big mountains outside the city and scattered small hills inside the city, but no big tress, or very many high bldgs, most of the city is flat... i think antenna on 300 meter poll on top one 3 story bldg can see very far away....

One more question is there any know issue with VOIP for this wireless solution that is very important...So wireless LAN to satellite broadband of 1024KB/256KB to start with may be 50 customers...

Another question.. is RB1000 is best solution for me? It is priced $685 not sure if licenses included.? Do you recommed any other models?

I Wh

iam8up

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:31 am

This question is a bit heavy for a public forum. I think you will want to contact a consultant.

My personal suggestion is Butch Evans at http://butchevans.com/contact.php

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 am

It all depends heavily on what you are trying to achieve, and where.

e.g.

1. What kind of backhaul do you get from your satellite feed ? (speeds, latency etc)
2. What services are you offering ? (e.g. 256k up/64k down, VoIP, VOD etc)
3. How many customers do you hope to serve ?
4. What distances/terrain are you trying to connect CPE at ?
5. What distances/terrain are you connecting your APs at ?
6. How good is the mains power ?

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:39 am

Hi,

I Wh
Few quick thoughts:
sounds like RB1000 is an overkill for bandwidth you'll be dealing with - @1024KB any RB will do, faster models will be better with QOS
'n' is so new that I would not touch it - in addition, if one of your clients is non 'n' your AP becomes 'g' anyway
I would not use more than one card of the same freq. in one RB as there is possibility of interference (especially when cards are stocked)
satellite connection latency and jitter will most likely make VOIP unreliable
23dbi antenna will not give you much coverage (10 deg or so)

bradg

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 pm

I would agree that a RB1000 is overkill for the bandwidth you need to process for a satellite connection. I would consider looking at a RB450G or RB600A as cheaper, capable alternatives.

You mention that up to 50 clients would be connected for the primary purpose of VoIP service over a satellite connection with a bandwidth of 1Mbps downstream and 256kbps upstream. Is that correct?

If that is a correct summarization, I honestly don't see that ever working at what I personally would consider an acceptable level of service for VoIP. But, basic Internet service has a fighting chance I think.

With satellite bandwidth, one-way packet latency could easily be well in excess of 500mS, which will make the quality and responsiveness of real time usage (such as VoIP) difficult - to annoying - to impossible, depending on the application. Further, VoIP service typically consumes equal amounts of bandwidth in both directions, so the limitation is the upstream capacity. Even using a G.723 codec, which has fairly low voice quality in my opinion, you will run out of available bandwidth quickly - even quicker if you have to use a higher quality codec. And, if a particular VoIP service works at all over the satellite connection, it will suffer from severe conversational lag, and end up resembling a HAM or marine 2-way radio conversation than it will a telephone conversation.

These two links should go quite a way toward explaining the challenges involved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access
http://www.wikivoip.org/page/Bandwidth+Requirements

--Brad