Community discussions

MikroTik App

motiv8d
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik Solution 3 x ADSL to 2 x ADSL PTP Bonded Link

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:36 am

Would some kind forum members please help me work out the best solution for a bonded setup?
We have head office that unfortunately can only get ADSL1 and a remote office that can get ADSL2.
We run mostly terminal session (RDP) from the remote office, some file transfer and printing traffic from head office to remote office.
Currently we have 3 separate ADSL links on main office that connect individually to 3 ADSL links at remote office.
Latency is a little over 100ms but has low jitter so works for the rdp traffic however, we are wasting a lot of bandwidth.
We would like to cancel one or two of the links at the remote site now that ADSL 2 is available there and set up a bonded point to point link between the two.
I have been told that for such a setup the ISP needs to support MLPPP. This does not entirely make sense to me. Is this the case only when control does not exist at each end (ie having a mikrotik at each end)?
Is it possible to have 3 ADSLs at one end and a different number 2 or 1 at the other for the bonding to work correctly?
Also is the 9 port Mikrotik a valid option for each endpoint or would the 1000 be required?
What is the best but economical way to do this, eg: cheap ADSL routers set to dmz connected to microtik? some type of adsl cards for the mikrotik? using a computer for mikrotic os and putting adsl cards into it? etc?
Is bonded connections likely to work well for low latency dependant traffic, like rdp & voip?

Thanks