Community discussions

MikroTik App

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VLANs VLANs VLANs!!!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Hello wise crowd!, I seek your help. I setup my mikrotik with VLAN 77 on it's eth1 as you can see on diagrams B and C and a WiMAX cell with VLAN 77 on its ethernet port (tagged only). If I check User Service Tag on my mikrotik VLAN (dawing B) the communication is lost, if I uncheck the User Service Tag (drawing C) pings start to work again. What could be the problem, what exactly does the User Service Tag do? is it Q in Q?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLANs VLANs VLANs!!!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Yes, the user service tag is q-in-q.

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Yes, the user service tag is q-in-q.
Hello fewi, thanks again. How do I tag a vlan in mikrotik?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Connect the ethernet interface of a RouterOS device to another device that does dot1q. Create a VLAN interface with the ethernet port as the parent, and apply the VLAN id you want (like creating a dot1 sub-interface on a Cisco router). Traffic from the VLAN network will go out the ethernet interface with the VLAN id tagged.

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Connect the ethernet interface of a RouterOS device to another device that does dot1q. Create a VLAN interface with the ethernet port as the parent, and apply the VLAN id you want (like creating a dot1 sub-interface on a Cisco router). Traffic from the VLAN network will go out the ethernet interface with the VLAN id tagged.
Thank you fewi, let me be sure of what I will do: I will create a VLAN, then associate it with a physical interface. That interface will be connected to a tagged port (wimax cell or switch) and since the switch/wimax cell port is tagged all my traffic entering and exiting the router will be tagged right?

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:25 am

Do not use "User Service Tag".
That's like VLAN inside VLAN.