Community discussions

MikroTik App

wireless12
Topic Author

strange problem, its irritating

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:26 pm

hello..frds

i hav got three 120 sectors on my mast...for 2 years now. (without any problem )one of my sector antenna is facing towards west..unfortunately 15-20 days back a new competitor has installed his mast 400 meter away towards west side of my tower he is using one omni antenna for disturbtion of internet.

for last more then 15 days few of my west side sector clients are having assocation problem.
they got disconnect and they hav to again connect to my sector manualy..even sometimes manualy also they dont connect.

i hav noticed two starnge things
when i do a site survey i notice few networks without SSID(may be hidden) its happening only frm that day the competitor installed his equipments on his mast.

is he is really creating some problem if yes then how to fight it, and if no why such starnge issue is happening.

thx
regards..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eneimi

Re: strange problem, its irritating

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 am

First off, you didn't mention what type of hardware your APs are running? What RB? What mini-PCI cards? Do you have amps installed?

From the AP scan in the second image, channel 6 is packed full; I count 11 of the 20 APs in the list using channel 6 - you can hardly breathe in that channel! I suggest you use a relatively decongested fixed channel on your AP and ensure your clients are fixed on it as well.

Have you checked the noise floor on the mini pci card in question?
The card may be fried.
You may want to tinker with adaptive noise immunity setting, if supported; or try changing the card if convenient.

The first image shows a signal of 42db. I'm not familiar with TP-Link hardware but if that's equivalent to -42db then your signal is way too strong and could also cause problems. -60db (maybe 60db with your hardware) or lower should improve things.

Your cables, connectors, or other hardware.. - a number of other possibilities exist which could easily explain your situation, and I would rather concentrate on these rather than the new omni 400m away! I don't think they are the source of this problem. In fact, they may have just helped you identify a weakness in your network.

wireless12
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

dear@eneimi...thx
i m using RB411AH with alfa-200 mw card. i m running on channel 13 (my ssid is MOSSKER) and my competitor ssid is alpha numeric(if u look into the scan list)
if u deeply notice the sacn list u find the hidden SSID's all run on channel 6, and look at the mac address of all those hidden SSID, it seems that they are some tricky thing to spoil my network, even my competitor runs on channel six..and not a single cleint is effected but 7-8 clients are effected specially those who are close to the mast of my competitor.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 am

hello..frds

i hav got three 120 sectors on my mast...for 2 years now. (without any problem )one of my sector antenna is facing towards west..unfortunately 15-20 days back a new competitor has installed his mast 400 meter away towards west side of my tower he is using one omni antenna for disturbtion of internet.

for last more then 15 days few of my west side sector clients are having assocation problem.
they got disconnect and they hav to again connect to my sector manualy..even sometimes manualy also they dont connect.

i hav noticed two starnge things
when i do a site survey i notice few networks without SSID(may be hidden) its happening only frm that day the competitor installed his equipments on his mast.

is he is really creating some problem if yes then how to fight it, and if no why such starnge issue is happening.

thx
regards..
My guess is that the MAC addresses without SSID are ethernet ports on the same AP 00-0C-42-60-49-99. I don't know why they all begin with 02 but one is the same as this AP but with an 02 in place of the 00. The rest of the MAC addresses are consecutive numbers from this. Maybe this is a RB493 and all ethernet ports are bridged to his wlan.

I suggest that you talk to your competitor and let him know about your problems since he sewt up his gear. You don't have anything to lose and it is obvious that he can affect your network without your permission.

Tom

texaco
just joined

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:24 am

try changing ssid and hide the new ssid.. you might be very surprised it fixes that issue.. he may be using your ssid on vap with them hidden that dont route to internet thus your customers are wireless to him instead of you.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 am

the mac ids r all VIRTUAL AP'S created on mikrotik n they do cause lot of irritation. ur competitor seems a learner