Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dmitrijs
just joined
Topic Author

Choosing the correct RouterBOARD

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Hello TO ALL!

I am looking for the correct RouterBOARD for my HOME use only. I found some models, but I am not sure this is what I need.
I am using 100Mbit/s from one of Latvian Internet providers(Plan to have more bandwith). I have following network elements:
1) Home desktop PC - always on (upnp enabled). Connected via cable
2) 2xLaptops - connected via WiFi, sometimes with cable
3) NAS - always on. Connected via cable
4) XBOX - Connected via cable
5) Samsung LCD TV - Connected via cable (upnp enabled)
6) Yamaha audio/video receiver - Connected via cable (upnp enabled)
7) Some PDA, Smartphones,etc - connected via WiFi
All my devices connected to 10-port switch (except desktop PC - it connected to router directly). The switch itself connected to router. So it's normal setup as many have :) No surpize. My current SOHO Belkin N WiFi router is not able to handle more then 50Mbit/sec. speedtest and others showing around 20-30 rarely 40Mb. When I connect desktop PC, or any of laptops PC's directly, without router, speedtest showing 80-90Mb. My first thought was it's switch fault. Changed it to brand new - same story. Changed to another - same story. OK. Changed the router to home made router (PC based,mATX) - hurray! Speedtest showing around 90 all the time. After that I decided to have one of professional made routers. As I am in Riga - I want MikroTIK! :)
My needs:
1) WiFi N
2) PPPoE
3) DHCP
4) UPNP
5) FIREWALL
6) MAC control
I found RB433AH + R52N (for the WiFi) or RB433UAH the same as RB433AH but with USB support + my existing switch. OR RB493/493AH with 9 RJ45 ports and CONNECT ALL OF my devices to router directly? What is the difference between 493 and 493AH except CPU,memory and licences? What do you think will fit my needs? Did I missed oter models? Or can you suggest other models?
Thank you,
Dmitrijs

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Choosing the correct RouterBOARD

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 am

493 would be good, as you don't really need the extra CPU power (it is only needed if you will have tons of firewall rules, queues and some extreme routing tables), and it's nice to keep a small number of devices. why keep an extra switch and wires?

also, if you are not in a rush, you could wait a few months until we make a wifi home device like the RB750.

Dmitrijs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am

Thank Normis!

I confused about RB493 model. CPU and Memory in this model - the same as I have in my Belkin home router. And my Belkin just can't handle full speed connection. Also, if I undrstand correctly RB493 is in low segment (http://routerboard.com/pdf/RouterBOARD_ ... arison.pdf), below my needs. But do you think, would it be enought for home 100Mbit/s? Or at least 80-90?

Regarding RB433AH and RB493AH - I like them most. I see RB493AH will best fit my needs, but before buying it, I must check possibility of connecting all of my devices to this RB directly. Less cables, less hardware - nice :) But as part of my cables are inside the walls and that's why I am using switch :( If for some reason I can't connect my devices directly to RB93AH, I will go with RB433AH + switch. But if I will continue using switch + RB433AH, will it be OK, in terms of speed?

Also, when do you plan to have home WiFi device like RB750?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 am

haha, don't compare this device to your b**kin :D it's a completely different class of device. Like comparing your kitchen bread knife to a leatherman tool. Or Ford Ka to Land Rover :)

As you saw yourself, in that chart, the RB493 can reach port-throughtput (Ie. port1 to port2 will be 100+100=197Mbit actual throughput).

Using RB493 instead of a switch gives you tons more management possibilities. Because the extra ports in that device are not just passive switch ports, they are all individual ethernet interfaces, so you can make subnets and all kinds of control configurations if you want. if you don't want that - you can group any number of them in switches (this device has switch chips). if using switch chips, there is no speed limit, it goes straight through.

Dmitrijs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Yes, I know I shouldn't compare different class of devices as they are complete different. But I was just thinking that if CPU and memory are the same it works the same! And it was my mistake looking into datasheet not so carefull :) I just not sure that with RB493 I can route all my cables to one point.

BTW, when do you plan to have new home WiFi model like RB750?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 pm

which belkin uses AR7130 CPU ?

I don't know when, but a home wireless device in RB7xx series is planned.

Dmitrijs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm

F5D8233-4, information about CPU was found on DD-WRT forum.