Community discussions

MikroTik App

sparki
just joined
Topic Author

RB1100 connecting to a Juniper switch @ gigabit speed

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 am

We've had issues trying to peer with another provider who uses a Juniper switch. Patching from the Juniper gigabit port to the RB1100 results in the Mikrotik freezing almost immediately.

We tried different ports 8,10 and 12 all with the same results. To bypass the issue we manually set the port speed at 100Mbps and it seems stable at the moment. Testing on the unit is very limited as it controls a major part of the network.

I would like to change back to gigabit speed ASAP so I was wondering if anyone out there has seen similar issues or knows how to fix it.

Cheers,
Dan

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB1100 connecting to a Juniper switch @ gigabit speed

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 am

• What RouterOS version are you using?
  • What Juniper switch model is it?
  • Are both devices grounded properly?
  • Was auto-negotiation enabled on either end during the test?
  • How long cable are you using and have you tested with another one?

sparki
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB1100 connecting to a Juniper switch @ gigabit speed

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm

* What RouterOS version are you using? At the time I believe it was running V3.11 but is now on V5.1 and has not been tested due to not being able to test it while in production and with no physical access without a trip to the DC.
* What Juniper switch model is it? Unknown, will have to inquire as it was done by the DC crew while I was on the other end.
* Are both devices grounded properly? Both are plugged into the power supply with earthing and I presume the DC racks are earthed
* Was auto-negotiation enabled on either end during the test? It was initially on but was turned off to resolve the issue. It is currently set to 100Mbps and working fine
* How long cable are you using and have you tested with another one? They would have been short patch leads but the cable distance could have been up to 25-30 meters as the switches were in different racks. I don't believe another lead was used on the second try. After the second outage we stopped testing and had to leave it.