MikroTik App

dconnrt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

reinstall routeros *without* serial - is it possible

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

Hi all,

I had a problem with MT boards before where I let the license timeout (upgrade from 3.X to 4.X) - silly I know. On that occasion I pulled down the boards and used a serial cable and ethernet cable to reinstall routeros - all went fine.

I might have a problem with another MT board - its a long way away and I haven't physically gone to it to power cycle it, etc but neighboring boards don't seem to be able to mac-telnet into it even though it appears in the IP->Neighbors listing (max-telnet asks for username/password but then almost instantly disconnects). Maybe the board has just crashed and needs a power cycle which I haven't done yet (but I'm suspicious because I don't see that happening often/ever).

If it turns out that I need to re-install routeros on to the board is it possible to do the reinstall without getting physical access to the board itself (i.e. can bootp/tftp work a power-up time without a serial cable attached to the MikroTik board?)

thanks,

Derek

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: reinstall routeros *without* serial - is it possible

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 am

you somehow need to enable booting from network. it can be done from within the bootloader (need serial), RouterOS itself (you don't have access to it) or via the button on some devices (you don't have access to it).