Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Antennas

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi there.

can antenna's just break?

To me they jsut look like a piece of metal?

Reason i am asking is i have a sector up at the top of my tree, and one day all my clients signal dropped allot, so i got a new wireless AP cause i thought that that had gone, but now its still not performing,

So i think my sector could be the problem? but how do you really test if a antenna is working 100% cause there is no like set signal that it should be when you "this" far away?

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Antennas

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:58 am

How do you test an antenna, if you don't have expensive test equipment? Replace it with a new good one! If the problem is fixed, throw the old antenna away. If it makes no difference, it must be something else.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 am

Hi there.

can antenna's just break?

To me they jsut look like a piece of metal?

Reason i am asking is i have a sector up at the top of my tree, and one day all my clients signal dropped allot, so i got a new wireless AP cause i thought that that had gone, but now its still not performing,

So i think my sector could be the problem? but how do you really test if a antenna is working 100% cause there is no like set signal that it should be when you "this" far away?
With this symptoms we had 2 different problems:
- static discharge killing the receiver of the card (seen this with omni only) -> change card
- water in the cable connectors -> check connectors

Antenna is the least likely problem.

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:36 am

I would just replace the antenna, but thats cost a few bucks, then if its not that then you waisted you cash,

Thats why i thought it was best to replace the radio, cause the sector is like just a piece of metal, it did not get a direct lightning hit or anything,

I will try play around thanks.

Zapnologica
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 am

I would just replace the antenna, but thats cost a few bucks, then if its not that then i waisted my cash,

Thats why i thought it was best to replace the radio, cause the sector is like just a piece of metal, it did not get a direct lightning hit or anything,

I will try play around thanks.