Community discussions

MikroTik App

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ROS 4.7??? to fix USB 3G modems

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:43 am

I saw another post that indicated that MT might be working on fixing the driver for the Sierra Wireless USB modems. Will this be in 4.7? When will that be released?

Anxious to get the issues we are seeing with the 598U and 760U fixed. These are critical for Verizon and Sprint, who are really the only viable 3G carriers for most markets due to coverage. BTW the 598U is authorized on both networks.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ROS 4.7??? to fix USB 3G modems

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Please install v5.0beta1 as we have newer 3g drivers there.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Nope, the 5.0beta1 behaves the same way as 4.6. It varies between not finding the USB port for the 3G card, coming up with invalid status for the USB, and coming up properly.

Does this for both the 598U and 760U on both the RB411U and RB433UAH.

Nothing in the logs (debug, ppp, error) to indicate that there is a problem with usb, so it appears that ROS does not even know that the device is present when it fails.

Hot plugging the modem gets the drivers loaded and the board detected, but this is not a solution for what we need.

It seems that this is more of a problem with the USB hot plug driver than the driver for the modem. Since once the USB port is detected, the modem driver seems to work fine.

Any other suggestions?

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:10 pm

I just setup a 411U w/ 5.0b1 with my girlfriends Verizon 760 USB and it works like a champ. Connection has been up for 12 hours straight. Hotplugging the USB adapter works too. If she wants to go on the road, she can just unplug it and leave, and then plug it back in when she returns and the connection pops up on a few seconds.

I have no cause to complain so far.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:22 am

The problem is not on plugging into a running system, it is from cold boot. If you are leaving the modem plugged in all the time (seal inside an enclosure for example), then the USB port is detected properly about 30% of the time when system is started (my experience across multiple boards and multiple builds of ROS).

I too have found that plugging in the modem to a running system seems to work fine.

I just went out and purchased a Pantech UMW190 to test. If this does not work, then there are no currently supported modems for Verizon that run properly on ROS. I will let you know what I find.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:11 am

The Pantech UMW190 works flawlessly. Cold booted 20 times with no issues. Warm rebooted 20 times with no issue. No lcp errors, no disconnects. Tested with both ROS4.6 and 5.9b1.

This is not a cheap modem. It is multiband supporting both GSM, UMTS, and CDMA. Primary carrier is Verizon CDMA and then roams out to other networks. Works fine on Verizon standard EvDO plan or you can buy a Global Roaming plan which fails over to other networks if CDMA is not available.

Too many issues with the Sierra Wireless and Novatel modems.

Now I just have to figure out which modem to use for Sprint.

I would still like to see someone address cold boot issues with USB hotplug driver. I think this is still an important issue to fix.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Ive cold-started this thing 3-4 times on the 760 and havent had a problem.