Community discussions

MikroTik App

dboillot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Question about Hardware

Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Hello, I was told about "the dude" and router OS and I was doing some reading and came across some videos. In one of the videos the guy says something about a router board with DSL modems? Do they have such a device? What i'm looking for is a device with 2 or 4 DSL modems that we can do bandwith shaping/throttling and monitoring on, and if possible, monitoring for each node/ip address on the "inside". If they dont have and boards w/ the DSL modems in, that's no big deal.. Which brings me to my next question, to use "the dude" do I have to have either a router board, or router OS(either on the board, or installed in windows?)? Im alittle confused on that as they have 'the dude' under there free tools... and is the dude server the same as the free tool? i've seen it talked about a few times but i havn't seen anything as to what it is and how you get it..

TIA and sorry for the sloppy format!

Drew

jgellis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Question about Hardware

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:56 am

There are no Routerboards with DSL modems built in. You would connect your DSL modems to the Routerboard via ether or build an x86 machine perhaps with PCI or similar DSL cards inside and install RouterOS onto the box.

The Dude is a free server and client app all in one. It does not require any Mikrotik devices to function. It installs on either a high power RouterBoard, or onto a Windows box (Windows box recommended). It can be used to monitor any network reachable device, whether that means just pinging monitoring it, or gathering statistics via SNMP.