Community discussions

MikroTik App

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB1100 small built material issue

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm

I just got this lovely baby 2 days ago,when i want to open the case by screwdriver,the screw itself easily 'melt' causing 2 of the 7 screw protecting the case cann't be opened because of have been damaged,i have some suggestion :
1. Next time please use more high quality screw,it seem on RB 1100 mikrotik using screw which made from aluminium alloy not a pure steel or aluminium mixed with steel,this is causing the screw to easily melted when putting too much pressure on it when opening with screwdriver,i think good screws only cost you another 1$ for every 30 pieces?.
2. Please don't tightened up the screw too deep,in this case because of Mikrotik put the screw too tight,i need to put some pressure to open it

Now i need to borrow a drill to open it :( and also a air compressor to clean it from casing steel and aluminium left over which going to be on some area on board,i just don't want to cause short circuit just because of these tiny fragment :lol: ,i don't either this case is belong to rma or just small Quality Assurance glitch?but eventough if it possible to RMA,i am not going to spend 60$ to sent over to lithuania(wifi-stocks.com) and another 60$ for return :( + 90$ taxes :shock: ,i am quite dissapointed by this minor issues but overall is really a great product.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB1100 small built material issue

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 am

you used wrong type of screwdriver to open it. If using correct bit, with tight fit, it won't happen. I am speaking from experience :)

Although you are right, wrong screwdriver can destroy screw. We will see how to improve the screws.

aaa

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 am

Use qualitative PH2 screwdriver to open it. About screw tighten you are right it's too strong.

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:23 pm

i use the correct screwdriver(4 junction one,i don't how to call this in english lol),does mikrotik using automatic screwdriver drill?because if so,it's explains the really tight screwing,these 2 screws i cann't open it again as i was become pissed off and trying to manual drill using the screwdriver :? 8) ,oh well i need dreamel mini drill to open it :(.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 pm

of course, the boxes are factory assembled, not by hand.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 am

Use qualitative PH2 screwdriver to open it. About screw tighten you are right it's too strong.
It requires a #2 phillips bit. Most 3mm screws use a #1 phillips bit.

The #1 bit will be loose in the #2 screw socket and has the potential to ruin it.

Even armed with this vast knowledge, I only used a #2 driver and still stripped out one of these screws trying to open an RB1100. The screws are fragile.

IMHO They are also torqued too tight.

Tom

PS I was able to remove it with an awl and small hammer. Driving the head the correct direction until it became loose.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:39 am

Then please ask the factory to use less torque on the screws.

Tom

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:31 pm

PS I was able to remove it with an awl and small hammer. Driving the head the correct direction until it became loose.
I couldn't use small hammer as i am afraid it might damaged the Serial port,because one of two screws that cann't be opened is on the back of the casing,i cann't experiment much with 'violence' with these stuff as it's expensive for my families,and need to indent couple weeks :shock: to order one :lol: . I am waiting for my mini drill dreamel to arrive soon,it has small drill sets that use mostly on r/c modelling hobby.

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Tom
Bad news,using small drill no use,failed :(,the drill head melt :/,can you post the picture of the awl and small hammer?i am from non-western country,kind of confused by the term awl,only found this kind of awl on the internet : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_awl.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm

We have talked to the factory to decrease the power used when assembling the case, and also to include extra strength coating on the custom screw heads.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Tom
Bad news,using small drill no use,failed :(,the drill head melt :/,can you post the picture of the awl and small hammer?i am from non-western country,kind of confused by the term awl,only found this kind of awl on the internet : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_awl.
Yes, that is what I used. Place the sharp point near the outside edge of the screw head and lightly tap with a small hammer in a counterclockwise (anticlockwise) direction. If you have the correct angle, the tip of the awl will dig into the screw head enough to grip it. The light tapping of the hammer is like an impact wrench and will loosen the screw.

This technique worked for me but I also have many years of mechanical experience. In the 1970s I worked as a motorcycle mechanic. We had similar problems with Japanese motorcycles which used many tight phillips head screws.

Good luck,

Tom