Community discussions

MikroTik App

khattam
just joined
Topic Author

What board for home user

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi, I have just found these RouterBoard after looking into replacing my home router. I've done a little bit research on them and they sound very good... better than consumer routers.

I have a few questions that should help me identify what to buy that I hope someone would kindly help me with.

- The RB450G looks very good with the 5 gigabit ports but it lacks wireless or mpci slots to add one. Is there another board that I am not seeing with this functionality?

- Would I be better off building one that would simply server as a router and wireless access point and attach a good gigabit switch?

Essentially, I am looking to build a router with wireless N and gigabit ports for a home environment.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

negge

Re: What board for home user

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm

As a home user I can recommend an RB433 with an external gigabit switch, unless you need gigabit for the WAN link(s) as well. The board has multiple expansion slots so you just need to get a wireless card and one or two antennas and you're good to go.

khattam
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Ok so if I go for a RB433 and get a R52hn wireless card do I need one or two antennas? Are they just for 5ghz and 2ghz or do they send and receive?

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 am

R52N Wireless card will not give you 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

It will give you Either 5Ghz OR 2.4Ghz, but with the ability to use 2 antennas.

It's called Multi-In Multi-Out (MIMO), meaning that you have 2+ antennas, but on the same frequency.

For a Home setup, you will not need 300Mb/s throughput, unless you have a fibre-optic feed from some Future supplier.

Better to buy 2x R52 cards and set one for 2.4 Ghz and one for 5Ghz if you want both frequencies.

You will need a RB133, RB112 (if available) , RB333 (if available) or RB433 becasue they have more than 1 miniPCI slots.

If you just want 1 frequency, choose a Crossroads or RB411, it will be cheaper.