Community discussions

MikroTik App

tamirste
just joined
Topic Author

SFP and DSL support

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I would like to know if someone see a demand for having a router which is based on the RB450/G, RB750/G and 493 which will include SFP and DSL support?
How much will you agree to pay for such router?
It's important for us to know to see if it worth for us to provide such DSL and SFP support to these boards?

Tamir Steinberg

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: SFP and DSL support

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:34 pm

We do have some plans in that direction. Just wait.

tamirste
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Can we have some timeframe please?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 am

lol, "when it's ready" will be the answer to that one ;)

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:28 am

MT keeps it's hardware underwraps until it's ready which is good, for as many product's as they release there are few flaws in them

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 pm

There is always options, currently you can hit http://www.mikrotikrouter.com for SFP options. . I believe RouterOS supports some DSL cards as well.

tamirste
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 am

There is always options, currently you can hit http://www.mikrotikrouter.com for SFP options. . I believe RouterOS supports some DSL cards as well.
Thx gmsmsr, but my intention was for more smaller CPEs, such as 450G/750G/433 to have an SFP and/or ADSL option, by that operators can have low cost CPE which they able to connect to their Metro or MPLS infrastructure using direct fiber connection.
Does anyone see a sense for such router ?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am

I see sense for a "desktop" router with say following specs:

2x Shared Copper/SFP Connectors (North/South MPLS) (By shared I mean the user can choose to use the copper or the SFP connector but not both at once)
4+ Gigabit ethernet connectors
Support for Jumbo Frames (realistically needed for VPLS)
1gigabit+ throughput
Some sort of secure power connector, rather than a barrel plug which can easily come out, maybe an integrated PSU like the RB1100 but with a push down metal clip to lock the IEC connector in place.
Front-to-back airflow
Optional rack-mount kit with brackets to fit into a standard 19" frame

This would be ideal for terminating MPLS circuits, with multi-path redundancy via fibre.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:46 am

This would be ideal for terminating MPLS circuits, with multi-path redundancy via fibre.
Just how many vpls/mpls tag's are you putting in there??? 1522 max mtu on modern RB's give's you a full 1500byte packet with room for 5 tags on top

tamirste
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 am

I see sense for a "desktop" router with say following specs:

2x Shared Copper/SFP Connectors (North/South MPLS) (By shared I mean the user can choose to use the copper or the SFP connector but not both at once)
4+ Gigabit ethernet connectors
1gigabit+ throughput
Some sort of secure power connector, rather than a barrel plug which can easily come out, maybe an integrated PSU like the RB1100 but with a push down metal clip to lock the IEC connector in place.
Front-to-back airflow
Optional rack-mount kit with brackets to fit into a standard 19" frame

Then go for the 732 model at this link: http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/
It's not cover what you want ?

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:24 pm

ya, it fits the needs.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Then go for the 732 model at this link: http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/
It's not cover what you want ?
If I wanted something like this, I would just buy a box from one of the many Taiwanese manufacturers and load the x86 version of RouterOS on it.

I, and I am sure many others would prefer a Mikrotik manufactured, and supported product. This way you are assured of compatibility and future support, and if you have a problem, you only have to contact Mikrotik to get it resolved.

cbscpe
just joined

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes I would also like to see a router with a SFP slot from Mikrotik which is officially supported. Some sort of 750G with a combo SFP/Copper Port for Ethernet 1 (The Gateway Ethernet Port). The SFP Slot however should support both 100Mbps and 1000Mbps SFPs (there are many FTTH services that use 100BaseBX, therefore It must support a 100BaseBX-U SFP). The routers on the link provided by gmsmstr which support an optional SFP are way too big and expensive.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

I am working since several years with MT. Meanwhile I see that customer demands changed. A small service interruption was not a problem some years ago. Today the business changed and everyone is at the availibillity-hype (We can't work ... We saw that there was a ping missing while pinging to a host in the antarctic :( :lol:).

Today we try to setup the mail link with fibre and do some wireless backup. For that we need sfp-slots. I would also think a fibre based wirless CPE for central towers would be a nice idear. Take a cable with 36 fibres and some copper power line on the top an you will have no problems with EMC and over voltage from lighthning (power copper ist easy to protect).

Mikrotik! You have a perfect software base with an really innovative user interface. Use it to build some products for really professional use. It is easy. Take the chance.

For the CPE I would like to see
- a professional Power connector
- 1 or 2 SFP-Slots with OAM
- An fully implemented MPLS with all the missing features

For an core router for example RB1xxx

- Dual power Option AC and DC at the frontside
- 4 or more SFP slots (24) with OAM
- Switchable POE-Ports
- 8 Digital I/O (for monitoring UPS, Doors ...)
- Temperature, Voltage and FanSpeed-Monitoring

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

I am gonna need about 4 to 5 thousand boards with sfp suppor

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:27 am

I am working on a fiber-to-the-home project to 4 to 5 thousand homes. I would like to know when we might have some information as to what mikrotik may have to offer in the near future.
I am needing at least 3 gig ethernet ports and sfp support for a single strand of fiber. We may go active ethernet or pon.

Sooo - when can I get some info?

Tom Jones

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:51 am

SFP support is important. We are using preferably fiber links. We could use it easily for CPE wifi devices, using mixte Fiber / Copper cable (copper for powering).

Having SFP support directly on end devices would be a very good point. We'd like to see this on cameras, phones, wifi, and router devices.

Often we need to buy expensive media converters or 8 ports switches to convert between copper / fiber.

It seems that SFP sockets are not much expensives. Even SFP modules today are quite low cost, even for monomode.

True 802.3af POE support would be better as well than proprietary POE.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:48 am

SFP's on CPE's?? Really? What FTTH deployment do you work with as most around the world are PON based and require ONT's which spit it out as Ethernet.

I can see the need for SFP options in routers and RB1100 like products but slapping one on a CPE is a bit of a waste

802.3af would be handy tho :) PoE switch's with remote reboot functions!

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 am

No a Router with SFP option could be usefull for linking Wifi devices or inter building fiber links. I don't like to link Wifi through copper. It's expensive because of needed storms protections.

For inter building, there is no option. All our links are fiber.

FTTH is not yet very developped here, but should be the main technology used in a couple year, as it has been decided by autorities.

One of our three biggest provider has a full deployment with true FTTH in big cites.

The biggest one would prefere PON, because this would allow him to keep technical (and commercial) control on local fiber loops. But this has not been accepted for new deployments.

Anyway copper will not survive 10 years more. Too much expensive now. Most xDSL investments have been stopped here.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 am

Good point but that's hardly a CPE :P Fibre is the only way for inter-building system. PON is the way forward for FTTH, most current deployments use it, Active fibre drives up costs and complexity. Putting user accessibly fibre in the home just leads to support nightmares with dust and smoked fibre.

SFP's are needed tho, Our FTTH project hands off to the ISP as raw strands and currently we patch this into a switch with a SFP and then put it into an RB.

DSL is a good idea aswell, My boss has always stated the only time we will ever offer DSL services is if MT put a DSL card in a RB, Coppers on it's way out but when you get outside the dense population area's copper will be around for a while and represents a nice market for many ISP's

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

xDSL will be needed in the UK for a long time to come.

Also lots of our customers want a nice simple one box solution including wifi and dsl

Nick.

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Still waiting for Mikrotik's/Normis' plans...

I'm completely hot for a RB750 with SFP and a RB1100 with SFP.

My first priority has the RB750 with SFP, because at the moment we have to use CPEs by an other vendor or MikroTiks with some stupid converter in front of them. Both options suck. Would be so great to have it in one box to use for FTTH customers!

KR,
uebi

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 pm

didn't you receive the latest MUM announcement mail?
:wink:

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:48 pm

didn't you receive the latest MUM announcement mail?
:wink:

"Announcing SOHO AP, SFP fiber device etc.- more than ten new products, never seen before"

Sure :-)

Just wondering what it will be! Hope it will match my dreams/wishes in some way... ;-)

KR

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:49 pm

only one way to find out, come to the MUM

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Believe it or not (or verify it *G*), I just booked :-)

It's time anyway, my last MUM was Krakow...

uebi

lionelpcn
just joined

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi guys

This is an old topic now but just thought Id add something.

We obviously now have TBs with SFP but I don't know of a way other than using a DSL modem as a bridge to sync with your DSLAM / MSAN or am I missing something?

troffasky

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 pm

An SFP with DSL would be cool, but I don't think such a thing exists, or is even feasible [ie you probably can't fit the necessary electronics into an SFP-sized module], and I don't know if there's enough scope in the SFP spec in order to be able to communicate all the required parameters to the SFP [username, password, VPI/VCI, etc].

I too would like to see some DSL CPE from Mikrotik, but I get the feeling that perhaps the time to start on new DSL products has passed.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:27 am

An SFP with DSL would be cool, but I don't think such a thing exists, or is even feasible [ie you probably can't fit the necessary electronics into an SFP-sized module], and I don't know if there's enough scope in the SFP spec in order to be able to communicate all the required parameters to the SFP [username, password, VPI/VCI, etc].

I too would like to see some DSL CPE from Mikrotik, but I get the feeling that perhaps the time to start on new DSL products has passed.
why not ? aside VPI/VCI and etc, easily added - other stuff - already supported by RouterOS.
no need for additional protocols and such, cuz they are ALREADY there, whether they use PPoE, ATM, or mix it with VPN of some kind.
contrary to xPON devices, which imply some creepy modifications in routeros and lot of work to do it.
but unlikely such SFP module - come from MikroTik itself and without them - hardly there point to work around implementation/support.

troffasky

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:30 am

I don't know why not. I don't know enough about the SFP spec to know if it's possible. There is an I2C bus for talking to the SFP with, perhaps that would be sufficient?

I know if you wanted to add some proprietary bits you could do it, but then if it's not going to be backward compatible with all the Routerboard hardware with SFP slots it's less appealing.

Every DSL interface I've seen has an isolating transformer, capacitors, etc on the board which I doubt would fit in an SFP module...but never say never!

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 am

I don't know why not. I don't know enough about the SFP spec to know if it's possible. There is an I2C bus for talking to the SFP with, perhaps that would be sufficient?

I know if you wanted to add some proprietary bits you could do it, but then if it's not going to be backward compatible with all the Routerboard hardware with SFP slots it's less appealing.

Every DSL interface I've seen has an isolating transformer, capacitors, etc on the board which I doubt would fit in an SFP module...but never say never!
you can see "isolating transformers" even of RB copper ethernet interfaces :)
they not essentially to have fist-sized core made from iron/ferrites in their heart =)
real trouble is: nobody care/bother to do xDSL products in SFP from-factor. Ever, AFAIK.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 pm

+1 to VDSL2 and G.fast SFP

sindudas

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:22 pm

What about the support ADSL/VDSL/... in Mikrotik?
It will be possible, Normis?

Regards

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Normis, can you please through light on this topic?
There are more than one thread here, where users request xDSL support in Mikrotik products.