Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ehman
Topic Author

Hi, I want to backup my routerboard :( dunno how

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi, I want to backup my RB750G, but can't find a way, and doing a search here, give me this "No suitable matches were found."

:(

So please u cleaver people help me?

I just want to backup my config file, I want to download it and store it on my PC, in case something happens to my RB750G or I want to install that backup file on another RB750G and my other place, its a heavy firewall gateway config, and I tested it... its perfect

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Hi, I want to backup my routerboard :( dunno how

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:43 pm

have a read of http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Co ... Management and let us know how you go.

Ehman
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 pm

have a read of http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Co ... Management and let us know how you go.
I just logged into my RB with a FTP client, lol, And there is only one file with the name "autosupout.old.rif"

if not... is there any other GUI method to do this, command line makes no sense to me, I want to see a browse, save, and download backup file from devices like most other devices

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:05 pm

the command line can be very powerful and alot quicker once you get used to it. if you follow the instructions you should be right. Otherwise in winbox goto files, then click backup then grab the .backup file it just created and drag it onto your desktop

Ehman
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:15 pm

the command line can be very powerful and alot quicker once you get used to it. if you follow the instructions you should be right. Otherwise in winbox goto files, then click backup then grab the .backup file it just created and drag it onto your desktop
ah this looks better... :) thx :)

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:17 pm

watch out though as i think that it will contain all your mac addresses and everything so that may not be the best solution to copying the config. you may want to look at that link on how to export the config and then remove with notepad all the mac addresses and such

Ehman
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:26 pm

watch out though as i think that it will contain all your mac addresses and everything so that may not be the best solution to copying the config. you may want to look at that link on how to export the config and then remove with notepad all the mac addresses and such
What MAC's will it store? the device is only a firewall, and splitting 2 LAN's to make them private, but they use the same WAN (internet) DHCP client, no user management or anything..

Ivoshiee

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 pm

That backup is quite useless feature. Why should one need a running system configuration image what can not be examined/observed/modified? By the nature of it you can not even replicate it to other similar pieces of hardware. Export has a true backup function. Unfortunately that command does get broken from time to time by MT developers.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 pm

To backup and restore the configuration i use the following

from terminal type

export file=backup15Feb2011

hit return key and wait till command line returns (note you use any name for file= )

Now in your router "Files" there will be as in my example "backup15Feb2011.rsc", drag to your computer and to restore this configuration drag it back to files (or if the backup is still there) then reboot the router - done
That backup is quite useless feature. Why should one need a running system configuration image what can not be examined/observed/modified? By the nature of it you can not even replicate it to other similar pieces of hardware. Export has a true backup function. Unfortunately that command does get broken from time to time by MT developers.
Explain which version of MK has broken export commands?

Ivoshiee

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 am

Explain which version of MK has broken export commands?
For your reading pleasure:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13507
Note: That issue never got resolved.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks, Interesting reading but and this topic is several years old it also refers to older routerboards RB112 with much less CPU power and using OS 2.9.39,41,42 , and i must admit i never had any problems with using RB411 starting with 3.30,4.11,4.15,4.16 and now RB711 also OK with 433,493,RB750, i can only assume the export issue mentioned in that topic is fixed in os versions since then and boards with higher spec CPU's

Ivoshiee

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks, Interesting reading but and this topic is several years old it also refers to older routerboards RB112 with much less CPU power and using OS 2.9.39,41,42 , and i must admit i never had any problems with using RB411 starting with 3.30,4.11,4.15,4.16 and now RB711 also OK with 433,493,RB750, i can only assume the export issue mentioned in that topic is fixed in os versions since then and boards with higher spec CPU's
Fine, but you as well fail to understand that configuration exporting by definition is nothing that should bring down any system, running on whatever CPU or memory configuration.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Fine, but you as well fail to understand that configuration exporting by definition is nothing that should bring down any system, running on whatever CPU or memory configuration.
Just to test i tried a export on a 433ah which was going to 1 - 9% CPU, shot upto 100% for a few seconds during export and then back to 1 - 9% CPU, so from that quick test it says to me export puts a temp high load on the cpu, i agree with you while export is only copying the configuration and not modifying them - why the high CPU load for a *.rsc (text file) maybe it's the priority level being assigned by routerboard to complete the export function ?

Ivoshiee

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Just to test i tried a export on a 433ah which was going to 1 - 9% CPU, shot upto 100% for a few seconds during export and then back to 1 - 9% CPU, so from that quick test it says to me export puts a temp high load on the cpu, i agree with you while export is only copying the configuration and not modifying them - why the high CPU load for a *.rsc (text file) maybe it's the priority level being assigned by routerboard to complete the export function ?
Maybe just a sloppy programming or invalid system buildup model?

sdischer
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Really, this isn't a big deal. I have lots of clients who have routers running 100 percent CPU for a good portion of the day every day and they haven't gone to the effort of upgrading. It certainly isn't a desirable condition but 100 percent CPU for a few seconds isn't anything to be concerned about and it isn't poor design. What's the option, throttle the CPU during exports and make me wait longer for the config? I'll pass on that.

spacekcz
just joined

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi, I want to backup my RB750G, but can't find a way, and doing a search here, give me this "No suitable matches were found."

:(

So please u cleaver people help me?

I just want to backup my config file, I want to download it and store it on my PC, in case something happens to my RB750G or I want to install that backup file on another RB750G and my other place, its a heavy firewall gateway config, and I tested it... its perfect
Hello, here is new open source for easy backup all your network: https://github.com/heximcz/routerboard-backup