Community discussions

MikroTik App

davewbrandt
just joined
Topic Author

Edge Router hardware

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Hello List

I have a small wireless system that is mostly mikrotik but the edge router and a couple of key access points/backhauls are not. I am ready to replace those with mikrotik hardware or at least hardware running rotueros. The edge router is my biggest concern and wanted see if I could get some tips here. What kind of hardware is good for running dude, user manager, and being an edge router or is that even a good idea?

Dave

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Edge Router hardware

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I don't think that's a good idea because it's impossible to specify what should have priority, so under strained load it'll start doing whatever task you don't want it to do. At 100% load, is it more important to route the packets of already authenticated users, or to authenticate new users? Or to monitor the network? Split those tasks between different devices less you have a very small network.

It's hard to recommend hardware without knowing what you are planning to do on your edge router. Will connection tracking be on (required for NAT, queuing, many firewall features)? How many connections/packets per second? How much throughput? If QoS, what kind of QoS, and implemented how? If firewalling, what kind of ruleset? L7 is a lot more expensive than dropping all traffic to port tcp/10000.

The more details you give, the more specific an answer people can give you.