Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

450G question about NAND memory + POE interface

Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm a bit confused about the spec's:-). Since my unit is just in the mail, I'm what you could call very new:) so I hope I can ask some more questions.

In this PDF (http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist/do ... ile_id=143) it states "512MB onboard NAND memory chip, microSD card slot (on reverse)". A little further I find "The boards are equipped with one 64MB NAND nonvolatile memory chip."

1) Does the 512 MB refer to the SD-card slot and the 64 MB to a NAND chip on the PCB?
2)What is the purpose of these?
3)I'm assuming the 64 MB is to hold the OS and the 512 MB is in fact a SD-card for storing stuff (wouldn't really know what to store, perhaps custom scripts?)
Or is there a 512MB chip somewhere AND a SD-card slot AND a 64 MB chip?

My second question is regarding the interfaces.
The POE port, if not in used for POE purposes, is this a gigabit port or a fast ethernet port? There is a section (about POE) in the PDF denoting this port as a fast ethernet port, while higher up it is stated that there are 5 gigabit ports. Of course passive POE would mean that 4 wires are used for power, reducing the speed to fast ethernet? Again I'm kind of guessing...

And just to be clear, this POE-port can only be used to power the RouterBoard, not to power a device attached to it?

Thanks,
Jeroen

meno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 450G question about NAND memory + POE interface

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm a bit confused about the spec's:-). Since my unit is just in the mail, I'm what you could call very new:) so I hope I can ask some more questions.

In this PDF (http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist/do ... ile_id=143) it states "512MB onboard NAND memory chip, microSD card slot (on reverse)". A little further I find "The boards are equipped with one 64MB NAND nonvolatile memory chip."

1) Does the 512 MB refer to the SD-card slot and the 64 MB to a NAND chip on the PCB?
2)What is the purpose of these?
3)I'm assuming the 64 MB is to hold the OS and the 512 MB is in fact a SD-card for storing stuff (wouldn't really know what to store, perhaps custom scripts?)
Or is there a 512MB chip somewhere AND a SD-card slot AND a 64 MB chip?

My second question is regarding the interfaces.
The POE port, if not in used for POE purposes, is this a gigabit port or a fast ethernet port? There is a section (about POE) in the PDF denoting this port as a fast ethernet port, while higher up it is stated that there are 5 gigabit ports. Of course passive POE would mean that 4 wires are used for power, reducing the speed to fast ethernet? Again I'm kind of guessing...

And just to be clear, this POE-port can only be used to power the RouterBoard, not to power a device attached to it?

Thanks,
Jeroen
mine has 512Mb, you can see at system - resource

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 am

Can anyone offer some more information about the other numbers?

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 pm

as you can see
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:34 pm

@InoX, I can see the SDRAM, 256MB. That's just the system memory as it is used in computers.
But I'm trying to figure out the purpose of both the 512 MB NAND and the 64 MB NAND (both mentioned in the PDF I linked to).

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:54 pm

I put the picture to see that mine has 1GB.
As I remember 64mb for loader and the rest for storage.

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:07 pm

HDD is another word for NAND(meaning storage here) then. 1 GiB for the OS :shock: isn't that total overkill? Oh, sorry I didn't connect the HDD to the NAND thing.

Can you find any reference connecting that 64 MB to the bootloader? It would make sense though.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 am

512MB onboard NAND memory chip, microSD card slot (on reverse)". A little further I find "The boards are equipped with one 64MB NAND nonvolatile memory chip."

There is a mistake in the "little further" text. It should say the same as in the start, it has 512MB of RAM. There is only one NAND chip for storage.

Like this:

512MB NAND for storing files
64MB operation memory
microSD slot for expanding storage

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Thank you for clearing this up Normis. Is the boodloader present on a seperate chip or is it on the storage NAND also? (I believe bootloaders only take very little space as a fully fledged BIOS is less than 10 MiB).

I'm asking because I'm curious and as to what will happen if one opts to format the NAND. Killing the bootloader and/or the license would be a very bad thing to do. On the other hand I've also read posts stating that both the license and bootloader are protected if if one chooses to format the NAND. This protection is only valid if you use the "bootloader" menu (via the RS232 serial console) and not if you use third party tools.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Formating the NAND will not affect the Bootloader. In fact, the formating itself is done from the Bootloader menu.

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:20 pm

So we can't brick the unit that way. That's a good thing.

Will it affect the license? There are some posts saying it does, and others saying it does not.