Community discussions

MikroTik App

ripwinder
just joined
Topic Author

Router OS as ISP Edge router?

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post on Microtik forums.

I run a small ISP that provides ADSL services to businesses and consumers. On our last inter-connect we used a Cisco 3560 as our core L3 device. We did not have to provide any AAA so we simply have a DHCP server running on the 3560 to service all customers. We now need to provide AAA and PPPoE to customers and have used ROS in the past on an RB450. My question is would RouterOS perform as an ISP core edge router using PPPoE and Radius serving say 2000 simultaneous users at a throughput of 1GB. We would use x86 hardware for this, possibly a Dell Poweredge or something similar?

Thanks,

RW.

cryptnix
just joined

Re: Router OS as ISP Edge router?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 pm

I imagine this being a possibility. Just include it in a BVI of an ethernet interface towards the Mtik box?

I'm just guessing here, perhaps to aid in your search -- it was a solution in the past that I was going to use.

Docteh

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

Why are you moving to PPPoE. Just for the authentication, or is there other reasons? I work for a company that has some ADSL, and for the connection to the ADSL network, we've got an ethernet port, and different address blocks on different vlans with static and static-dhcp. I'm curious about PPPoE.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:50 pm

There are several options, I would recommend that you use something that is built and designed for MikroTik. There are a number of products out there, you can also look at www.mikrotikrouter.com. These units would come with RouterOS on them ready to run.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Why are you moving to PPPoE. Just for the authentication, or is there other reasons? I work for a company that has some ADSL, and for the connection to the ADSL network, we've got an ethernet port, and different address blocks on different vlans with static and static-dhcp. I'm curious about PPPoE.
Because he has 2k users, pppoe scales and authenticates nicely, with Radius billing. It would also be more secure, if your customers know your vlan system they could crack it easy.