Community discussions

MikroTik App

boriquajake
just joined
Topic Author

Can you tell from the lights what caused an RB750 to go bad?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Folks,

I am not conversant in RouterOS, heck, I'm not really very bright at all. All I know is that I am replacing a 750 routerboard because it appears to be non-functioning. I suspect some kind of power issue to be the culprit, but I'm not sure. A few weeks ago hurricane Irene came through down here in P.R. and we lost 6 UBNT APs and a Mikrotik 450 routerboard. The APs were mounted on an NBC owned TV tower with what looks like a lot of grounding equipment and the routerboards were set up inside the spacious, airconditioned building on site. After the storm damaged our stuff I did some asking around and reading to try to find out what I could do to prevent it from happening again. I was told that when lightning strikes you never know what will be ruined no matter what sort of grounding and protection is installed, but you do what you can. So I chalked it up as one of those things and replaced the equipment. I also added a CyberPower 825 AVR UPS between my stuff and the power outlet in the building to try to be safe.

Anyway, this morning I got a notification that the tower was again not working. I come out and find that this time I lost three radios and the pair of 750 routerboards I had used to replace the original 450s. Nothing is obviously smoking or burned, but the radios don't power up and the lights on the 750 are acting weird. My question is this, is there a way I can tell by looking at the odd behaviour of the activity and connection lights on the non-functioning 750s what exactly happened to them? They won't let me winbox in to them and I wouldn't know what to look for if I could.

Thanks in advance

Jake
Last edited by boriquajake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

boriquajake
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Is there a way to know exactly how a RB750 went bad?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 pm

About the status/activity lights, if I leave the unit plugged in after a while all five of the ethernet port lights will come on as if there were active connections plugged in. It will stay like that for a while and then all the lights will go off except for the power light on the front. Seems to take a few minutes to go through the whole cycle.

Also, the #2 port connection light now stays on all the time.

If I his the reset button as the thing powers up and I'm quick I can start to winbox in from either the #1 or #3 port, but as soon as that #2 light comes on the login process stops and I get an error message.