Community discussions

MikroTik App

cursols
just joined
Topic Author

Which RouterBoard should I buy.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi.

I am new in this field. I am from Pakistan. I am going to start a cable and wireless internet services in Pakistan. Kindly guide me which board is according to my requirements. My requirements and questions are as follows :

1. Full user control web based.
2. Minimum users 400
3. I will use 5 DSL lines for broad band speed.
4. I will use FTP and GAMING SERVER for different users. (depends on package with they buy)
5. Should I use separate cache server .
6. Is user manager ok for me.
7. Someone told me Mikrotik RouterBoard 1200 for me. Kindly guide me accordingly.
8. Someone also guide me to run Mikrotik OS from a pc instead of RouterBoard. He said that use load balancer 750 alongwith OS.
9. I will also use wifi service but FTP and GAMING server will not be for wifi users.

Kindly help me in this regard.

Thank you.

Muhammad Fawad

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Which RouterBoard should I buy.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I would go with the RB1100AH. For the cost, you can't really beat it. Even building a custom machine you will spend MUCH more. I would use a separate cache server and I would not use usermanager for that many users. You really need to setup a separate RADIUS server.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 pm

user manager will be fine, internal user database '/ppp secret' is made with no more than 100 users in mind :) while UM is RADIUS server on the router.

On the other hand, you can choose freely, with external proxy you can run your RADIUS server there, so no additional costs while adding that.

cursols
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:08 am

Someone told me to use two RB one is 750gl and other is 1200 for this. What do u suggest. If I use PC Based OS alongwith 750GL as load balancer. Is there any good billing software for that purpose. Also tell me what will be the discount price for OS.