MikroTik App

mramos
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB433, 433AH & 433UAH bad blocks & reboots

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:59 am

Hi ...

I've been inspecting some RBs last two days, driven I was by a weird (or not) behaviour: a brand new 433AH started rebooting 3 or 4 times a day and after each reboot the bad blocks count increase a bit.

A couple of days ago this board became a production unit with V5.8, 1.2% bad blocks. Now after each reboot this percentage grows ... 1.6, 2.1, 2.4 and now it's 2.7.

I killed all "write to disk" threads I found: graphing, DHCP, etc in order to keep the disk "as is". I even disabled the autosupout.rif generation after each reboot. The period between random reboots are bigger now than it was when graphing & dhcp was writing to disk.

This board replaced a 433UAH that has 0.7% bad blocks but those random daily reboots. After formatting NAND via RS232 console a couple of times (and netinstalled 5.8 the same amount) the 0.7% dropped to zero. I exported the 433AH config and imported it to 433UAH (after correcting several export glitches 5.8 is generating).

This clone is at the bench now with 2 R52nM with the same MAC addresses from the production unit, with two clients running Btest (TCP) at solid 9M down / 4M up, 100% CPU for ... 12 hours.

Ok, on the real life this AP will handle maximum 30 + 30 CPEs but those reboots are not associated with auth clients count (nor with CPU load neither trafic load).

My bad blocks inventory: one 433 with 7.8%, another with 3.3%. A 433AH with 2.7% and counting. And the retired 433UAH now is 0% after several NAND formats + netinstall.

Question to MT guys:

1) Where can I buy NAND chpsets to be replaced locally (I have how to re-work, re-flow SMT devices).

2) The ROS licences are tied to NAND?

3) Is bootloader hosted by NAND?

Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB433, 433AH & 433UAH bad blocks & reboots

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Sorry but replacing the NAND is complicated and not worth it. Yes, license will also be gone. As you found yourself, Netinstall will fix any bad blocks.

mramos
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RB433, 433AH & 433UAH bad blocks & reboots

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Sorry but replacing the NAND is complicated and not worth it. Yes, license will also be gone. As you found yourself, Netinstall will fix any bad blocks.
Hi Normis.

Well, not as complicated as replace a FPGA with 256 pins lol.

But if licence gone ... anyway, if this board dies I'll play with. Of course in order to have a new licence I'll need the new Software ID to order a new key (in fact I already have a pre-paid one and a replacement one I never used) but seems netinstal will show this info.

I guess bootloader is not stored at NAND, otherwise if formatted ... goobye bootloader (or backup booter).

About the deaf board ... I replaced it this morning ... but till now I have 2 reboots on the new one ... always kernel failure shows up at the winbox terminal (and some cause = 1).

The 433AH is at the bench and neither format nor netinstall (several times) made badblocks = 0.0%. Still increasing (3% now).

Regards;