MikroTik App

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Moving key from one router to another.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:16 am

Hello,

We have quite a few old routers(RB-532) that we paid a lot of money for a level 6 key.

The routers now are pretty much useless in the performance department. At least for a level 6. They will never be able to fully utilize even a quarter of the scope of the functionality before they are saturated.

Is there any way to migrate those old keys to something more recent that comes with something like a 4 or 5 key? Or to move them to some USB keys and be able to use them properly with some PC hardware?

In the end we are ending up with a lot of outdated/useless hardware that can not keep up with demands of today, that we paid the same price (If not more) for a 6 key, and now we can't use that key on anything.

If I go and buy a software CD and it comes with a key, that software and license is always valid no matter what hardware I run it on. So if I upgrade hardware, I'm always able to re-install the same software. This shouldn't be much different with MT.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Moving key from one router to another.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 am

With RouterOS the license is tied to the install media, in this case the NAND on the router. You cannot transfer that license.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Li ... he_License

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:56 am

I was told this could be possible if the original hardware was destroyed. I know there were a few hoops to jump through to make it possible or to prove it.

I have no problems shipping all these old boards somewhere or (Cheaper/easier) having each of them destroyed if that will accomplish it. They're shit now as it is, so even if I take a hammer and smash them I don't really care. They did all the work they are capable of doing. It just sucks to pay for a key that is still very much useful, and because the hardware is garbage I can't use it.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:53 am

Why did you put L6 on such device? That was a waste at the moment you did it.

I think they will replace key only for damaged hard disk. For licences embeded in devices you've got with device this deos not work as you got licence for special price.

If you additionaly bought licence and lodaded it to device, then there is a chance to get replacement key.

Anyways, if it shows up that you cannot get replacement licence, please do not throw away those RB's. Donate them to some nonprofit community network, like mine. We do not care if it is old and low powered as long as it works :)

All in all, if you are interested to trade them, before wasting them, let me know.

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 am

Yes I agree it was a waste of money. Keep in mind this was 5 years ago probably as well.

All of these were upgraded licenses. We specifically asked and paid the ~200$ fee to upgrade them.

I don't mind shipping all of these to somewhere (Preferably a supplier somewhere, not latvia) and having them destroyed etc.

I don't care about the hardware, but I have probably a few thousand $$$ worth of keys that are worthless to me at the moment.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:57 am

Either way you'll have to email support. This is a user forum, so people can't help you with licensing issues. I wouldn't expect too much. You ordered something you didn't need 5 years ago - I can't think of any vendors that would refund that, to be honest.

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:01 pm

I understand and I'll email support.

I'm not looking for a refund. So I don't see the problem.

I buy a CD with a product key... The key is not trapped in my computer, the key belongs to ME
I buy a 10000$ media production software, the key is on a USB dongle... Not trapped in my computer, the key belongs to ME.

MT is the only company I have honestly ever seen that does this with its keys. It would be a different story if it was ONLY RB hardware. But since it can be installed on almost anything from CPU to Wrap to whatever, it's stupid to have the keys locked to the hardware (Especially the storage medium! Hard drives crash!)

As a secondary request to MT, you really should develop your key system to be portable. Where it can be removed and transported to another device.
Or have a standard system in place with your vendors to make this process possible and (somewhat) simple.
Yes I also understand this opens up problems for cracking. It's not an easy answer.

We are reaching a point now where people will be wanting this because of more advanced hardware.

Also to make something clear... YES it was weird to install L6 on a RB-5xx. BUT it was done because of stupid limitations of connections and usermanager! The hardware had no problem exceeding L5 limitations in certain installations if done right. But now those RB-5xx can not keep up with demands so we have a lot of expensive keys doing nothing.

I could understand it being my stupidity to install L6 on a board that could never reach past L5 limitations. But it WAS possible to do because of the stupid low limitations of some of the features like usermanager. (I think this has now been improved. But at the time MT refused to change it)

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 am

Have you contacted support? My experience is that they are pretty much reasonable on this subject.

As developer myself I understand their point of View. Anything more that what is used as licensing scheme, would be much more complex, expensive and would allow easier license stealing.

Right now, optimal licensing policy is to keep license prices low and lock them to hardware. Low prices do not motivate people to steal, and do not get them upset if license is somewhat destroyed. Although, MT licenses prices are not that cheap as expected.