Community discussions

MikroTik App

marekm
Topic Author

RB750UP - how to enable PoE, current monitor etc.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 pm

I've just got a fresh new RB750UP - it came with 5.6 so upgraded to 5.11 - and still can't find the option to enable PoE, or read the current monitor.
Couldn't find the fine manual to read on routerboard.com yet. Any hints would be welcome - or is this only a planned feature, to be released later?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB750UP - how to enable PoE, current monitor etc.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 am

/interface ethernet print detail
/interface ethernet set ether2 poe-out=

marekm
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks. What exactly does "auto" do, since it's passive PoE so no 802.3af like detection signature is defined. Power is enabled after I plugged in a Loco5 though. Wasn't brave enough to try if "auto" is safe for non-PoE gigabit ports though (should not enable power in that case).
And, how about the current monitor - mentioned on routerboard.com main page, but the RB750UP sub-page says "No" - is it there (need to wait for 5.12) or not?
RB750UP:
[admin@MikroTik] > /system health print 
          voltage: 12.2V
  cpu-temperature: 44C
RB1100AHX2:
           fan-mode: auto
            use-fan: main
         active-fan: main
            voltage: 12V
            current: 747mA
          fan-speed: 8510RPM
        temperature: 30C
    cpu-temperature: 30C
  power-consumption: 8.9W

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am

i have tested with various Gbps ports (RouterBOARDs generally) and none of the ports where burned with poe-out=auto. Actually, even with PoE in on Gbit port it did not turn on the power since it differs from 100Mbps port.

Of course, to be 100% safe, use off setting where you do not need the power output as it is used as default value.

Also note that 750UP PoE out controlling chip will start on power up, so it will use settings on last boot up. And will work even if RouterOS is not booting for some obscure reason.

Board is not reporting current usage on the ports. Only indication available to users at the moment is - port will turn poe-out off if overload is detected.

marekm
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm

i have tested with various Gbps ports (RouterBOARDs generally) and none of the ports where burned with poe-out=auto. Actually, even with PoE in on Gbit port it did not turn on the power since it differs from 100Mbps port.

Of course, to be 100% safe, use off setting where you do not need the power output as it is used as default value.

Also note that 750UP PoE out controlling chip will start on power up, so it will use settings on last boot up. And will work even if RouterOS is not booting for some obscure reason.

Board is not reporting current usage on the ports. Only indication available to users at the moment is - port will turn poe-out off if overload is detected.
Thanks. Nice to see there is overload protection. Any chance for at least total current reporting (board itself + all ports)?
Is that ATTINY461A upgradeable in the field (by RouterOS or firmware upgrade)?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

We will add current reporting via software upgrade in one of the future versions.

danielchisholm
just joined

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Will the current reporting be the total for the device, or will it be reported separately for each port?

If I supply the 750UP's power to the power input jack, is it possible to send PoE *out* on port1?

marekm
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:12 pm

OK, first RB750UP in the field (small relay station) - not without some issues... Reporting them here in the hope Mikrotik can try to address them.
RB750UP powered from a CyberPower CS24U12V-12 power supply with 12V/12Ah battery backup.
All ports configured as a simple bridge for now. Previously it all worked with a dumb 5-port switch modified for PoE output.
Ports 2-5 with poe-out=auto connected via ~15m of FTP cables to some UBNT gear on the roof.

Port 1: WAN port of customer's TL-WR340G (PPPoE client)
Port 2: Bullet2 (AP WDS, omni)
Port 3: Bullet5 (AP WDS, sector)
Port 4: Bullet5 (AP WDS, sector)
Port 5: NanoBridgeM5 (Station WDS, backhaul from a RocketM5 sector)

The ports are powered up in the order 5, 4, 3, 2.
But the Bullet2 won't power up, even with poe-out=on. I've tried swapping ports too, and it's always the Bullet2 that won't power up, no matter which port it is on. That port LED won't blink red even for a moment. It works fine with a UBNT PoE adapter in between though (RB750UP PoE out not used).

Another issue: when AC power fails, everything continues to run on battery backup as it should. But when it comes back, some of the PoE powered devices are turned off (it doesn't happen every time, but quite often). I suspect it's the fast rise of battery voltage (from 12V to 14V, when it starts being charged) that triggers the overload protection (short current spike due to capacitive load). It's just too fast, that could also cause the Bullet2 issue (I don't think it draws too much power, it's just a simple low power 802.11b/g radio after all). Fortunately they power up again after a while.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:30 pm

you could try to step up the battery voltage to 24V that could sort out the overload protection kicking in. Also, you can check precisely how much power each device draws, that could be problem if you are using 12V to power the RB570UP then you get 10.5V on the output, if some of device is using MAX 8W, then 0.5A @ 11V is not near enough for the device to be powered.

So, best option is to use 24V.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

AW: RB750UP - how to enable PoE, current monitor etc.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:34 pm

4 Sectors with RB411AH/R52nM should work?
This would cleanup installations a lot.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 am

should be no problems, since you are not even using high power cards. R52nM uses around 2W max, board itslef around 2W :)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 am

Switch chip not connected to ether1?
Cant set it as master or slave port.
So I've to use bridge to connect them all.

Is it fast enough to bridge 100MBit/s?

Next device should be a RB1100AHx2UP with dual Power connectors.
This will sit at the bottom of all my towers.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 pm

it configures same as new revision RB750, so if you set all-ports-switched=yes hen you will be able to set it as master-port for the rest of the ports.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 pm

it configures same as new revision RB750, so if you set all-ports-switched=yes hen you will be able to set it as master-port for the rest of the ports.
Set this with winbox does not help. After rebooting it is disabled again.
Tried with 5.6 and 5.11.
Set ether1 as masterport: "chosen master-port does not support this feature".

marekm
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:28 pm

you could try to step up the battery voltage to 24V that could sort out the overload protection kicking in. Also, you can check precisely how much power each device draws, that could be problem if you are using 12V to power the RB570UP then you get 10.5V on the output, if some of device is using MAX 8W, then 0.5A @ 11V is not near enough for the device to be powered.

So, best option is to use 24V.
- I'd like to be able to use the RB750UP voltage monitor to measure the battery voltage (a step-up DC/DC converter would make it constant)
- if the problem is too much input capacitance in the radio, higher voltage will make it worse (will take longer to charge with the same current)
- 24V battery really means up to 28V, a bit too much to be safe for some radios (specified "up to 24V"); 18V (3*6V) battery would be perfect but such power supplies are unusual, the 12V ones are cheap
- why so much voltage drop (12V to 10.5V), does the RB750UP switch the power using bipolar transistors and not FETs?
- Bullet2 has no problem to start on a bench power supply, set to 9V and 200mA current limit (draws a little less than 200mA, initially just about 150mA before it fully boots; it could be more under high traffic, but the failing one doesn't even power up for a fraction of a second)

BUT: this was tested in the lab, on a different Bullet2, powering up from a different RB750UP just fine - the devices that fail are at a distant location, difficult to access (need to ask someone in advance for permission to enter there, etc.); it still works fine with the UBNT PoE adapter, it might be partially broken in such a way that it works but draws much more power, but then I'd expect the extra 2-3 watts would burn something inside very quickly, and it has been working fine for a long time. A mystery...

To work around the "fast rise of supply voltage triggering overload protection", I'll try to add some extra capacitance on the output of the power supply (2200uF should be much more than inside the radios, absorbing most of that current spike and slowing down supply voltage changes).

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 pm

RB750UP is up to 30V. Power chain on the board converts it to 5V as required by wireless part on integrated board, so there is nothing to worry about.

marekm
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:27 am

RB750UP is up to 30V. Power chain on the board converts it to 5V as required by wireless part on integrated board, so there is nothing to worry about.
UBNT radios (which I'm powering from the RB750UP) are specified for 24V max, better to play it safe (especially legacy series, shipped with 15V PoE adapters and for some devices is said "max 18V recommended" probably due to lower efficiency of the old 34063 step down converter at high voltage - the new M series ships with 24V adapters, so might have a bit more margin). They work fine at 12V with 20m cables (good Cu ones, not CCA), and are not required to start at 10V - just continue to run until low battery cut off, after previously starting at 12V or more.

Could you provide more details how the PoE output is implemented (especially the auto detection and overload protection algorithm)?

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 pm

We will add current reporting via software upgrade in one of the future versions.
Hi Normis, when you add this option?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Could you provide more details how the PoE output is implemented (especially the auto detection and overload protection algorithm)?
in auto mode - router applies low voltage to the port and checks for voltage drop, if drop is within set parameters that correspond now from 3K ohm to 26K ohm, power is given on the port. When that happens short and overload is continuously checked and if either is detected action is taken upon. (more on the wiki manual)

for overload - it measures load and compares it to set value, if measured value is over set value power is turned off.

alexjhart
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:11 pm

When this happens, is it logged?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm

currently it is not logged and only indication is the red leds on the board.

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Normis, when you add this option?
Any answer?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 am

we are working hard on that. it is hard to squeeze everything we want in a small chip so no promises when.

ecarlevaro
just joined

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 pm

I have the same doubt:
"If I supply the 750UP's power to the power input jack, is it possible to send PoE *out* on port1?".
I'd like to supply a RB750UP and a Tp-Link ADSL modem with one UTP cable with PoE injector/splitter and so far I understand the ADSL modem should be connected to ether1 port.to work as gateway, so if is it possible to power out PoE on ether1 I can power modem and 750UP with only one UTP cable.

alexjhart
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am

You can configure the router to use any port as the WAN interface. That is far more likely than expecting power out on port 1.

ecarlevaro
just joined

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes, I found the answer yesterday reading the on-line manual, I can configure any interface to work as gateway. Sorry for ask and thank you for your reply.

tester100
just joined

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:19 am

Thanks. What exactly does "auto" do, since it's passive PoE so no 802.3af like detection signature is defined. Power is enabled after I plugged in a Loco5 though. Wasn't brave enough to try if "auto" is safe for non-PoE gigabit ports though (should not enable power in that case).
And, how about the current monitor - mentioned on routerboard.com main page, but the RB750UP sub-page says "No" - is it there (need to wait for 5.12) or not?
RB750UP:
          voltage: 12.2V
  cpu-temperature: 44C
RB1100AHX2:
           fan-mode: auto
            use-fan: main
         active-fan: main
            voltage: 12V
            current: 747mA
          fan-speed: 8510RPM
        temperature: 30C
    cpu-temperature: 30C
  power-consumption: 8.9W

Hiya

not shure if this is the right place to ask, but i am building a PHP api that monitors all sorts of information from mikrotik server, such as traffic interfaces, etc.etc.etc.

i am looking for a script example on how to extract the Voltage and temperature so i can produce a graphic with temperatura from device and Voltage.

As some Remote Towers i manage for a company are on remote areas more then 200Km distance and when Eletric power Grid fails on those areas we use 80ah 12v batteries to run the system, but we need to find a way to monitor the life batery and Mikrotik offers this possibility using the INPUT voltage readings we found some baterys were faulty in the past by checking the voltage 12.1v and devices rebooting, or even to measure cables faulty.

Anyways so far i have not found any information on it, if someone is willing to share i will appreciate.

Kind Regards