Community discussions

MikroTik App

whiskeymikeromeo
just joined
Topic Author

Reccomend hardware

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi

I currently have a RB433@300mhz which is configured as the 3 LAN Interfaces in a Bond, Bond interface split into 15 vlans. On one VLAN there is a PPPoE client connecting to a 40mbit service, and another is to a 20mbit service (this is not PPPoE however). The 20mbit service is only used for specific servers. The Firewall NAT rules are simple Masquerades and the traffic is routed down the 20mbit using an ip route rule (src ip) to a specific routing table.

I'm seeing that if I try to push much more than 34 down the PPPoE and 15 down the other interface the RB will reboot randomly after it hits 80% cpu or there abouts.

There are not a crazy number of FW rules (6 filters, 1 mangle (MSS Fixing) and 5 NATs), and there are (currently) no Queues being used.

I'm presuming that I'm pushing the rb433 to the limit, however I'm not sure on what would be a good idea to replace this with. The 433GL seems to be able to handle about 2x the throughput according to the benchmarks, however I'm obviously anxious that should my 40mbit server be upgrade to 80 mbit (which it is due to be soon) then I will be potentially pushing the 433GL to its limit.

What would peoples recommendations for this, also taking into account the potential for adding in some queues in the future

elikxir
just joined

Re: Reccomend hardware

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

hi @ll
i want to change my router (dir-655) with something better.
my lan : gb-lan = 2 pc + laptop (wifi) + Nas Synology + Xtreamer.
i'll make my dir-655 like AP.

Usage:
- Nas, 24/7 up for torrents
- file sharing in lan between all devices
- Xtreamer , streaming movies,music or tv-online

this will be my first RB .
what you recomand for me ?

ps:
Wan 100/50 Mb
dir-655 performance :
lan speed wired - down ~ 30 Mb , upload ~15 Mb
wifi - 20/5

Conclusions => Whitch RB is better for me ?
i'll have some improvements investing in one RB ?

frankie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 am

You not specified the WAN connection authentication, encapsulation, encryption (PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP). For simple NAT (with masquarading) Routerboard RB450G or RB750G will be enough power for 100Mbit FDX. But same NAT with L2TP encapsulation on WAN (even without encryption) same RB450G will pass little more than 50Mbit FDX (P2P traffic) to LAN.
ps:
Wan 100/50 Mb
Last edited by frankie on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

frankie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:19 am

RouterOS version?
Hi

I currently have a RB433@300mhz which is configured as the 3 LAN Interfaces in a Bond, Bond interface split into 15 vlans. On one VLAN there is a PPPoE client connecting to a 40mbit service, and another is to a 20mbit service (this is not PPPoE however). The 20mbit service is only used for specific servers. The Firewall NAT rules are simple Masquerades and the traffic is routed down the 20mbit using an ip route rule (src ip) to a specific routing table.

I'm seeing that if I try to push much more than 34 down the PPPoE and 15 down the other interface the RB will reboot randomly after it hits 80% cpu or there abouts.

There are not a crazy number of FW rules (6 filters, 1 mangle (MSS Fixing) and 5 NATs), and there are (currently) no Queues being used.

I'm presuming that I'm pushing the rb433 to the limit, however I'm not sure on what would be a good idea to replace this with. The 433GL seems to be able to handle about 2x the throughput according to the benchmarks, however I'm obviously anxious that should my 40mbit server be upgrade to 80 mbit (which it is due to be soon) then I will be potentially pushing the 433GL to its limit.

What would peoples recommendations for this, also taking into account the potential for adding in some queues in the future

whiskeymikeromeo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 am

RouterOS version?

I've been running this board since 3.2 however it's now running 5.12, I've only had the additional 40MBit connectivity since 5.3 and I've been noticing the reboots under load since then.

frankie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Try downgrade to ROS 4.17. I'm also experiencing reboots on RB750 (400MHz) with ROS 5.x if traffic about 70-80Mbit/s total. However RB750G with same configuration on ROS 5.12 works without reboots under 100% CPU load.
I've been running this board since 3.2 however it's now running 5.12, I've only had the additional 40MBit connectivity since 5.3 and I've been noticing the reboots under load since then.