Community discussions

MikroTik App

l0ft13
just joined
Topic Author

correct hardware choice for expansion

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am

Morning all,
We are a small ISP and currently have a CCR1016-12S-1S+ in a colo facility which is handling everything our connections to peering partners and incoming client connections.
We now have a few hundred pppoe sessions running on this device and performance becomes a problem when we have a power cut or similar causing a bunch of pppoe sessions to drop (no we are not using masquerade) but the system takes a while to recover from these events. I also now have the need for more than one 10G connection so we need to upscale.

The idea is to add a device that I can get lots more connections on which can vlan through to the router and also act as a pppoe concentrator passing traffic back though to the CCR1016 which can handle my BGP routing etc. I was looking at a CRS switch (like CRS326-24S+2Q+RM) for this purpose but realised that I need to run simple queues for all my pppoe connections and this will kill the CRS performance.

Can I get some advice on the best next-step in our expansion to ramp up (without splashing out too heavily at this stage)
Many thanks,

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: correct hardware choice for expansion

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm

Maybe will cost many but I will suggest 1036!

paulct

Re: correct hardware choice for expansion

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am

CCR - one for BGP
Then another CCR for core - one can then vlan off customers onto another for future expansion.

Rather not have everything running off one device.