Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 pm

What is the answer to the command:
/interface ethernet poe settings upgrade
?

tkerns
just joined

Re: OmniTik UPA: Observations & Issues

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I have an Omnitik that also will not upgrade POE firmware from 1.0 to 2.0. What is going on... this problem has been reported over a year now and still no resolution? Not only have MTK support not fixed this problem, but they also have FAILED to provide a work around .

Also, what is the latest POE Firmware, I have some 750up that are 2.0 and some at 2.1 with the same rev of ROS.

davidw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm

I have an Omnitik that also will not upgrade POE firmware from 1.0 to 2.0. What is going on... this problem has been reported over a year now and still no resolution? Not only have MTK support not fixed this problem, but they also have FAILED to provide a work around .

Also, what is the latest POE Firmware, I have some 750up that are 2.0 and some at 2.1 with the same rev of ROS.
Try this it worked for me.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Po ... leshooting

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 am

I realised that poe out works without any problems only and only if I take the non-poe out device and solder the wires on pcb myself. Of course an appropriate power adapter is necessary to power more devices.

Odesláno z mého N1 pomocí Tapatalk

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm

I realised that poe out works without any problems only and only if I take the non-poe out device and solder the wires on pcb myself. Of course an appropriate power adapter is necessary to power more devices.

Odesláno z mého N1 pomocí Tapatalk

We also use the not POE omnitik and a soldering iron, over 100 omnitiks deployed now ...

I did a test with the POE version and also ended with the soldering irion :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Small improvements are always necessary (if possible). And soldering poe-out is one of them.
I wonder, why are there such rumours about poe-out devices when every device can be poe-out right from manufacturing.

Hotz1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Small improvements are always necessary (if possible). And soldering poe-out is one of them.
I wonder, why are there such rumours about poe-out devices when every device can be poe-out right from manufacturing.
The ability to distribute power to other devices is good; the abilities to:
  • turn power on & off remotely for individual ports;
  • disable PoE for devices that are damaged by it; and
  • isolate devices so that one shorted line doesn't cause a voltage drop that takes down all the other devices; all while
  • maintaining product warranty
are sometimes useful too. ;-)

That said, when should we expect a detailed photo of the best way to connect the necessary pins? 8)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Unfortunatelly, simple stupid wire soldering would not provide the ability to control the poe on ports. Anyway, I would appreciate also such device that would provide full control on powering the ports. Hope that Mirkotikls will work on it and provide such devices to us.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:19 pm

That said, when should we expect a detailed photo of the best way to connect the necessary pins? 8)
Of course this is not the best way, but it works:
IMG_0501_cr_res.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:57 pm

The ability to distribute power to other devices is good; the abilities to:
  • turn power on & off remotely for individual ports;
  • disable PoE for devices that are damaged by it; and
  • isolate devices so that one shorted line doesn't cause a voltage drop that takes down all the other devices; all while
  • maintaining product warranty
are sometimes useful too. ;-)
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 78#p408078
Its nice when an Omnitik can all do this, but sometimes it is the omnitik itself that needs a powercycle. Off course this would also count for a rb750UP but usually the omnitik plays a more important role in a network than a rb750UP would. An omnitik usually sits in top of a mast or tower where the 750 can be in a more reachable position. An Omnitik in need of a power cycle because it crashed or stalled would be more a network nightmare (since it probably has wireless clients associated, access-list, wireless settings etc.) than a simple remote powercycle of a rb750UP. I use these 750's only to power devices and pass traffic to them. No wireless, no client lists etc. If the 750 has gone, its simple to replace, even a basic configured unit can be used. Where the omnitik most probably needs a full mirror config from the one it has to replace. (Who is actually keeping a fully up-to-date backup copy of each AP to use in case of an emergency.... ? :o I thougth so.)
I'll bet, in most network setups, a malfuncioning Omnitik is more a distaster than a malfunctioning 750. And the latter is probably faster to replace too.

I usually use a separate backhaul antenna to connect uplink and than the AP's and other units. If now the omnitik would supply power to the backhaul antenna, and the omnitik develops a problem, my backhaul probably is also going down and I need to go to the tower myself to do a power cycle. Not a desirable option....
In using a 750UP performing the power supply the change a malfuntioning omnitik bringing down the link towards that tower is gone. As long as the rb750 is up I can still remote power cycle the Omnitik and any other units. I can even have a fully automated powercycle script to manage the backhaul unit! (You can't have a script make the omnitik powercycle itself. Thats impossible. It just switches itself off. Total disaster!)
And because the 750UP has simpler tasks to perform the change it goes down is also smaller. (What about interferences or 'radio attacks' on the omnitik to disrupt it? The rb750 has no problems with that.)

Second big advantage of using a 750UP over an Omnitik for a 'do-it-all' solution; - Dual power input.... Use both the power plug and the PoE-in port for power supply. Use one as main and the other with an emergency backup powersource, and the change the 750UP goes down due a power supply issue is 50% less thant the single power intake option of the omnitik.

The use of a rb750UP (or better rb780UP with better voltage and overall consumption monitoring) would make it a much more versatile device than the omnitik for the same purpose...

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Of course this is not the best way, but it works:
IMG_0501_cr_res.jpg

There are much simpler solutions .....

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm

I know that. But I think that shorter way is better way.

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

JirkaRTJ
just joined

Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am

Hello all

Id like to ask you for help. I bought new Omnitik UPA-5HnD and POE out is not working too. There is poe firmware 2.13

I wanted to connect to one port SXT 5Ghz but power was not working. There I hear any sound from device as electronic fuse. But SXT consume about 2-3W less then 500mA.

BUT if I connect to same port for example RB911Ui-2HnD is was working and behind this RB951 to port 5 - STX its working too.
It means RB951 + STX connected to one port to OmniTIK is working , but alone SXT not.

There must be any construction problem, problem of detection device...

Do you have any tip what to try?

Thanks Jiri

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 am

What happens if you set power manual on ?

JirkaRTJ
just joined

Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello

Nothink. Still the same sound from device. Auto, Force nothink help.

Sometime help if I a lot time disconnect cable to SXT in very short time, device starting. But after reboot omnitik the same problem

Im going to send it back to distributor.

I could recommend to manufacturer to stop sale this devices. Development of MK must solve this issue.

Jiri

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Small update to my soldering poe. I have found that most of my wires soledered on ethernet ports are not necessary. The ground is already connected and the two positive wires of each port are also connected between. So only such simple connection is necessary:
IMG_1503_res.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karina

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:06 pm

interesting stuff, would this also work with an RB4xx series board?

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:04 pm

interesting stuff, would this also work with an RB4xx series board?
i use it for the 493 series ...