Topic Author

RB Serial Port dropping characters

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:39 am

Hey everyone.

Consider this scenario:

1 RB433AH
1 RB450G
1 RB532A

- If I put a serial cable between the RB433AH and the RB532A, it works great (can use the console on either RB from the other RB).
- If I put a serial cable between the RB450G and the RB532A, it works great.
- If I put a serial cable between the RB450G and the RB433AH, characters routinely go "missing".

So if either RB connects to the 532 serial port, they can talk to each other without any problems. But if the 450G and 433AH are connected directly to each other, it "works", but not all bytes show up all the time, and occasionally random garbage shows up on the console. (Just log into one router from the other on the console, and then hold down the Enter key for a while to generate some activity to see what I mean.)

This happens regardless of whether I let both ends auto-discover the port speed, or if I statically set the port speed on both ends. It also happens regardless of what port speed I choose (I've tried 115200 down to 19200, and all rates have the problem).

The fact that both boards have no problem talking to the 532 would seem to indicate that neither the 433AH nor the 450G are defective, and also that the serial cable itself isn't defective, either.

Does anyone else see this?

-- Nathan

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB Serial Port dropping characters

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am

all routeros versions the same on the boards?

have you tried login arguments to disable colour and/or other settings?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: RB Serial Port dropping characters

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes, all 3 running 5.14.

Yes, I tried logging in as 'admin+tc' on both the router I was serial-terminaling from as well as the one I was serial-terminaling to. Didn't help...

-- Nathan