Community discussions

MikroTik App

fmenard123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Cluster of CloudCores or ASR9K ?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 pm

With the venue of the CloudCores, I'm now puzzled. I need to decide whether I shall attempt to RouterOS my way into saving almost half-a-million dollars.

I'm planning on getting 100G BGP-4 uplinks later this fall.

However, I know that since the Tilera chip Mikrotik is using has 4 10G interfaces right on the chip, I highly suspect that they have CloudCores with 10G ports in the works.

Here's a challenge for Mikrotik.

How could I build a cluster of CloudCores that would have 100G of BGP-4 routing capacity, but by breaking it down in 10G, or possibly 1G ports.

For instance, could I do EqualCost MultiPath BGP-4, and use 10 interfaces of 1G, to simulate a trunk of 10G ?

Could I do this across multiple CloudCores ?

Any way I slice this up, even if I buy 100 CloudCores at $2K each, I'm still 50% to 20% of the price of an ASR 9K with 100G uplinks.

If I were to buy 10 CloudCores with 10G interfaces, even if I paid $4K each for them, I would be anywhere between 4 and 8% of the cost of an ASR 9K.

So let's say I have an infinite budget for CloudCores if I can deploy them as a cluster and get parallel processing at par with an ASR 9K.

What's your opinion ?

F.

blake

Re: Cluster of CloudCores or ASR9K ?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:18 am

CloudCore is brand new, unproven hardware. Who knows how long it'll take to get the bugs worked out.

100G? Buy the ASR9K if it'll handle your workload. I would imagine if you're buying that bandwidth capacity that you have a large amount of revenue, and will be able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time.

IMO its not worth buying such a large circuit if the hardware you put behind it isn't reliable.