Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Evry day interface wlan/ether stop passing data?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 am

I have big network I use all kinds of RB 433Ah,411AH,600,800 etc etc...
don't really remember but I think the problem start after 5.9 ver.. have a real problem every day on different rb's interfaces stop receiving or transmitting any data and the problem is increasing
like today on this bord interface wlan
Ill hope u'll get the picture
daily.gif
this is graph of wlan R52Hn mounted on a RB411AH stop working its like all clients are connected but no RX/TX data
this happen also on some Rbords on ethernet ports, RB is running no hang ups when I connect in from wireless side I see that there is no passing any data from ethernet port
like this ether1 on RB493AH
dailyrether.gif
in this case I was lucky I have access from wlan side
just I have to do disable enable interface or reboot RB and everything is back to normal
I cant monitor every wlan interface on my network 24h a day
also when it happen to ethernet port I have to do manual reboot because I don have always wlan access

anyway just for info on all RB I dont use any firewall most of all interfaces are just in bridge.
Most of all RB's are with 5.13 or 5.14 ver.
Pls for some advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ohara

Re: Evry day interface wlan/ether stop passing data?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm

What manufacturer and model is your gateway? I came accross the very same issue once when I replaced my gateway with a 751g for a day or two.

ohara

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

That 751G ran on 5.15. I have updated to 6beta and will give it a try once again. My wireless AP which had the issue that you described is still 5.11.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 pm

I dont have 751G My getaway if u mean my main router is from http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/ I dont have problem with him
on sec picture is RB493AH all interfaces wlan1 ether1-ether9 are in bridge just using ether1(for now)
I have problems with RB800(ether stuck), RB433AH(a lot of ether stuck), RB493AH(jus ones ether1 stuck), and 411AH(only wlan stuck R52Hn)
yesterday I upgrade most of all to 5.15 also boot loader to 2.39 Ill see what will happen

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Had a problem with PTP link, 493ah + 433ah the ether side of the 433 was losing ospf, then connectivity but login in from wlan side and reboot - OK for 24hrs more or less, after changing 493, 433, radio card, cable, POE's, power supplies - still problem remained, to cut a further long story short the problem was traced to the other side of this PTP which has a 433 connected directly to another 433 (AP) but this direct ether to ether is split in the middle for POE injection and one of the rj45 sockets had corroded copper which was making a intermittent connection, replace leads + POE sockets and this link is now working 100%, strange?

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 2:31 am

n21roadie yes it strange~~

Today on one RB ether port stuck or freeze I manage to log in from wireless side without rebooting RB
in log I have this
etherdown.png
that was the time when I lose connection with this RB

I also try with my lap top using lan connected to this ether port, also try with all ether ports, there is connection (100mbit) but no passing data
just do disable enable to the port or in this case *ether4 and everything back to normal all ether ports start working
it seem something freeze all ports some random data or don't know what I m still looking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivoshiee

Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 am

It is just the same issue as reported here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54038

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 pm

@Lakis

Before i traced the source of my issue, I used a script (thanks to TomjNorthIdaho) which pings the ether side of effected board and will reboot if timeouts occur, at least then you have uptime until the problem is solved.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56138

Ivoshiee

Tue May 08, 2012 5:21 am

@Lakis

Before i traced the source of my issue, I used a script (thanks to TomjNorthIdaho) which pings the ether side of effected board and will reboot if timeouts occur, at least then you have uptime until the problem is solved.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56138
System watchdog can give you that pinging and rebooting capabilities without any scripting.

I personally implemented parallel links (for the LAN and also for the WLAN), netwatch tool and some scripting (I implemented a network state model for every link status event and any port change will trigger suitable route and/or firewall rule changes) to get me failover in case of the ethernet port flapping or a WLAN loss. Duplicating of all ports is not an option, but at least the backbone is usually up and running for me.

Surely there are some fancy protocol for doing all that "automatically", but at least for the moment I am not so sure any MT implementation of those are stable enough to really rely on it. Maybe if I get bored then I'll play around with them, but at the moment I'll pass on that.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2012 4:07 pm

System watchdog can give you that pinging and rebooting capabilities without any scripting.
can i have a example of this function, please

Ivoshiee

Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System/Watchdog

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System/Watchdog
Thank You

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Finlay I find something all this have something to do with Auto Negotiation of the ether port
this is happening on different locations -only locations where I use switches (different brands some gbit some 100mbit)
like this one http://global.level1.com/Unmanaged-Giga ... /p-512.htm
Ok back to the case;
Оn RB800 I install two cat5 one in switch<-> ether2 one for management ether3<->laptop
after waiting for hours ether2 freeze I log in with lap-top from ether3
in log i see this massage ether port suddenly
"ether2 link down"
in a second another massage
"ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)"
in interface ether2 link is up there is some tx data in bytes but no rx data
I take it out cat5 cable after 5 sec I put it again in switch port
again no rx data
I put cable from ether2 in laptop but I m not receiving any data also try with winbox I can't see unit
I put cable from ether2 to RB750GL witch is MT brand but no rx data
I try everything but ether2 port is like death until I do disable enable of ether2 or just reboot the RB
what is strange in a same moment ( I have dude for monitoring) Ether ports freeze on 2 different locations on RB800 and RB433AH
today I changed level1 switch witch is connected with RB800 with RB750GL and waiting......

So why ether link goes down and up? In this switch i have also bullets, rockets they never i mean never never freeze or have any aether problems also have RB411GL, RB433AH witch ones a week ether freeze?

Ivoshiee

Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 am

Contact MT about that issue. If there are many reports like that then maybe they take it seriously and address that issue. At the moment they seem not to be that much bothered by it. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 16#p319216