Community discussions

MikroTik App

ofrxnz
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware Selection Help

Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 am

So, I'm about to get way over my head.

My first MikroTik based proposal just triple in scope and the timeline turn from 4 months to WE NEED IT YESTERDAY.

Anyways, I was hoping for 2 things.

1.) someone could suggest some router hardware
2.) find the contact of someone in the greater DC area who could bail me out if the timeline bites me (consulting job)

Anyways, the project involves bringing an open captive portal hotspot SSID, a WPA2-Enterprise SSID and a CPE sevice.

The site has 40 buildings and 850 dorms/apartments. I will also have 300Mb/s of bandwidth coming into the property.

Each building will initially have 4 "hotspot"/WPA2-Enterprise APs. Lter, this load will be offset by CPE.
There will probably only be 300-400 CPE but Ill plan for 750

The bulk of the network will be Ubiquiti P2P and P2MP links.

I need a minimum of 2 routers.

The first is an "Edge" router and interface with the ISP (300Mb/s circuit) and OSPF router. Then there will be several P2P links that are effectively bonded to utalize the full 300Mb/s.

Next is the "Core Router" This router will
1.) run the hotspot portal (up to 850 accounts and maybe 2,000 devices)
2.) run a PPPoE service for the CPE (up to 750)
3.) vlans, basic firewall, QoS, etc.....

I would be grateful if the wonderful forum could provide hardware for both the Edge Router and the Core Router.

I would also love a suggestion for Radius/account management software. Each "Unit" can have up to 2 accounts. one for the hotspot and one for the CPE.

Also, I'm undecided about what to put in each building. I was thinking about a switch but then I saw the RB2011L-IN and thought it may be best to have a mini router in each building. I dont expect to have any more than 9 radios per building connected to a switch/router. Any thoughts.

All hardware suggestions really need to be in stock (somewhere) for the next 14 days. I can't wait, I have no lead time.

Also if anyone is a pro in the Washington DC area, please feel free to PM me. I may need backup on this job.

Thanks in advance for any help. I really don't want to buy another Cisco......

Adam

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hardware Selection Help

Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm

I would use the RB1100AHx2 for both the edge and the core routers. You might even want to look at something a little bigger for the core depending on how much QoS you are going to get into.
http://routerboard.com/RB1100AHx2
http://www.balticnetworks.com/routermax ... ition.html

For the Radius software it is hard to beat Radius Manager. There templates are ugly as hell but pretty easy to customize.
http://www.dmasoftlab.com/cont/home

Do you really need a router in each building? I would have one in each building because I wouldn't be doing a bridged network. Since your network sounds like it is going to be bridged you could get away with a switch.

We are not in DC but we are only about 4 hours away. You are more than welcome to contact us.

ofrxnz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hardware Selection Help

Thu May 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to get big enough hardware. That way, If I need a bail out, that is not an issue.

I've been lucky and got the timeline pushed back and actually have time to pre-configure and have been quite busy.
Their current ISP went bankrupt and threw a wrench in a lot of things.

Thanks