Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cris@usai.net
Topic Author

Routerboard hardware diagnostics

Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Had a RB1200 hang the other day on me .. after that it didn't pass traffic correctly.
dropped alot of packets.replaced router and connection was fine again.
Tech reccomended I update the firmware .. which is not a problem.. although it ran like a
champ for the time it was installed with the same old firmware. so I don't think that firmware is the problem.
all logs and memory tests show that it is fine.. but it is obviously not.

Is their some software available from Routerboard to run full diagnostics on it?
I suspect that they do this prior to it leaving the factory... wanted to know if we could test it out instead of
mailing it all the way to Latvia for them to have to do it..

shdwmstff

Re: Routerboard hardware diagnostics

Wed May 30, 2012 12:02 am

That would be a nice option.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 am

This would really be nice but...

Usually in manufacturing, full testing on the production line is usually achieved using something called ICT (in circuit testing) and is done via special needle adapters which physically test the electronic circuits, and optionally an EOL (end of line) software test. EOL is usually done by temporary loading some tool boxes to the processors RAM and running them, so they are not available in firmware. And these tollboxes have complete processor control during their run (and some restrictive copyright sometimes).
So as an option, only few EOL-like tests, if any, could be available for diagnostics (mainly because of firmware/OS restrictions which needs to be running and would interfere with testing), which is far from a "complete" diagnostic.

But some basic diagnostic functions would be nice to have - or at least, on demand, a detailed initialization log on the drivers at startup since most are capable of some diagnostic info (something like check/set an request -> reboot & log -> normal function & read init log), maybe similar to dmesg under Linux.

esmir
just joined

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 am

Hello,

is there any way to do "memory testing" like this http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterBOOT on devices without Console connector? For example memory test on device RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN.

Do you have now any idea is there any other way to do hardware diagnostics on MikroTik devices?

Best regards,