MikroTik App

rizwan602
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Backing up / restoring

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 am

Hello,

I have a device that is based on the MikroTik Routerboard 450 that is starting to fail intermittently. (It overheats in about 2 hours of use). When it gets "hot" it stops working.

The manufacturer says its out of warranty. This is my 3rd device from them and a little unhappy about the fact that failures keep happening. (The first two times was a power supply issue).

In any case my question is while this device is still running and not overheating, can I back it all up and restore it on a new Routerboard 450? That way I can have a functioning device again that I can rely on.

Rizwan

lordkappa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Backing up / restoring

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 am

Use the export command.
Export compact file %name%
then
import %file%
on the new box.

maxstel
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Use the export command.
then
import %file%
on the new box.
Just a note: "export compact" works only from RouterOS 5.12... In case the RB450 has an older version of RouterOS you must update (the new one too, I would suggest...)

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 pm

For identical devices also binary backup/restore works fine.
In Winbox select 'Files', next 'Backup' button.
Copy created backup file to second router and use 'Files/Restore'.
As maxstel suggested before backup/restore, upgrade RouterOS on both devices to same, latest version.

HTH,

rizwan602
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 am

How do I get to where I can use this command?

I tried to telnet into it by using the IP address the DHCP server on the network assigned it. I can sign onto the proprietary software's interface (not Mikrotik interface) through a browser. I also tried connecting via COM1 and still got only into the proprietary software's menu (which allows to reset all the ip addresses for their software, do a reset, etc.)

Its like the Mikrotik OS is not there anymore. I thought maybe there is Mikrotik OS that boots the device up partially and hands it over to the custom software -- but I can't see any evidence of that.

I also tried Winbox but the RB450 does not respond to Winbox on its ip address, yet, again I can access the web interface through https.

What can I try next?

Use the export command.
then
import %file%
on the new box.