Community discussions

MikroTik App

webbie
just joined

Re: RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN Questions Topic

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Hello Jarda,

Thank you for your reply.
The chasis looks really nice. Congratulations to it.
Thanks, a friend of mine, who has a Pro Audio company, did the machining of the parts.
Where the RB2011 will be mounted? It is not clear for me from the pictures you have provided.
The RB2011 will be mounted in front of the motherboard, see picture below.

(motherbord showing on picture is a defected one just for test fiting, I wanted to put in an Intel S1200KPR Server Board (which is unfortunally out of production))
You can power the RB2011 directly from PC power supply 12V branch (yellow-black). It will not have any influence on the performance. Just the antenas should be outside the metal box if you would like to use its wifi functionalities.
I'm planning to switch to longer antennas (with pigtails) which come in the front panel of the PC, so the antennas come above the 19" rack were the PC will be mounted in.
What sockets are you talking about? You can use whatever 12V connector leading outside from your PSU. Just make some reduction to the power in connector of RB2011 if you do not want to solder the wires directly.
The newer version of the RB2011 board has an extra 2-pole connector, see picture (red square).

(the LEDs on the RB2011 board will be routed to the front panel by lite pipes, except for the very anoying blue led which I wil tape of)
There is maybe disadvantage: There will be no power for RB2011 when the PC mainboard will be off because it drives the power supply, so it will be off too...
You're right, maybe it's better to use a separate PSU for the RB2011 to have power all the time.

Greetz Webbie...

BaRRmaley
just joined

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 pm

I would like to say "thanks" for such a good and stable router.
Using one in my office network.
Want to use another one at home, but they lack 5GHz and it's critical. Do you plan to sell one? :)

StaleDevil
just joined

Wed May 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello,

I've recently got this MikroTik RouterBoard RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN (firmware 3.18)
and would like some help on solving some networking issues.

I'm using this RouterBoard as an normal gateway router for my devices in my apartment.
just to let you know before-hand i'm not familiar with RouterOS at all neither the configuration syntax used by MikroTik.
Mainly used the web utility and since the last 24 ours i've noticed WinBox (version 6.28 now) "yeey"

first i've setup an basic setup for notebook and xbox(360/ONE) in the web utility.
wireless connections are all stable and good, however on the 1Gbit port of the Routerboard it totally collapse the
connection when i want to advertise only on 1Gbit full duplex. (the 1Gbit port is literally going offline on the RouterBoard)

notebook is a Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
and already replaced the cables RJ-45 CAT-5e / CAT 6
when turning advertise with 10mbit and 100mbit back the port is going up again really weird stuff.

Next to this i got my console xbox(360/ONE) attached to 1Gbit port with auto negotiation,
however i don't get any connection through due to some strict NAT policy that is blocking the connection.
Now i've tried to find the policy for this in the menu of the web utility but couldn't find anything specifically usefull so decided to add a couple of accept rules in the firewall no success either unfortunately.

I'll doing some digging on the WinBox utility if this has better ways to steer this RouterBoard
any help with this is of course highly appreciated :)

Kind Regards,
StaleDevil

ighenriquep
just joined

Thu May 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has already been answered here, though if it has, I must have missed it while reading the posts on this thread. Recently, I have been looking into MicroTik hardware to offer as a Networking solution to small and medium sized businesses statewide. I wasn't able to find any tests or, at the very least, articles on the rb2011's performance in a small corporate environment. How many active users does this hardware (Rb2011) handle simuntaneously without any Hic-ups or system crashes?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 am

How many active users does this hardware (Rb2011) handle simuntaneously without any Hic-ups or system crashes?
How many vehicles can be carried on a ferry without tipping over? It depends.

Are some vehicles buses and some vehicles "Smart" cars? How many of each exactly? How many are motorcycles? How many are limos? Did the vehicles get loaded properly to balance the ferry in the water? Is the ferry pilot competent enough to slow down before making a sharp turn? Is the ferry pilot going through a nasty divorce and drinking on duty? Is the sea smooth or choppy?

How many active users depends on what the users are doing, how often they do it, whether or not the Internet connection is under attack, how competent the admin is at optimizing the firewall / queue rules, what exactly the admin wants to do to the users' network connections (rate limits, block certain sites, mirror traffic to an IDS?), which version of RouterOS the admin chooses to run on it, and dozens of other variables.

I can confidently answer your question, as phrased, by saying that an RB2011 can probably handle between 0 and 1000 users behind it. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much to help you. The CCR1072 would probably be between 0 and 10,000 users. The Cisco 7206VXR with NPE-G2 would probably be between 0 and 10,000 users.

The "without any Hic-ups or system crashes" makes life very difficult for any vendor's product. Define what is an unacceptable hiccup? A hiccup which permits traffic to pass normally but doesn't let the admin use winbox until a reboot at 2 AM may, or may not, be acceptable.

ighenriquep
just joined

Fri May 15, 2015 1:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

A hiccup that keeps network traffic flowing normaly would definetly be acceptable. My only concern is anything that stopped the network flow. What I really wanna do is setup a simple firewall, nice and tight, without rules that the client doesn't deem as absolutely necessary, as well as proxy. We will also set up a network monitoring server to generate graphs about network usage in general to monitor all the traffic that passes through the appliance, since it does support SNMP. Aside from that, the only use that hardware will ever see might be as a dedicated access point for a few WiFi projects as well as hotspot setups.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 15, 2015 1:57 am

first i've setup an basic setup for notebook and xbox(360/ONE) in the web utility.
wireless connections are all stable and good, however on the 1Gbit port of the Routerboard it totally collapse the connection when i want to advertise only on 1Gbit full duplex. (the 1Gbit port is literally going offline on the RouterBoard)
Does the xbox survive the partner device only advertising 1G full duplex with other vendors' equipment? Does the notebook? If so, you may want to create a support ticket with MikroTik. If not, you are blaming the wrong device.

As part of the trouble shooting process you may want to load an earlier version of RouterOS on your RB2011. We are making the assumption that the version of RouterOS on your device matches the version number you gave for WinBoX, 6.28.

[RANT]MikroTik keeps adding new features to the "stable" version of RouterOS which have a tendency to make every version of RouterOS a brand new beta with unexpected new problems. 6.18 seemed to have some feature maturity and be pretty reliable in my networks. I do not yet have faith in any version after 6.20. I am still beta testing a few of the more recent versions, 6.25 through 6.27, at various quiet locations around my networks. 6.8 should have been a beta of a new major version. 6.18 could have been the newversion.0. Version between 6.18 and 6.27 could have been betas for newversion.1. 6.28 probably should have been yet another new major version. Too many new features planted deep in the system.[/RANT]
notebook is a Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
and already replaced the cables RJ-45 CAT-5e / CAT 6
when turning advertise with 10mbit and 100mbit back the port is going up again really weird stuff.
If it works in the default configuration, why would you want to neuter the devices' ability to maintain some sort of connectivity in the event of an ethernet cable deteriorating because someone ran over it with their chair a few hundred times? What problem are you solving by changing the defaults?
Next to this i got my console xbox(360/ONE) attached to 1Gbit port with auto negotiation,
however i don't get any connection through due to some strict NAT policy that is blocking the connection.
Now i've tried to find the policy for this in the menu of the web utility but couldn't find anything specifically usefull so decided to add a couple of accept rules in the firewall no success either unfortunately.
You will have to ask a search engine what the meaning is of the exact error message the xbox is giving you. Then you may have to show us your NAT configuration so we can tell you what you broke by changing default options which tend to work pretty well. [Of course, the problem could be a bug in the new fasttrack code.] The NAT rules are configured under "IP" "Firewall" on the "NAT" tab. Mostly you need to know what the xbox thinks is wrong before you change random options in the MikroTik. It may be that a device upstream from the MikroTik is the actual culprit for this error. You did not provide us enough information to make an educated guess.

When you have more detailed information, you may want to post your question as a new thread. It doesn't really belong in this one.

StaleDevil
just joined

Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 am

Hello Lambert,

thanks for the information thus far.
will test some more in the older routerOS versions as mentioned.

1Gbit should be available 1Gbit on notebook and xbox (360/ONE).
now what i wanted to test is the create a static network advertise that only 1Gbit devices can run on it thus disabling the 10mbit and 100mbit.
anyway i'll do some more tests if i need any additional help on that, you'll hear me ;)
however i did fixed the routing issue for connection to xbox (360/ONE) works at least now, not optimal, but it's a start.

thanks for the feedback thus far :)

Cheers StaleDevil

PS:
anyone know how to resolve loss of bandwidth on the gigabit switch ports
if i attach my notebook directly on the WAN cable i'll get around 125~112 Mbps down
but when i have it connected through the MikroTik (port1 WAN gateway and port2 to the notebook) i'll get only 76~64 Mbps down.

any ideas?

henriqueh12
just joined

Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 am

Guys I got 3 of those and I'm satisfied. That's a big word from me :D. USB connector design is "not the best looking one", but it's not disturbing at all. The one most disturbing issue is that blue LED is like a flashlight. Is there a way to turn it off or lower the intensity of that LED?

My router came with 128MB of RAM and 128MB of internal Flash memory. All 3 routers had some bad blocks even on first boot (0.2%), but there are enough free memory to test a simple metarouter.

Wireless performance is much better compared to RB750*. Link quality and stability is great unlike previously mentioned device.
Peak (continuous) wireless performance was ~108Mbps on ~5m distance during CIFS file transfer, HTTP is a bit better. I didn't tested UDP because most of my traffic is TCP (CIFS/HTTP). Performance on 10 meters + 2 walls was about 60Mbps. Test is done by a simple notebook with Atheros wireless card.

So my stuff arrived yesterday and it seems to be working really well! I have 2x RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN, one for my home automation and one for testing purposes.

If anyone has any questions about it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

One question I remember being asked is how big the internal flash storage is. Sadly it's only 64MB. It comes half full with about 30MB left of free space. Of course you can expand it using the USB port.

I made a picasa album with some (phone) photo's I've taken. If anyone wants some close up pictures of some part I can make them. The album can be found here.

Well, let's get this topic rolling! :D

Did you manage to turn the leds off on thsi device?

kimdobranski

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:55 am

Port 8 suddenly stopped working. Light won't come on when you plug a device in. Not sure how to trouble shoot.

-Kim

Quindor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 am

Port 8 suddenly stopped working. Light won't come on when you plug a device in. Not sure how to trouble shoot.

-Kim
Have you tried making a cross connection with another port, also with a different cable? If the port still doesn't come online that way, it's probably broken. Maybe because of a power surge or something like that from the other side?

astraliens
just joined

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello
I'm Mikrotik newbie and just bought RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN model.
Before purchased. My target is to use for load balance + Wifi N 300MB speed.
After connected wifi with my laptop. The signal showing as Wifi N but the speed only 54 Mbps.
Is there any body can confirmed. This model support or not support wifi speed up to 300 Mbps.
If not, I would looking for new AP to connect with.
If yes, Is there any body can share the configuration?

Thanks for your kind info.
check your laptop wifi module specs, possibly it can't work faster by design. also check wireless config on RB, it should be 2GHz B/G/N or N only. channel width 20/40 MHz CE . also if advanced mode used - try to set default data rates and tx power for defaults. also check signal quality..

and don't expect real 300MB, with good signal and good wireless module on a remote side you can reach ~100-120MB

astraliens
just joined

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks for your kind info.
By follow your all suggestion. I can get speed up to 300 Mbps already. (The status of connection).
One more question. Disable/Enable "WMM" will improve or drop Wifi performance?
The default setting is "Disabled"
this option mostly for mobile devices to enable power saving... i'm not sure will it drop performance or not, but if you don't use wifi on your mobile or use it rarely - maybe it'll be better to leave it disabled

ivoradev
just joined

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year!

I do use Mikrotik devices and I am very pleased with their work. I had a new RB2011UiAS-2HnD in a box for few months and did forget about it, then when my D7 Archer started doing annoying things (power surge maybe) I remembered about it and use the RB2011 with an aDSL modem and must say, despite being cheaper of some of my routers, that's the best one I had at home. No idea why didn't use one earlier at home, since I use Mikrotik a lot with customers ...

Anyway, everything works great, don't miss the AC WiFi for now home that the D7 Archer had, but I do have one issue. It might just be me not doing it properly, but I did make some tests before I write here.

The USB storage. Works fine with a 32GB usb flash drive. Kinda "works" with a 2.5" USB 1TB external drive with no external power. It does though play crazy sometimes, couldn't really format it, so I formatted it under Linux first and I can't copy a file (except let's say small text files like subtitles) to the drive while it is connected on the router.
I do have another smaller 500GB WD 3,5" drive that has external power but this one can't be seen at all in "disks".

So my question, if anyone else has played with using the USB as NAS.

Are external hard drives suitable or is the USB port too weak to power them on? That's my feeling, since USB flash drive works perfect, but not the 2.5" external HDD.
Would then the Mikrotik 5V USB power injector help (that's what I think and have ordered one, just in case)?
What could then be wrong with the older external HDD that is self powered?

Would appreciate if someone has an experience with that and could drop few lines! Thanks in advance!

Ivo