MikroTik App

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SXT are not for outdoor. damaged units

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 am

Hi,

I am very disappointed with Mikrotik SXT products, in a pack of 5 SXT 3 of them are damaged with a few days of rain.

Why these units have holes ?!?!

I figured out that the SXT get water in and are not made for outdoor :P

I had to protect these 2 mikrotik professional outdoor units that did not broke. yet !!

Please Mikrotik, contact me by PM/email and send me 5 units that really work in outdoor conditions, maybe SEXTANT units ?!

Glad to use mikrotik.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT are not for outdoor. damaged units

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:35 pm

The same happened to me on one unit out of 7. I've sprayed oil on the pcb and also buy an protection spray for future use.

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:30 pm

The same happened to me on one unit out of 7. I've sprayed oil on the pcb and also buy an protection spray for future use.
Oil ? but the ship is damaged, the SXT turn on but does not boot.

And how can we trust in equipment like this to setup in client´s house. the clients are very mad with me. Now need to sent it to RMA and wait lots of days for it arrive.

thanks

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:01 am

It seems to be a common issue. On the newer models the chip has been moved.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66761
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63302
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49161

The Sextants seem to be better but if your not very gentle their Ethernet ports fall off.

Btw your exposed Ethernet cable wont last too long out there, wrap it up in tape :)

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 am

It seems to be a common issue. On the newer models the chip has been moved.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66761
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63302
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49161

The Sextants seem to be better but if your not very gentle their Ethernet ports fall off.

Btw your exposed Ethernet cable wont last too long out there, wrap it up in tape :)

Thanks for the post, about the cable, its temporary.

:D

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 am

I also wonder how can anyone develop such design. Water, broken UTP, very hard to bend the cable, memory in the way of cable. Very bad design. It's safer to buy an pvc box and move the radio.

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

I got an answer from Mikrotik Support.
Hello,

SXT units are used all over the world, for more than a year without such issues. Are
you sure you are installing them correctly, as in page 6 of the manual or a in this
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNo1B7K-YY

Note the mounting direction, so that ethernet goes straight down. Make sure you
close the SXT door very tightly, so that it makes a "click". Make sure there is no
tilt or angle, that the cable does downwards, not to the side.
They show a youtube movie wich teatch us how to install, but i see another hole if i use the ground cable.

The unit shown in the movie is news, mine has the memmory chip under that screw. Maybe the new units are more prepared for outdoor conditions.

The better option for now it to isolate the cable entry and the sxt door with hot glue, but the watter can come in by the other small holes, if the wind get bad with rain.

They have improved latest SXT model. Please send it to me as RMA :)

Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

movie wich teatch us how to install, but i see another hole if i use the ground cable.
In the beginning of this movie, you are instructed to make this hole yourself. if you don't use grounding (bad idea), then don't make the hole

hipro5
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm

IF you're not familiar with outdoor units (no-matter what units), don't do it. :)

A BASIC rule when you want to put something OUTSIDE is: "DON'T PUT IT AS IS" :)

Go and buy Vaselin to put everywere around it (cover it - into holes, etc.) or silicone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Caulking.jpg - sheal it well and then take it outside.

EVEN if it is under that plastic bottle you're showing, humidity IF it's a lot, will go inside it and corrosion will take place on the parts. ;)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 pm

I dont understand how so many people have issues with SXT.

We have a bunch from the first production run, 100m from the ocean with high wind going about 2km and they have been rock solid. They have survived several tropical cyclones now.

We mounted them just like in the Mikrotik video.

hipro5
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 pm

EDIT: Another thread!.....my bad.... :D

swissiws
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am

Why do you guys not use coax sealer? I closed all holes and gaps -

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 pm

I dont understand how so many people have issues with SXT.

We have a bunch from the first production run, 100m from the ocean with high wind going about 2km and they have been rock solid. They have survived several tropical cyclones now.

We mounted them just like in the Mikrotik video.

Have you done a visual inspection, or power cycled them?
If they have rusted up its likely the reset button will be rooted and it wont hold configuration.

Hotz1

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 am

I dont understand how so many people have issues with SXT. We have a bunch from the first production run, 100m from the ocean with high wind going about 2km and they have been rock solid. They have survived several tropical cyclones now. We mounted them just like in the Mikrotik video.
Have you done a visual inspection, or power cycled them? If they have rusted up its likely the reset button will be rooted and it wont hold configuration.
Our experience has been the same as nz_monkey's: More than a year ago, we installed 3 SXTs (and an OmniTik) in a multi-building campus, which sits on a windy hill directly overlooking the ocean <1km away. The only issue we had was last Summer when a sweating irrigation pipe inside a utility shed dripped on a PoE box and fried the RJ45 plug. The SXTs themselves have been sitting out in the sun, rain, snow and wind for over a year with zero maintenance. They were last rebooted only 45 days ago (probably an upgrade to 5.22), which means they are still holding their configuration.

FWIW, we did not seal any holes, or treat or modify the board or enclosure in any way; just mounted it in the proper orientation. We did secure the Cat5 to form a drip loop.

ronniee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:10 pm

SextandG is outdoor? I checked the SextantG units, but it seems doesn't have isolation around, and maybe the water enter inside.
Somebody has this situation?

gentlehelper
just joined

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 pm

sorry to hear you are having issues with them. I havent had any water damage with all that I have deployed.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Lads. Honestly. The top hole is covered until you break it open. If you don't use it or don't ground, don't break it open. Common sense.

We've used SXT's since they were launched, in Ireland, which is like 90%+ humidity and constant rain and we've had none of these issues. Because we don't break open that cover. And we've got like 100's of these units out there.

/M

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:21 am

I have a lot of units. about 12000 other and 150 SXT. I live in Norway - and have had less failure to SXT than other Product. To the 150 SXT, i have had 1 faile. This unit i had to make a /system reset and all was ok.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:03 am

Lads. Honestly. The top hole is covered until you break it open. If you don't use it or don't ground, don't break it open. Common sense.

We've used SXT's since they were launched, in Ireland, which is like 90%+ humidity and constant rain and we've had none of these issues. Because we don't break open that cover. And we've got like 100's of these units out there.

/M
I used some a long time ago and they lasted a few months, this with low gain and other reasons is why I don't use them, instead I use a much higher gain, better built antenna which costs extra and the extra cost is definitely offset by reliability

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:30 am

I used some a long time ago and they lasted a few months, this with low gain and other reasons is why I don't use them, instead I use a much higher gain, better built antenna which costs extra and the extra cost is definitely offset by reliability
That's a complete different discussion from the problem above. Everyone has their preferences. I've been through massive amounts of different mtik based CPEs through the years and the choices are always down to quality and supply and a combination thereof.

Since we're now running dual-chain on everything, choices for dual-pol clients that actually do the trick properly is limited. Sextant and SXT do a good job here. Waterlogging is NOT an issue, if one applies common sense.

/M

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 pm

That's a complete different discussion from the problem above. Everyone has their preferences. I've been through massive amounts of different mtik based CPEs through the years and the choices are always down to quality and supply and a combination thereof.

Since we're now running dual-chain on everything, choices for dual-pol clients that actually do the trick properly is limited. Sextant and SXT do a good job here. Waterlogging is NOT an issue, if one applies common sense.

/M
It was after the rj45 socket had corroded that we decided not to purchase any more.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:15 pm

SXT in Lagos Nigeria, it is cool, no water leakage of any sort till date except when one of my boys did an installation and forgot to cover it, even at that, it lasted for several months until the Connector get rusted and blow the board. we have installed over 100 and no issue of leakage.

The only issue i got with few is lost of ethernet port.

Ledis
just joined

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I also having Problems with SXT units.

SXT It's NOT Outdoor unit even If Mikrotik says that It is. It also explains why SXT doesn't have Ingress Protection Rating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code).

It would be impossible this device grand Ingress Protection Rating better than IP4X.

Unfortunately we have to deal with the fact that Mikrotik Still Claims that these Devices are Outdoor and they Refuse to cover deflected devices under warranty.
This Crappy Enclosure is still used in New Models.

I suggest that Mikrotik have to Improve the Casings of the "Outdoor" Devices
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

solibra
just joined

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 pm

To those complaining:

Next time you buy an outdoor product, make sure the enclosure has a IP (Ingress Protection) rating.

Now, every half decent engineer would tell you that IP53 is the minimum IP code that should be used for equipment installed outdoors.
IP53 stipulates protection against dust and spraying water up to an angle of 60° from the vertical.

Routerboard SXTs are not rated at all (which speaks volumes) and they certainly don't conform to an IP53 or higher rating.

First observations from the photos posted here:

- Very poor liquid ingress protection design (no rubber gasket to seal the housing parts, holes above 60° from vertical).
- Poor ABS compound (not UV stabilized, bound to corrode)

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Yes - IP (Ingress Protection) rating or lack of will give a definitive answer to the question about this product being suitable for use outdoor, thank goodness for Made for Mikrotik suppliers?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 am

+1 for no problems w/ the SXT devices.

Maybe the mild California climate is to blame.

That being said I prefer a ARC integrator enclosure w/ RB911 over a SXT/SEXTANT any day. Better mounting bracket, better quality antenna, just overall better quality...

karina

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:43 am

I don't understand why so many problems reported. 100,s deployed since first released. Never had one water ingress issue that was not down to careless install. Southern Spain hot summers cold winters high humidity levels. Mega rain storms. Never do anything more that the Mikrotik recommended method of install.

Come on guys stop complaining about build quality on a budget device. You want high quality you pay high price. Having said that the sxt is remarkable for its price. I challenge anyone to design better and sell for same price.

karina

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 am

SXT It's NOT Outdoor unit even If Mikrotik says that It is. It also explains why SXT doesn't have Ingress Protection Rating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code).

It would be impossible this device grand Ingress Protection Rating better than IP4X.

Unfortunately we have to deal with the fact that Mikrotik Still Claims that these Devices are Outdoor and they Refuse to cover deflected devices under warranty.
This Crappy Enclosure is still used in New Models.

I suggest that Mikrotik have to Improve the Casings of the "Outdoor" Devices
That sxt has not been installed correctly. Door is not closed properly.

karina

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 am

Trying to force the door closed over a cable that is too large for the hole will cause the problem of water ingress as in the pictures shown in this thread.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 am

Since you use a non standard cable, you must modify the hole to be a bit bigger, currently it is clear that the door is not closed, as you can see a gap around it. The door must tightly "click" to close. The SXT is our most popular product, and there are only a few complaints on this forum, mostly due to improper installation or use.