MikroTik App

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB2011 mount and router power cord problem

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Hello!

Bought RB2011UiAS-IN and wall mount for it to put it on the wall.
I'm not sure what is the idea of the design, but I can't plug in the power connector first and then put the router in the mount, cause power plug obstructs the router to fit in the case and link to the small holder on the back. Neither can I plug power connector into the router when it is already seating in the mount. The space available between the part of the mount, "protecting" the power jack, and the router back is far from enough to allow this. Even more the hight of the L-shaped power plug is larger than space available between parts. See photo.

How to provide power to the router in the mount with power adapter?
Is this mount designed only for PoE powered applications?

Pity, but I can imagine only one solution for those, who use power adapter, supplied with RB2011 - to cut out the part of the mount or bend it away. It's ok for me, cause no one will try to unplug it at my home, but what about other applications?

Is this a design fault or am I missing smth?

Regards,
Petr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011 mount and router power cord problem

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:35 pm

This is a design fault.

Good to know this but this is a pity that this happend

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 pm

appears to be the only available WM kit is only compatible with older 2011 hw revision with power jack deep within unit/rb.
really disturbing/disappointing(just like former jack location, for example).
hope updated/fixed WM kits will be produced/sold more soon-ish.

p.s.
personally i was shocked by absence of wallmountability, when im bought first of my 2011's btw. really unpleasant surprise. looks really weird on background of other MT devices.
same about mini-USB-USB OTG cables, that was placed into 2011 boxes, way later too.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am

I really do not understand why there cannot be normal big usb connector. I am also disappointed by OTG cable.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:34 pm

I really do not understand why there cannot be normal big usb connector. I am also disappointed by OTG cable.
well, its made in slightly one-sided perception thats mini-USB cables are widespread. which is may be true, atleast in EU future, not present days, but certainly irrelevant for other regions.
also it had to be used instead of CISCO-type serial cable in future for management and recovery(or breaking into) of devices.
not big ussue when OTG cable start been placed in package, but still surprises new customers, as far as i see.
personally find major flaw of type C connector in less electrical and mechanical strength.
using OTG cable, however make all setup look bulky/messy, especially if it was just 1 centimeter-long USB flash stick on other end. no big deal in case of huge external harddrive, separately-powered.
thats why i would enjoy COMBINATION of SD card slot and Mini-USB socket, for example.

Zavi

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 pm

There are few threads regarding the microUSB. The reason for microUSB is, that MikroTik planned some features for connecting to computer (use RB as modem or something), but they aren't there yet (i guess that will be introduced together with mAP), even in settings can be found client or host mode option for USB.
But i still think, that for RB2011 as big desktop device will be the standard USB A more useful. Also i don't like the special kind of antennas (non-RSMA with special loose mounting).

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm

My words about the antennas. You know, such solution is much cheaper - no need for connectors. Anyway, I cannot imagine why we should connect computers for normal usage to router as modem by usb and utilize cpu power when all computers have their wire/wireless nics that offload the cpu. Strange.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 pm

There are few threads regarding the microUSB. The reason for microUSB is, that MikroTik planned some features for connecting to computer (use RB as modem or something), but they aren't there yet (i guess that will be introduced together with mAP), even in settings can be found client or host mode option for USB.
But i still think, that for RB2011 as big desktop device will be the standard USB A more useful. Also i don't like the special kind of antennas (non-RSMA with special loose mounting).
well, actually USB port already support LTE and 3G(both kind of) modems.
as for using RB2011 as modem - untrue.
actually they meant(if im remember right) using usb-cable as alternative to CISCO serial cord. so instead of plug blue cord into rear serial port, you - just plug usb cable for same purpose.
yeah, standard A - more useful, durable and convenient to use. and such USB-cable can be easy/cheaply made(and already found, probably) for this connector, too.