MikroTik App

jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Netgear AC762s LTE adapter & Routerboard

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi.

Has anyone managed to get this adapter tethered to a routerboard?

I am trying on an RB433UAH with RouterOS 6.11

Under Ports, if I select Ignore DirectIP modem in firmware, I can get the USB port to show up in the port list, but there is nothing listed in interfaces (Expecting to see Lte1 etc)

If I leave that option unchecked, then it does show up in interfaces as Lte1 or Lte2, but then there is no USB port listed under ports.

/system resource usb print shows the device as
# DEVICE VENDOR NAME SPEED
2 1:2 NETGEAR AC762S 480Mbps
(remember, this only shows up when disable direct IP modem in firmware is disabled)

and when disable direct IP modem in firmware is enabled, then I can list the usb port like so.
# DEVICE NAME CHANNELS USED-BY BAUD-RATE
1 1:2 usb2 3 9600

/system serial-terminal usb2 channel = 1 (or 2, or 3) gives no output, so it's not talking to it I think.

No matter what I try, I can't get this working.

Hoping someone can help as I really need this to work for a temporary office i've setup.

Thanks.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Netgear AC762s LTE adapter & Routerboard

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Have you seen LTE by interfaces this can by the netgear

See this http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/mikrotik/pages/3g

In dutch but you can folow the printscreens a made

RogerWilco

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:30 am

Under Ports, if I select Ignore DirectIP modem in firmware, I can get the USB port to show up in the port list, but there is nothing listed in interfaces (Expecting to see Lte1 etc)
If you have disabled DirectIP drivers, you won't see the LTE interface. A standard PPP interface should work with the modem as it is the Sierra Wireless (made before Netgear bought consumer division).
If you have the DirectIP drivers enabled, you won't be able to use the USB ports; you need to configure it via the LTE interface.

jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

i've tried all combinations and still can't get this working. With Direct IP drivers enabled, the device shows up as LTE1, but inactive. Adding Dhcp to it just shows the status as stopped. Any attempt to get info the the interface gets errors.

With direct IP drivers disabled, i've added PPP to the usb2 interface. It gets an IP address, but as soon as any traffic attempts to flow, it immediately dissapears. Status shows it as "waiting for packets" log says "ppp-out1: waiting for packets..." Have tried all data and info ports, no joy.

Unless I am overlooking something really obvious, it would appear that routerOS 6.11 does not support this device. I am hoping Miktorik will read this and come to the rescue.

Thanks

RogerWilco

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:12 am

It probably won't work with LTE at all. I imagine it suffers from the same LTE issue as the 320U. Your best bet will be PPP.
What are your settings for the PPP interface?

jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:17 pm

At the moment, I have it set as follows.

Direct IP disabled (to get rid of the lte interface as per your comment in the last post about lte probably not working)
Netgear plugged into usb2, and port set at 9600, 8,n,1
ppp client everything set as default except port changed to usb2 and mschap1 and mschap2 disabled. I have tried adding an APN (3internet, 3ireland.ie) and access number of #99 no matter what setting I use, I get a private IP in the 10.64 range, but no data will flow. As soon as any tries, the ppp interface dies. Status is always "waiting for packets". I've tried different date and info channels, to no avail.

RogerWilco

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:44 am

Try:
- Data channel = 3
- Info channel = 2
- Dialling = *99#
- Dial command = ATDT
- your username/password if required by your ISP
- Use Peer DNS
- Add default route

Once done, click the Info button on the right and see if it connects fine to get cell information.

jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 am

Channel 3 comes up as an invalid data channel. Seems the highest data and info channels are 2 on this. Have tried all combinations, no joy.

Regardless on any of the settings in ppp. what I do notice, is that the IP address I get is private, even though the modem profile is set to getting a public one. This is done by the APN name. If we use 3ireland, then a public IP is assigned, and if the APN is 3ireland.ie, then a private one is assigned. I can check and verify those APN's work as expected when the modem is plugged into a windows machine and I can access the web interface.

Anyway, even though a private IP is got, no data will flow, and if It tries, the ppp interface immediately disconnects until traffic stops, and it will once again get a private IP.

Its like the modem is not able to respond to the ppp settings we're trying to give it and it is doing it's own thing regardless.

RogerWilco

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 am

Not sure what else could be wrong, but since it has a web config page, I'd email MikroTik and send a support output file.
Why not keep the APN that issues the public one? Does the Info button show any errors?

Just a though, what settings do you have in the modem?

Do you have NAT masquerading on?

jimbojones
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi, and thanks for the replies once again.

Doesn't matter (in routerOS) which APN I set, it seems to ignore it and always gets a 10. Ip address which can not pass any data.

Interestingly enough, I tried to connect it to a debain server, and a dmesg shows the modem, but once again, found it totally impossible to talk to the damned thing.

I'll sent a supout file to Mikrotik and see if they can help. Thanks for all your suggestions.