MikroTik App

Zorgas
just joined
Topic Author

Home Hardware Config

Mon May 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi everyone.
First post, first question.

I'm moving to a new house where I decided to have a better network configuration.
After some research, I think more and more about buy RB products for my project.

So I began to design my future electronic home.
I think I've understood the 101 of network configuration and what product for which use.

But, uncertain, I decided to post here and to ask your help, if you're OK with it, to confirm if I did right or wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Z.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Home Hardware Config

Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 pm

is there any particular reason why you'd buy this much devices?
i mean, in case you want to distribute them around your place, it's possible.

if you have cat5+ cables already running to a central point, i'd buy a crs125 instead.
basically you'd get more ports this way for less bucks, and you'd still have all the features the 2011 can give.

even if you distribute your stuff, i saw you are using the same /24 w/o sub netting, so if you stick to
the 2011 you could threw in some rb260sw-s, or the ones with SFP on the back to have one more port,
and have the same task done but a bit cheaper. (RB750G vs RB260SW)

or if you just don't care what's going on, you could use some entry level switches to do the trick. but if i got it
right you have some VLANs between the 2011 and one of the 750s.

using the RB750Gs you can do some serious routing/filtering, if you need, but i'm not able to judge whether
you need any of those fancy features in your home.

i'd also consider using mtik's 951 series routers with wifi then, and omit the APs.

do you want to use the Basebox outdoors? if so, two advices:
- use the groove. you get a 30cm long omni antenna bundled. [and it also looks like a small lightsaber]
- separate the outdoor wifi network from your internal stuff. use filtering to limit what a wireless client can
reach

just one addition: do you plan to have a guest-wifi? you'd need then to use some sort of tunnelling back to
the rb2011 or filtering in the base box to make sure guests got only internet access and nothing more.

Zorgas
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. A lot of good questions. I try to be more specific.

The main problem about the connections is that the fiber cable is at one place (behind the main electrical panel). From there I got one cable per room.
So from the main panel to the cinema-room there is only one cable going...

It's sure that if I could have as much cable I want reaching that place, the cr125 will be a great solution.
But I'm stick with this cables configuration (no way to add more cables).

I agree with you about the RB260, more interesting in my case. I have to check if this model can manage different vlan.
I need it for the "Freebox" a box from my internet provider which need some vlan to allow phone functionnalities.
This box also provide some WiFi signal, but with poor configurations.
Wifi is not critical inside the house (just for our smartphone and a laptop for light needs). For this reason, I don't think about the 951 product.

The outdoor one is more like a special bonus, but I'm not sure if at the end I will add it.
But you're right about the Groove one. More interest/cheap version.

When I think about the time I spent on the site to look the products and missed the logic in my choicie...

And for last, no, I don't plan to have guest-wifi.

One question comes to me, if I connect everything to the Gigabits ports of the 2011, can I have some performance issues ?
Even if, except the 3 computers, everything can handle no more than 100MB...

Z.

PS: Maybe, when I have more knowledge with network and configuration, the idea to put the server into another sub network can be useful. But for now, let's try to do simple...

Kreacher

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:28 am

Hello Zorgas,

here is a network scheme from the new house of my brother.
We were putting inside the walls CAT.7 cables and connect them
to dual port networks wall plugs CAT.6a and all comes together in
a small room in the basement connected to a 24 Port CAT.6a Patchpanel
and from there to the both switches, this is installed in a small 19" rack 12U
all patch cables were also CAT.6a because internet and telephone cable comes
out in the basement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zorgas
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Kreacher,
sorry for the so last reply.
Thank you for sharing your brother installation but I think it's a little too much for me.

I will buy everything for xmas, but now I already changed the RB2011 for the new CRS109.

We will see if any other new products come before my deadline...

Zorgas
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:12 pm

OK I'm a little lost now.
It was all clear for me, but I made a mistake. I surfed on the internet.

I was reading some topic on the EdgePro from Ubiquity.
Then I read some HW requirements for pfSense.

I'm not trying to find who is better, but more who can manage my requirements. Do I need more powerful ? Or the CRS109 is enough for what I will do with my home server.

And what I will do ?

Is it able to manage 2 BluRay stream across the house ?
Or if I'm seeing a stream, and my wife go to Netflix
Or if I stream audio from my server to all the client ?

My knowledge in networks is not enough to understand when my problem come from bandwidth limitations or from CRS109 hardware limitations...