Community discussions

MikroTik App

cAfstA
just joined
Topic Author

Powering 2 rb's

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:34 am

Hi guys.

I'm new to the whole networking/wireless scene. I read a few documents and watch a few clips and tutorials as to how things work so am learning as I go along.

For the better part of 5 years I've used a rb433 but never fiddled with it or experimented. Now I'm wanting to learn so have upgraded the rb to a rb433uah and purchased a rb711g. I have a 30dbi dish connected to the rb711g and on the rb433uah I have a 24dbi dish and two 27dbi grids.

Now my dilemma is this. How do I power both rb's, using one cat5 cable running from the rb's on the pole to my poe inside by my pc. Is this possible or do I have to run two cat5 cables.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you and kind regards.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

cAfstA
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Powering 2 rb's

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Anyone have suggestions or advice?

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:33 am

just do POE mod on the board , then you can send the incomming power to the next board ... we do it wit up to 8 devices on 1 board (RB493)

cAfstA
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:13 am

@honzam... Thank you for the response but I have one of those and it still only powers one rb unless I'm doing something wrong.

@Petzl... Thank you too. Do you have a link as to how to do this mod and what is needed.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 am

Or add a RB260GSP switch to the group if the budget allows.
You get power consumption monitoring, selective power down/remote reset, wire speed filtering et. al.
And you will have 2 additional PoE ports available for further expansion.
It will fit in a small weather proofed housing on the pole...
(I use this setup with 2 Nanostations, the switch being in the attic).

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 am

Or add a RB260GSP [...] You get power consumption monitoring, selective power down/remote reset, wire speed filtering et. al.
Do you really get the ability to reset RouterBOARDs connected via the PoE ports? I can't find any mention of this in any documentation - can you provide a link?
This would be a fantastic feature to save climbing poles, etc. just to press the reset button!

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 pm

You can disable and then enable PoE on a specific port via the switches web interface and thus get your power reset.

The settings are missing in the SWos Link Tab (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/File:Swos_link.png) settings..
On the RB260GSP there are additional options to enable/disable PoE (on/off/auto) and see te supplied current and the power consumption for each of the PoE out ports.

And you can of course supply your RB260GSP via passive PoE on first ethernet port (you need an injector for this...).

cAfstA
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Thank you docmarius. I checked out that item you mentioned. I guess that's the easiest option for me then. Budget does not allow for it right now but at least I know what to get.

I'll just run the two cables in the mean time then.

Thanx again

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:47 pm

You can disable and then enable PoE on a specific port via the switches web interface and thus get your power reset.
Ah, I misread that as a remote configuration-reset akin to pressing the reset button on power-up.

Still, not to waste a good idea...

Ticket #2014070866000431: Feature request: remote reset-configuration if connected to MikroTik switch / PoE
Hello,

Don't know if you've read this thread:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86699

It's possible to get a MikroTik Switch (e.g. RB260GSP) to power-cycle a connected RouterBOARD by toggling PoE-out on a switch port.
Could you add a feature to SwOS switches to signal to connected RouterBOARDs that a config-reset (or equivalent of holding down reset button) is required?

One idea could be to drop down to 10baseT mode (to enforce 2-pair communication and ignore negotiation to 100/1000) and use the spare pairs for a mix of PoE (DC) and a custom freq. AC "tone" (e.g. 1KHz)? You could even use one of the spare pairs as a "return" to indicate reset light status (e.g. flashing, steady, off)

You could even make small PoE injectors with "reset-config" feature for people with RouterBOARDs that are hard to access. (Not quite as good as remote reset-config but still very useful!)

Thanks!
Anyone else think this might be a useful feature?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:28 pm

I wish I haven't had to use reset. Never ever.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 am

@honzam... Thank you for the response but I have one of those and it still only powers one rb unless I'm doing something wrong.

@Petzl... Thank you too. Do you have a link as to how to do this mod and what is needed.

don.t have a direct answer for a 433 ...

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... it=poe+mod
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... it=poe+mod

NOTE : not possible with gigabit boards!