Community discussions

MikroTik App

NicolBolas
just joined
Topic Author

Specification requests - CCR product line

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi,

I've spent a few years playing with routerboards and used a few in real network applications. I now work at for relatively large ISP and thought of using CCRs to offload a few tasks from high-end routers not performing as well as advertised.

We've been doing some lab exepriments to validate the use of RB1x00 and CCRs as netflow probes and MPLS aware LNS routers, but a few aspects remain problematic.

The hardware design, clean and lean in principle, doesn't quite match our usual requirements. Interfaces choice ain't optimal either.

Of course, the lack of use-case oriented documentation, quality assurance on the software and direct support contracts is also an issue that I hope to work around pretty soon. But let's stick to the hardware side.

* Interfaces

In large carrier hotels and datacenters, we don't use copper anymore. Every single link is built using single-mode fibre (rarely multimode). Everything but the local management interface has to use SFP / XFP / SFP+ slots.

For 10G specificaly, when using colored DWDM modules, XFP is way preferable to SFP+ as it allows for higher power modules required for DWDM metro links.

Also, knowing the Tilera Gx8036 has 4x10G capability, it'll be nice to get something a bit more modular.

My point is to consider (cold or hot) plugable interface modules with the following specs :

* Single port SFP+
* Single port XFP
* Quad port SFP
* Quad port RJ-45
* Switched 10-12 ports SFP
* Switched 10-12 ports RJ-45
* Switched 10-12 ports RJ-45 with passive PoE control

4 slots would be made available on the front side, with a middle-plane that could be a unique feature for every models in the CCR line.

* Power supply

With this design, the rear side would have an replaceable CPU board to allow cold upgrades from 9 to 16 or 36 cores as required. It would also host two power supply slots with the following models :

* 80-240V AC
* 12-60V DC
* 80-240V AC with integrated battery charger and UPS feature (for remote FTTx and radio shelters)

* CPU board

The same chassis could also eventually fit a switching-oriented CPU board with less features than a Tilera based board, to re-use interface modules, chassis and power-supplies for remote points.

The mid-plane would allow activation of only 2 slots for a Gx8009 based CPU board and up to 4 on a Gx8036 based board. I'tll handle console port and OOB management network, chassis monitoring (via an OOB SoC eventually) and local storage (at least embeded flash as a backup boot/conf for the CPU board).

* Chassis

The total depth of the chassis is critical for remote endpoints : many switches (Huawei's quidways, Cisco ME 3x00) are too deep for street cabinets. 40-45cm is the upper limit.

The front side display as proven useless in most use-case. Although local monitoring is nice in critical situations, we alwas have local serial consoles to work on-site and can't afford a local access to the equipment with a weak pin code as the sole access control when in colocation telco rooms. On the other hand, a local (PCIe-based ?) management network (out-of-band) port would be a great adition, so would be a RJ-45/48 serial header replacing the DB9 port.

Chassis construction would have to be a bit tougher : 12/10+ galvanized iron is preferable, if not for mechanical requirements, it really helps to gain trust among the old network engineers.

* Pricing

I guess such chassis could have a way higher price-point than the current CCR line. Considering the features and benefits of such platform, a 2k€ price range for a 4 slot chassis fully equipped with redundant power supplies, XFP and 10SFP boards would still be a bargain.

I guess the economy of scale achievable via re-using modules accross products would help keep good margins even considering the raise of construction costs.

I may even believe my employer would invest some cash in developping such models, at least on pre-orders :wink:

What do you think, as users and potential buyers ? Could anyone from mikrotik comment on the feasability ?

NicolBolas
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Specification requests - CCR product line

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I just learned about the next model : CCR1072-1G-8S+ on tilera's website (http://www.tilera.com/about_tilera/pres ... lity-tiler).

With this NPU, the 1U modular form factor would not give enough space. Maybe a 2U model ? :p

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:02 pm

You can see a photo of a pre-release version of the CCR1072:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 59#p416159

You can see that 1U is enough

NicolBolas
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi Normis,

I saw that already. Looks like a real improvement thanks to the dual power supply. Although the smartcard reader and LCD are mostly useless and a potential security breach. Is it possible to disable it permanently (physical disconnection) ?

Still, my point would be to have more flexibility in terme of hardware configuration, and a sturdier build to match the robustness of most network equipment. Is there any plan to develop such models ?

Thanks !

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Please clarify about the smart card? The smart card is used to store your private key. You only plug it in to generate certificates.

The LCD could be unplugged I guess, but the PIN on the screen works well and is not possible to hack
and a sturdier build to match the robustness of most network equipment.
the CCR1072 case will be made of steel. it is quite heavy and robust.

NicolBolas
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Please clarify about the smart card? The smart card is used to store your private key. You only plug it in to generate certificates.
I thought it could also be used as a local authentication token. My mistake. I don't see the point in handling certificate generation on a router though, should'nt it be made exclusively on a networkless machine ?!
The LCD could be unplugged I guess, but the PIN on the screen works well and is not possible to hack
Well, saying "pin-code local auth" to my chief security officer will make him scream so loud the entire crew will get their ears bleed within seconds. No way I can be authorized to deploy this in a carrier-hotel. Will disconnect for sure.
the CCR1072 case will be made of steel. it is quite heavy and robust.
How will it compare with, let's say a Cisco ASR 1001 or Juniper MX80 ? Can I stand on it ? have first-level technicians slam a spare power-supply in it ? How will it handle air-conditionning failures (those happens at least once per summer in some carrier-hotels around here) ?

Thanks !

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Yes, you can stand on it. The steel is thick, and due to the dual PSUs it's very heavy. All Cloud Core Router and RouterBOARD devices are very happy to work in hot temperatures, but I guess I will be able to give more specific information when we have the product ready and tested in a temperature chamber.