Community discussions

MikroTik App

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

cloud core router switching and other software

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 pm

I've looked at the specs for the tile-gx CPU and mikrotik's offerings and am impressed by the price but is it possible to run other software?
Based on the tile-gx brochure mentions that it supports C,C++, java and has the tilera SDK for it, so if i were to create a program that is binary compatible with the CPU and routerOS linux kernel would it be possible to run the program on a cloud core router?

I am using a MIPS based routerboard at the moment but having a router that is fast,programmable and customisable would be a lot nicer. If the cloud core router had miniPCIe and could run other programs i could attach other devices to it other than just for pure networking. For example would be logging and managing devices on the network through their sensors or controlling them (such as clocks and voltages) instead of having to use a PC with a commercial management software and power management for computers and networked plugs. I dont like having seperate devices to manage each seperate thing or having to leave a server on all the time.

How is the switching performance like for the cloud core router? I have tried using the MIPS based routerOS which has an atheros CPU and switch but it cannot go past 1Gb/s even if i have 4 systems transferring data at the same time while using a managed switch i get 2Gb/s per system using bidirectional testing with mikrotik's own bandwidth tester.

Does the cloud core router support ECC ram and is it required if it is going to be turned on 24/7 all year round?