Community discussions

MikroTik App

SlipKo
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware NAT Accelerate

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi!

Whether you plan to create Hardware NAT Accelerate for routers?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Quindor

Re: Hardware NAT Accelerate

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi!

Whether you plan to create Hardware NAT Accelerate for routers?

P.S. Sorry for my English.
No, and yes they already do (Fast Path) and no/yes, but no.

Why would they want a non-versatile hardware NAT engine and restrict themselves while they have clearly chosen for a software based optimized multi-core design with the CCR series?

So no, it's not needed or desired. Hopefully that answer your question. :)

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:22 am

Yes and no. It is not needed, as far as the software implementation can meet the performance requirements of a specific application. In the case of massively multicore machines such as CCR, this requires the processing engine to be wholly multicore optimised. Correct me if I am wrong, but RouterOS is not yet 100% multicore. It seems the complete transition is planned for v7.

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9100 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Kreacher

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Hello,
Correct me if I am wrong, but RouterOS is not yet 100% multicore. It seems the complete transition is planned for v7.
Surely it is not 100% multicore compatible, but if such companies like Microsoft, huge gaming companies, and others like Adobe are only using until today only 4 Cores from the Intel cpu´s
it will be fine to know that a smaller latvian company likes MikroTik is able to deliver it from 9
to 72 cores those things.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 pm

its mode in mentality of old-shool devlopers, grown-ups from C and C++ backgrounds/career.
not so much HR on market presently with skills of truly coherent, fluidly conculrent and self-parelezing langs, including Erlang foremost and them Haskell, Ada(even in aerospace and military sector).
three isn't poitn to talk about scaliabity in Reality/Universe(or perceptions of such) where exist things as "threads", "semaphores", "mutexes", "shedulers" and etc.
.http://www.erlang.org/download/erlang-book-part1.pdf
folks who started from oberon, pascal, modula and etc in college - usually more flexible and better adapt that.
same issues with ROS kernel - MT went alpha netowkrs and cavium way and implemented fast path on kernel-level, while Tilera had WASTLY better idea about. with preidcitble benefts, both in scalability and other areas.
http://www.tilera.com/sites/default/fil ... aper_0.pdf