Community discussions

MikroTik App

zorpat
Topic Author

GPON networks with Mikrotik/Routerboard SFP ports

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:16 am

Hello community,
I have a very special question about any compatible SFP-fiber-optic module to use in GPON access networks?

Do you know some possible SFP-modules which are tested with Mikrotik hardware?

I would like to design a single OLT to many ONU network, but there are no good and professional informations available on the web..

Thank you very much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: GPON networks with Mikrotik/Routerboard SFP ports

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 pm

I was trying to find out the same thing a year or so ago. I ended up just going with some Adtran TA 5000 head-end units and a thousands of cleint devices like the Iphotronix.

There is or was at least one SFP fiber module that claimed it could make a normal SFP interface participate in a GPON fiber network. I think it was made by Finisar. It is a SFP transceiver with built-in GPON or EPON ONU functions.

Try taking a look at: http://www.finisar.com/products/optical-modules/pon

My GPON fiber network is not installed or up and running yet. If I knew that Mikrotik could work in a GPON network, I could still use another 4,000 client-side Mikrotik devices then.

I am building a fiber to the home network in North Idaho and planning on offering 10 meg to 300 meg to each customer. Where each optical splitter uses only 8-way splits. This will enable every group of 8 customers per GPON splitter to hit 2-gig down and 1 gig up. Also planning on hundreds of splitters to handle thousands of customers. The stuff gets expensive and if Mikrotik had a GPON solution instead of active ethernet, I would be the first in line to want to try it out.

Where are you building your GPON network ?

Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Something to consider with using any Mikrotik products in a PON network - if trying to use a special SFP (such as the Finisar with GPON built-into the SFP module) to a Mikrotik device ---- What about the IP-Phone ATA media electronics... You would need to use a network ATA instead of an ATA build directly into the customer equipment connected to the GPON fiber network.

Mikrotik - look and listen and consider.... If Microtik supported the GPON market, the Mikrotik customer base could grow 100,000 times larger almost over night. What would Mikrotik do with orders in the 10,000 units per week or month ???

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Almost forgot - take a look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELISum9mSI

It looks like a Mikrotik using the SFP GPON electronics you are acking about.

hegars
just joined

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 am

zorpat
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 am

I was trying to find out the same thing a year or so ago. I ended up just going with some Adtran TA 5000 head-end units and a thousands of cleint devices like the Iphotronix.

There is or was at least one SFP fiber module that claimed it could make a normal SFP interface participate in a GPON fiber network. I think it was made by Finisar. It is a SFP transceiver with built-in GPON or EPON ONU functions.

Try taking a look at: http://www.finisar.com/products/optical-modules/pon

My GPON fiber network is not installed or up and running yet. If I knew that Mikrotik could work in a GPON network, I could still use another 4,000 client-side Mikrotik devices then.

I am building a fiber to the home network in North Idaho and planning on offering 10 meg to 300 meg to each customer. Where each optical splitter uses only 8-way splits. This will enable every group of 8 customers per GPON splitter to hit 2-gig down and 1 gig up. Also planning on hundreds of splitters to handle thousands of customers. The stuff gets expensive and if Mikrotik had a GPON solution instead of active ethernet, I would be the first in line to want to try it out.

Where are you building your GPON network ?

Tom Jones
Hi Tim,
sorry for the late response..

Well, we are implementing this in Italy, where the FTTH is growing very fast from day to day..
We actually have some infrastructure ready to be used, but we are no able to find a "pricely good" system.
Since we are working with Mikrotik from years and all the systems are running stable we would like to check the possibility to use it in this kind of environment..
We have 1 testsystem based on CISCO, but.. yeah... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You know?

zorpat
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:06 am

Something to consider with using any Mikrotik products in a PON network - if trying to use a special SFP (such as the Finisar with GPON built-into the SFP module) to a Mikrotik device ---- What about the IP-Phone ATA media electronics... You would need to use a network ATA instead of an ATA build directly into the customer equipment connected to the GPON fiber network.

Mikrotik - look and listen and consider.... If Microtik supported the GPON market, the Mikrotik customer base could grow 100,000 times larger almost over night. What would Mikrotik do with orders in the 10,000 units per week or month ???
AGREE !! THUMBS UP !!

But is there any Mikrotik stuff reading this posts?

zorpat
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:15 am

Almost forgot - take a look at this video

It looks like a Mikrotik using the SFP GPON electronics you are acking about.
yeah, looks good for the ONU side..
But it's not possible to make the OLT side with Mikrotik.. :(

???? Is there any mikrotik stuff reading this posts ???? :)

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: GPON networks with Mikrotik/Routerboard SFP ports

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Any news from mikrotik with FTTH OLT/ONT integration?
Fiat would be really cool stuff.

zorpat
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Any news from mikrotik with FTTH OLT/ONT integration?
Fiat would be really cool stuff.
Sorry, but I think not one from MT staff is reading our posts..

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:16 am

I do think they read almost everything... most of the time...

I suspect the reason there is not a mikrotik-staff answer is because there is not a supported GPON solution.

Anybody who works with massive amounts of fiter-to-the-home already knows what GPON is and how much it is going to dominate the market for fiber growth in ftth networks. The silly thing is, excluding the a built-in ATA (built-in SIP IP phone electronics), the mikrotik would be great if the router O.S. had built-in driver & software of GPON.

Wouldnt it be great to see the following:
- some type of a supported mini-PCI ATA (built-in SIP IP phone electronics) & router O.S. driver support
- SFP support & drivers for GPON (so that something like an Adtran TA-5000 (head-end) sees and talks to a Micotik talking GPON (instead of Active Ethernet)

Adtran openly supports 3rd party products. All that is needed is some type if a mini-PCI ATA card and some support in the Mikrotik O.S. to understant how to function in a native GPON network. O-well... I currently have 3,000+ (non Mikrotik) devices still in the queue to be ordered from somebody else...

Mikrotik - wake up --- This is a huge growing market you could almost dominate with just a firmware update.

zorpat
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am

I do think they read almost everything... most of the time...

I suspect the reason there is not a mikrotik-staff answer is because there is not a supported GPON solution.

Anybody who works with massive amounts of fiter-to-the-home already knows what GPON is and how much it is going to dominate the market for fiber growth in ftth networks. The silly thing is, excluding the a built-in ATA (built-in SIP IP phone electronics), the mikrotik would be great if the router O.S. had built-in driver & software of GPON.

Wouldnt it be great to see the following:
- some type of a supported mini-PCI ATA (built-in SIP IP phone electronics) & router O.S. driver support
- SFP support & drivers for GPON (so that something like an Adtran TA-5000 (head-end) sees and talks to a Micotik talking GPON (instead of Active Ethernet)

Adtran openly supports 3rd party products. All that is needed is some type if a mini-PCI ATA card and some support in the Mikrotik O.S. to understant how to function in a native GPON network. O-well... I currently have 3,000+ (non Mikrotik) devices still in the queue to be ordered from somebody else...

Mikrotik - wake up --- This is a huge growing market you could almost dominate with just a firmware update.
Well I can confirm, the european market is growing no sorry, it's EXPLODING on daily base..
It would be nice to know if there are already plans for implementing a GEPON solution or not..?!

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 am

currently we have nothing to offer to you in regard to GPON/PON

zorpat
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:20 am

Thank you very much for response!
I'm sorry I couldn't reach you in another way than posting to another topic.

Sorry to insist, but are there any plans for supporting it in the future?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Please consider supporting the GPON fiber-to-the-home market.

Mikrotik is just about the best low-cost WiFi, router, firewall, nat, bandwidth-tester, almost everything product on the market (in both software and hardware). I am sure all of us who post to this forum totally love the mikrotik products and know they are the best thing out there.

Some of us using these forums know the GPON FTTH market is a very large market and growing quickly. Even the FCC is pushing for FTTH network connections to just about every home in the United States and other countries are making huge steps to do the same. With future new customer FTTH connections far larger than hundreds of millions, there is a really really really huge market that Mikrotik could step into and dominate after the word got out about the Mikrotik products.

Just about all the Mikrotik parts are there right now. All that is needed is two things, GOPN software drivers and driver dupport for mini PCI-e ATA SIP cards.

Mikrotik is really great in the WiFi rural market, with GPON support, Mikrotik could be great in the GPON market also.

If I was a sales person or sales engineer with Mikrotik, I would be saying - whoooooo - take a look at the size of the GPON market - it is in the millions and millions and growing quickly.

Mikrotik is great - really great - I know Mikrotik would do very well be enterning the GPON FTTH market by simply making some additional software drivers inside the existing router os platform.

Tom Jones - Plant Engineer
Coeur d'Alene Tribe - Fiber to the home project
North Idaho

:) :)

javajox

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:03 am

hello,

I'm also very interested in this topic. My provider connected me to a GPON network so I have a 1Gb optical connection. For now the optical cable goes into a Huawei HG8245H router, and next is connected to a CCR1036-12G-4S router. The problem is that I want to get rid of this Huawei router and connect the optical cable directly to my CCR1036-12G-4S router through a SFP module. Below are some details. As Mikrotik support suggested they don't have any solution for GPONs, but anyway we are talking about SFP modules, so maybe there are some 3rd party vendors which provide such solutions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:13 am

+1
For GPON (GEPON) implementation in Mikrotik ROS
For network termination there are already sfps which willl work, eg. from Finsair.
But very interesting would be OLT software/hardware in Router OS.

Go for 10G - PON

PON | Finisar www.finisar.com/products/optical-modules/pon PON sticks are SFP transceivers with built-in GPON or EPON ONU functions. EPON sticks comply with IEEE802.3ah EPON standard and optionally, CTC OAM ...

GPON Stick - Pluggable SFP ONU - Finisar

Gesendet von meinem HTC Flyer P510e mit Tapatalk 2

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:10 am

Sure - we know about the finisar. The issue is that nobody seems to be using it or tested it in a Mikrotik.

Another issue is, this would be a Mikrotik non-supported configuration. If we have any problems, then we are on our own.

Another issue is, even if the finisar works, you only have the SFP talking - the Microtik still may not be compatible with the head-end GPON network electronics or admin/managing software. ((Such as configuration and UPS power outages not being seen by the head-end GPON electronics))

Another issue is, Mikrotik does not have any support or drivers for a PCI ATA sip card. So, you are again on your own to look at a third-party ethernet ATA sip device. Then you have to make it all work when the power goes out.

Another issue is, there are no drivers or software support in the Router OS to understand what a GPON even it and how to participate in the network.

OOOO sooo close - but without official Microtik supported drivers, I do not think it is a prudent investment to build a million+ dollar network using Mikrotik products that do not have GPON driver support. All it would take is software drivers and support for a PCI ATA sip device - then I would be willing to build up a test network and consider a large deployment install.

I am using Adtran TA5000 units for my GPON in my multi-city fiber-to-the-home networks, They (Adtran TA5000) have no idea what a Mikrotik even is - no drivers and no GPON compatibility

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 am

Paint.NET

and new module ~100$ http://www.dlink.ru/ru/products/1383/1871.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:48 am

Yea - I see that D-Link has some GPON products right now. Just google "D-Link GPON" (or as an option try "aztech GPON" or "GPON OLT vendors")
I suspect the D-Link hardware is actually just a normal wireless router that has a SFP port ( and the optional FSX ports to support VoIP to a standard analog telephone ) - but the D-Link firmware has been updated to support GPON standards.

taduikis

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:55 pm

I'm not fully familiar with GPON networks, but as I understand it uses one shared medium per OLT port. It means that downstream traffic from OLT is received by all ONUs, and, at some extent, is upstream. This means you need precise timing for upstream traffic (like TDMA slots), so therefore you need some clever management system to give IDs for ONUs. Then, for security reasons, you need to encrypt your traffic using some industrial encryption mechanisms, like AES. All this stuff requires quite large amount of processing power and management capability - to at least set ID and password for encryption. OLT side needs to do a lot more computing to keep everything working. I've also heard that there were vulnerabilities in early GPON systems where you could intentionally crash everything by just feeding the shared medium with some "dumb" laser light. I'm not even talking about any purposely made equipment to sabotage the network. Major vendors had a long road counteracting such issues.

MT can definitely come up with some entry-level GPON solution with up to 64 clients per single OLT port. I'm not sure, but this might only need some GPON SFP modules already available on market . And of course separate GPON package for RouterOS. That way you could use CCR as OLT and 2011s or any other RBs with SFP as ONUs. If this catches up quickly, next best move would be to make some cheap RB951 style WiFi-enabled CPE with SFP-port or integrated GPON module for mass customer deployment. The market of this becomes huge, catch the train while you still can, before Chinese completely dominates this segment.

I am no expert on this thing, so correct me if I was wrong at some point..

PastuhMedvedey

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:15 am

If this catches up quickly, next best move would be to make some cheap RB951 style WiFi-enabled CPE with SFP-port or integrated GPON module for mass customer deployment.
Good idea.

jayd2k

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 am

As usual MikroTik is working on a lot of stuff at the same time. Perhaps GPON might come up early next year. They're definitely aware of it. I suggest everyone to lean back for the moment and enjoy the holidays. Things will work out eventually. Cheers :D

ericc
just joined

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:38 am

Tom, what hardware are you using on both ends? Very interested!

Eric in Colorado

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:28 am

Or just deploy an active Ethernet 10G fiber network... Problem solved!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Tom, what hardware are you using on both ends? Very interested!

Eric in Colorado
For my head-end(s) in our server rooms, I will be (am) using multiple Adtran TA5000 units. With lots of 8-port fiber cards in many Adtrans.

For the client side, I have some iPhotronix we are installing at the client locations. The optical splitters are generally located between the Adtran TA5000 ports and a group of client iPhotronix in a remote neighborhood. Thus, using a single fiber strand, I can light up a 2-gig down (1.2 gig up) link to customers 20 to 40 KM away. The optical splitters can be anywhere you want. If the optical splitters are in a neighborhood 40km away, then you only burn up one strand for 40km. After the optical splitters, the 8 to 16 (up to 64) fiber strand then connect up to access terminals where we connect/plug-in the customers.

The iPhotronix we are using have the following (built-in)
Fiber for GPON
2 to 4 (10/100/1000 Ethernet ports)
telephone sip ports (connect a regular analog telephone.
I am not using RF-Overlay. RF-Overlay allows for typical cable tv coax over fiber.

Tom Jones

adrcomms

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Really interested in this too, we are looking a the build of our first GPON network, but would like to use Microtik.

Adrian

rma153
just joined

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 am

The Finisar GPON SFP ONT performs all the necessary GPON functions and since it does not internally use an Ethernet PHY chip, it simply terminates the GPON and converts it into the 1GE signal so that it passes directly into any SFP socket of any Host device. Just like with a 1GE P2P link Transceiver SFP, this means that you can plug the Finisar GPON SFP into any host device that has a standard SFP socket on it, such as for example the Mikrotek RB953GS-5HnT-RP. Or you could simply use a TP-Link convertor that converts the Finisar SFP into 1GE and plug that into a the !GE port on the RB951G-2HnD. The issue is that the GPON SFP ONT must be recognized by and must interoperate with the OLT, which may or may not be allowed by the OLT vendor.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:07 am

hardly that happen. except as paid option for CCR only.
and there is why:
1. GEM/GFP mess/protocol. incompleted and sometimes sub-standard implementation in some vendors make things even worse.
2. one-way encryption overhead, may screw even CCR processor under decent load. if thats truly FTTP installation, usual for. rather than FTTH, for which GPON used usually in countries like Bangladesh, Thailand or in rural areas/campings(with dramatically lower throughput and heavily shared/divided copper/timeslots).

[Ge/10Ge]PON hoever slightly simplier in terms of 1 and more interesting offer/option than GPON.
but rest remain, ie HUGE overhead, semi-proprietary, slow-evolving tech, manageability and scalability issues. similar to convntional(i.e. "active" optics) cost of deployment, but SERIOUSLY bottlenecked in terns return of investiments and scalability.
there only ONE GPON/GePON advantage - fully passive and zero overhead and zero notice bulk mass surveliance. and thus WHY literally ALL passive-networking - obsessed carriers/ISP was heavily tied to Governments, across Globe.
point is: there many much better ISP with Decent fiber connections. rather than dead-ends like GPON/GePON.
no offence, no returns, no worries. peace !

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Any news about GPON and Mikrotik?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 12, 2015 1:00 am

I think CPE market for broadband its very limited by big network ISP equipment vendors,this vendors impose limitations and certification processes and requirements to give support and guaranties to ISPs.

They offer centralized CPE management options, and security recommendations to FORCE their own brand of CPE on the ISPs network.

Mikrotik has not develop any DOCSIS or x.DSL products because that, and GPON looks like the same thing.

The solution for end users its to request a bridged service (when provided) to avoid CPE performance limitations.

robsonfranklin
just joined

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:27 pm

It's been one year after this answer. Is there any possibility to support GPON in Routerboards?

Kind Regards.

Adav
just joined

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:46 pm

I tried to use SFP ONT based on Lantiq platform.
https://www.lantiq.com/gpon
As far as I know, SFP ONT Finisar recommended earlier uses the same platform.

I tried to use this SFP in the simplest media converter tp-link mc220l. Perfectly works with Huawei OLT in internet provider. As far as I know, this module was also tested and works with ZTE OLT.

I tried to use this SFP in the Mikrotik CCR1009, CRS125 and RB2011:
CCR1009 - flapping link between Mikrotik and SFP once a second in SFP and SFP+ ports.
CRS125 - reboot Mikrotik
RB2011 - usually flapping link between Mikrotik and SFP once a second, sometimes connection completely disappears, sometimes connection becomes stable, connection with OLT is established and the Internet a traffic starts going (usually no more than for one-two hours then connection with a Microtik disappears completely). Works very unstably. It wasn't succeeded to understand the reason of such various instability.

Working capacity in the simplest media converter and a variety of problems in different Microtiks surprises. I hope that this problem has the decision from a Microtik support.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:50 pm

I tried to use this SFP in the simplest media converter tp-link mc220l. Perfectly works with Huawei OLT in internet provider. As far as I know, this module was also tested and works with ZTE OLT.

CCR1009 - flapping link between Mikrotik and SFP once a second in SFP and SFP+ ports.
CRS125 - reboot Mikrotik
RB2011 - usually flapping link between Mikrotik and SFP once a second, sometimes connection completely disappears, sometimes connection becomes stable, connection with OLT is established and the Internet a traffic starts going (usually no more than for one-two hours then connection with a Microtik disappears completely). Works very unstably. It wasn't succeeded to understand the reason of such various instability.

Working capacity in the simplest media converter and a variety of problems in different Microtiks surprises. I hope that this problem has the decision from a Microtik support.
Not trying to be negative here with Mikrotik - but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I ended up ordering a few thousand iPhotonix units because I could not wait years for Mikrotik to come out with a fiber product or firmware to support GPON. The iPhotonix supports multiple SIP lines - RF overlay - multiple ethernets, wireless, and GPON or active Ethernet.

Adav
just joined

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am

I could not wait years for Mikrotik to come out with a fiber product or firmware to support GPON.
Mikrotik no need to do support of GPON in their firmware. This GPON ONT represents the full-function bridge in SFP form factor with own MIPS processor, ethernet, IP address and management through telnet. A problem in ethernet compatibility (in SFP) in connection between this bridge and Mikrotik. I hope that the problem solved.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 pm

I could not wait years for Mikrotik to come out with a fiber product or firmware to support GPON.
Mikrotik no need to do support of GPON in their firmware. This GPON ONT represents the full-function bridge in SFP form factor with own MIPS processor, ethernet, IP address and management through telnet. A problem in ethernet compatibility (in SFP) in connection between this bridge and Mikrotik. I hope that the problem solved.
Sorry - I do not understand your post.
Are you saying a Mikrotik does not support GPON - or can support GPON with a special SFP.
I know there are some SFPs that state they can work in a GPON network when inserted into a non GPON aware device (like a dumb switch or dumb router non PON aware).

What luck has anybody had trying to use these custom GPON SFPs in a non GPON aware device? I would assume that much of the GPON special functions would not be functional and that a TR-069 server or GPON head-end device may not know what to do with it without any specific configuration files.

North Idaho Tom Jones

Adav
just joined

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:28 am

Are you saying a Mikrotik does not support GPON - or can support GPON with a special SFP.
I know there are some SFPs that state they can work in a GPON network when inserted into a non GPON aware device (like a dumb switch or dumb router non PON aware).
Yes. About such device I spoke. And only such SFP can work in Mikrotik.
What luck has anybody had trying to use these custom GPON SFPs in a non GPON aware device? I would assume that much of the GPON special functions would not be functional and that a TR-069 server or GPON head-end device may not know what to do with it without any specific configuration files.
This SFP full-function GPON-Ethernet Bridge. Intended just for non GPON aware device (any L2, L3 swith or router). This SFP support OMCI management for L2 settings from OLT. For management of the L3 Mikrotik settings the TR-069 protocol from OLT is certainly not applicable.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:50 am

Adav,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am fairly new to working with GPON. I got my first GPON (test) network running only a few days ago. Now to replicate the procedure for several thousand customers (all at the same time - or at least quickly) and start turning up my customer GPON network. FYI - I am using several fully loaded Adtran TA-5000 head ends with a boat load of iPhotonix client devices on my fiber GPON network.

May I ask you some questions?
- Do you actually have a Mikrotik(s) talking in a GPON network(s)?
- What issues have you experiences with these GPON SFPs in a Mikrotik?
- Dumb question - what is OMCI ? I would guess at some type of a configuration server or protocol.
- Does Mikrotik support TR-069 (a CPE Wan Management Protocol (CWMP) ) natively or some type of a script installed on the Mikrotik? I didn't think so. However, I do know Mikrotik supports an auto.rsc file.
- Any advice to select & build a TR-069 server ? (Open source - free software).
- Is it possible for a TR-069 server to upload an auto.rsc into a Mikrotik? I currently have thousands of microwave devices - most of them Mikrotik. It would be awesome if a (Ubuntu Linux) TR-069 server could auto-provision and auto-push configuration changes to all of my Mikrotiks at night while I am home.

Thank you for any information and I am sorry for any dumb questions.

North Idaho Tom Jones

Adav
just joined

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:19 am

I am fairly new to working with GPON. I got my first GPON (test) network running only a few days ago. Now to replicate the procedure for several thousand customers (all at the same time - or at least quickly) and start turning up my customer GPON network. FYI - I am using several fully loaded Adtran TA-5000 head ends with a boat load of iPhotonix client devices on my fiber GPON network.
I am fairly new to working with GPON too. My interest consists only in possible replacement of the equipment of provider which he installs to clients. I have no experience of OLT.
May I ask you some questions?
- Do you actually have a Mikrotik(s) talking in a GPON network(s)?
- What issues have you experiences with these GPON SFPs in a Mikrotik?
Above I described a problem. There is a desire to force to work with Mikrotik in a network of my GPON provider. Problem I am studied and hope it will be solved. In other equipment including Cisco, SFP ONT works.
- Dumb question - what is OMCI ? I would guess at some type of a configuration server or protocol.
G.984 ONT management and control interface
- Does Mikrotik support TR-069 (a CPE Wan Management Protocol (CWMP) ) natively or some type of a script installed on the Mikrotik? I didn't think so. However, I do know Mikrotik supports an auto.rsc file.
- Any advice to select & build a TR-069 server ? (Open source - free software).
- Is it possible for a TR-069 server to upload an auto.rsc into a Mikrotik? I currently have thousands of microwave devices - most of them Mikrotik. It would be awesome if a (Ubuntu Linux) TR-069 server could auto-provision and auto-push configuration changes to all of my Mikrotiks at night while I am home.
As far as I know, Mikrotik doesn't support TR-069.
Concerning Mikrotik management it is better to ask a question in other subject in the section "General". At me never such task arose. But I understand need for it at you.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 pm

How about these question to any and all Mikrotik network admins.

Q1) Does anybody out there have a Mikrotik working in a GPON network?

Q2) Does anybody out there have a Mikrotik working in a EPON network?

FYI - GPON and EPON are not the same. Both use a single fiber strand from a head end unit and the fiber goes into a passive (non electrical powered) splitter/hub. GPON is something like 2 Gig down and 1 Gig up. EPON is something like 1 Gig down and 1 Gig up. I would suspect making a Mikrotik function in the older slower EPON might work because the SFP ports are already 1 Gig ports (not 2Gig/1Gig).

One thing kinda nice - on my test GPON units, I am getting about 2 Gig down and a little less than 1 Gig up when I do speedtests out to the Internet - all within the same GPON pool at the same time. It would sure be nice if Mikrotik was also in this new fast growing market.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 am

How about these question to any and all Mikrotik network admins.

Q1) Does anybody out there have a Mikrotik working in a GPON network?

Q2) Does anybody out there have a Mikrotik working in a EPON network?

FYI - GPON and EPON are not the same. Both use a single fiber strand from a head end unit and the fiber goes into a passive (non electrical powered) splitter/hub. GPON is something like 2 Gig down and 1 Gig up. EPON is something like 1 Gig down and 1 Gig up. I would suspect making a Mikrotik function in the older slower EPON might work because the SFP ports are already 1 Gig ports (not 2Gig/1Gig).

One thing kinda nice - on my test GPON units, I am getting about 2 Gig down and a little less than 1 Gig up when I do speedtests out to the Internet - all within the same GPON pool at the same time. It would sure be nice if Mikrotik was also in this new fast growing market.
on GPON you can obtain 2 gig download and 1 gig upload simultaneously or its a shared bandwidth??

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 am

re: on GPON you can obtain 2 gig download and 1 gig upload simultaneously or its a shared bandwidth?

Both at the same time. One light frequency down and another light frequency up. I think GPON and EPON both have different up/down light frequencies and both are full duplex with up and down at the same time.

I also think the 2 Gig down may be actually 2.24 Gig down.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:25 pm

I think GPON and EPON both have different up/down light frequencies and both are full duplex with up and down at the same time.

I also think the 2 Gig down may be actually 2.24 Gig down.
GPON and GEPON are different. GPON has 2.5Gbps downstream, which is the aggregate bandwidth distributed among the connected clients.
GEPON has 1.25Gbps downstream, which is - like with GPON - the aggregate bandwidth.

both systems feature 1.25Gbps upstream bandwidth. but this is not the only difference.
GPON is backward compatible with BPON, so it has some other transport features in addition
to ethernet. GEPON supports only ethernet - which is I think fine. 90% of all GPON operators offer
ethernet based services anyway, so the remaining options are there unused.
basically GPON is an ITU stuff, whereas GEPON comes from IEEE.

both directions have newer variants, 10GPON and 10GE-PON (P802.3av).

this diagram pretty much explains the architectural differences.
gpongepon.png

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:46 pm

doneware - thanks for the input.

Adav
just joined

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:38 pm

News about GPON SFP after the firmware updating (flapping solved):

RB2011 - normally works at the connected optic jack and connection with provider. Without optics - Mikrotik is lost connection with the SFP (it connection is necessary for the SFP control even at the disconnected optics for basic configuration via telnet). Only to use other equipment in initial stage and then insert in Mikrotik. It is inconvenient.
CCR1009 - the same for SFP+ port. In SFP port works with big errors of connection (fcs error on link every 30sec), but very-very slow connection nevertheless is (with connected optics too).
CCR125 - Mikrotik is self reboot if to insert SFP because of watchdog. At disabled watchdog in this Mikrotik it becomes inaccessible neither on IP nor on MAC. At extraction of the SFP access to Mikrotik at once appears even without reset.

Adav
just joined

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry, CRS125 of course...

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 pm

One more candidate to be tested by enthusiasts having such ability http://www.sfp-xfp.com/products/gpon-stick.html

Moscow's largest landline phone operator (MGTS) pushes GPON to the home market recommending transfer to "4 in 1" services package (home internet + TV + home phone + mobile).
They provide selection from one of 3 alternative devices they (including those Huawei HG8245 mentioned by one of commenters above) to customers. Those routers are working more or less fine for undemanding home users, AFAIK. But they are not good enough for advanced users - no failover, no control over routing, no VPNs. At the same time in addition to optical and 4 Ethernet ports provider devices have phone line ports allowing connection of normal home phone, which can be "tricky" for Mikrotik.

Still, enhanced support for GPON in RoS would be really appreciated.

seaman29
just joined

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:53 pm

pepper,

do you have tested Eoptolink GPON stick with MGTS+Microtic?
One more candidate to be tested by enthusiasts having such ability http://www.sfp-xfp.com/products/gpon-stick.html

Moscow's largest landline phone operator (MGTS) pushes GPON to the home market recommending transfer to "4 in 1" services package (home internet + TV + home phone + mobile).
They provide selection from one of 3 alternative devices they (including those Huawei HG8245 mentioned by one of commenters above) to customers. Those routers are working more or less fine for undemanding home users, AFAIK. But they are not good enough for advanced users - no failover, no control over routing, no VPNs. At the same time in addition to optical and 4 Ethernet ports provider devices have phone line ports allowing connection of normal home phone, which can be "tricky" for Mikrotik.

Still, enhanced support for GPON in RoS would be really appreciated.

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:05 pm

pepper,
do you have tested Eoptolink GPON stick with MGTS+Microtic?
No. I have no GPON at home. So hope someone else can test it.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

note: despite 1-2-10Gbps speeds achievable "per medium" by latest GPON/EPON installations, they tend to be splitted between Many customers. usually that range from 1/8 to 1/64 of medium speed(1/16 to 1/32 are most usual).
and since relevant SIG "considering" making two-way encryption mandatory for PON networks, its not become usable for anything serious until it happen. and overhead of deployment and mangement - make its "advantages"(if there any for) look bleak against conventional "active" optic and performance/prices.
as for russian ISP experience for deployment, perhaps rostelekon had bigger installation of gpon/epon across country, than mgts/mts are. but experience is same in both cases, as had at&t comcast, google, etc. ie "not good".

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:24 am

I am currently bringing up some GPON clients at this time.

I am normally using 8-way-splitters but I also have many 16-way-splitters.

From what I think I know;

- the head-end (Adtran TA-5000) is using a 10-Gig SFP+ laser module out to the PONs. Per PON, we have a little over 2 gig down (about 2.2 or 2.5 gig total per PON) and we have about 1.2 gig per PON from customer pool back to the Adtran. (note - I have the equipment installed to handle about 400 unique PONS. With 8 or 16 customers per PON, I currently could handle about 6 thousand customers. You can't do that using Microwave !!! )

- Per PON (a pool of customers), I can have two customers downloading at 1 gig sustained and a 3rd customer downloading at 200 meg -or- 500 meg (I don't remember the download speed). Or I can have 16 customers in a PON all downloading at 100 meg and I still have all kinds of available download bandwidth available for IP-SIP phones and other devices (IP-TV). (A client / customer fiber interface is a max of 1-gig (SFP) in the electronics at their homes).

I am working on bringing up about 1000 GPON customers before 2016 and during 2016 another couple thousand+ GPON customers.

I am very interested using Mikrotiks in a GPON network. I would also be big-time interested if Mikrotik updated the firmware to support generic GPON SFP lasers - without having to use an SFP that has the GPON electronics directly built inside the SFP module. And, if Mikrotik did this and has on-board or mini-PCI support for SIP (Vo-IP) then I would consider ordering thousands of Mikrotiks for my GPON network.

If I had any of the special SFP modules with the GPON electronics/firmware built into the SFP module, then I would bench test them.

jayd2k

Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:42 pm

The GPON module specs have just been revealed. Check out Newsletter 68 just posted by Normis viewtopic.php?f=21&t=101952&p=506377. The module isn't listed yet on routerboard.com though its specs are available here (link from the newsletter).

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm

now possible:
http://mt.lv/gpon

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 am

now possible:
http://mt.lv/gpon
Un-fu**ing-believable!!!
Mikrotik, now this is something!
Upon availability, can someone, please, test it with MGTS/GPON in Moscow?!
Mikrotik dealers in Moscow and MO: Lanmart, WMD, Nanaiki, Routerz, please???

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:47 am

note: despite 1-2-10Gbps speeds achievable "per medium" by latest GPON/EPON installations, they tend to be splitted between Many customers. usually that range from 1/8 to 1/64 of medium speed(1/16 to 1/32 are most usual).
and since relevant SIG "considering" making two-way encryption mandatory for PON networks, its not become usable for anything serious until it happen. and overhead of deployment and mangement - make its "advantages"(if there any for) look bleak against conventional "active" optic and performance/prices.
as for russian ISP experience for deployment, perhaps rostelekon had bigger installation of gpon/epon across country, than mgts/mts are. but experience is same in both cases, as had at&t comcast, google, etc. ie "not good".
look bleak against conventional "active" optic and performance/prices

I think GPON looks superior in many ways.

Negative points about Active-Ethernet; Example - 47 thousand Active-Ethernet customers would require 47 thousand single-strand fibers (or 94 thousand two-strand fibers) from all customers back to your central office. Or you could use many remote located field electrical powered fiber switches. Also you would need 47 thousand ports on your head-end equipment. Also, if you are short just one fiber strand when connecting up a new customer, then you have to pay a contractor to re-plow additional fiber lines. Adding a new Active-Ethernet customer requires splicing new strands of fiber all the way back to your central office and the expense of a new port at your central office.

Positive points about GPON; 47 thousand customers could all be combined to a few hundred strand of fiber. There are no remote field powered switches (you use passive optical splitters). Instead of 47 thousand ports at your central office for all customers, you only need a few hundred ports. When you need add any new customers to existing fiber, you just install a tap or a splitter. No construction crew is needed. The only construction is from the house to the fiber along the street. Adding a new customer only requires house to street fiber connections.

despite 1-2-10Gbps speeds achievable
That is with GPON. However 10-gig GPON is almost easily available. Also, you can use CWDM and run many different color networks at the same time through your passive GPON system.

Conclusion: For 47 thousand customers, a GPON network build could easily save 100+ million dollars.

I am NOT stating GPON is better, I am however stating GPON costs less to build and when designed correctly it easily provide 100 to 250 download speeds to all customers at the same time. (100 meg to all customers at the same time would use 16-way splitters with nearly a gig of bandwidth to spare per GPON network).

edit - Also, many GPON ONT units are available with the lasers included and UPS battery backup systems for less than a few hundred dollars. The ONTs I am using can bridge or NAT and they all understand and can report a UPS condition - and they all have built-in SIP devices. I have tested individual customers up to 1-gig up and down using internet speed tests. So on a 16-way PON, it is possible to have every customer downloading at 100 meg with one customer downloading at nearly 1-gig - all at the same time. So the performance is there.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:00 pm

I am NOT stating GPON is better, I am however stating GPON costs less to build and when designed correctly it easily provide 100 to 250 download speeds to all customers at the same time.
im afraid you misinformed/misleaded/fooled by someome, because you Wrong here.
its actually cost same money (or more in long-term)as active optics to deploy, do not scale well, had poor speeds(even compared to copper), had poor security(note shared medium usage and one-way weak chiper in only one direction, 8x less usual to countain anything sensitive).
so both economically and technically its totally(several times, actually, hungreds compared to some solutions) inferior to ALL alternatives.
GPON/EPON actually had only TWO benefits:
1. very convinient/simple, low-overhead bulk wiretaping/collection aswel as "on site" snooping from segement intel stations(note that most ISP deploying it had special "cabinets x" marked in most establishments for govt gear and personell)
2. it had slightly less financial overhead to recovery from Nuke or EMP attack (less spend at gear(ONT/OLT budget) at expense of manpower expenses/work)
so bottom line:
no, there is Nothing good in it both for ISP and Customers.
only Feds lobbied it and do it really Hard, especially in NA and Japan. both directly and thru affilated companies they own indirectly.
so even if you switch from something that you feel "inferior" i suggest you consider other options.
(like ancient DSL, DOCSIS and dial-up)
even gFast (phase 2, phase 3 especially) DSL or 10Gb (and currently developed 25Gb version(mislabeled as "40Gb" for simlicity)) copper ethernet - WILL be better
and if you really start considering deploying fiber - do "NORMAL", Real optic, not EPON/GPON (cenzored).

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:52 am

re: ... had poor speeds(even compared to copper) ...
I did not know that copper out in the field (last mile) could handle two customers (on the same network) where both customers are downloading at 999 meg at the same time - and - be 40KM from the central office -and- still have some additional bandwidth for other customers on the same copper network also.

re: ... Nuke or EMP attack ...
Fiber is pretty much imune to EMP and RF noise from any and all frequency bands. The electronic equipment at both ends of the fiber is very subject to noise and EMP. Copper lines (DSL or cable) is also very much subject to noise. Active Ethernet repeaters in the field also do not fair well to noise & EMP & extended power outages. (Here in North Idaho - I've been through power outages up to two weeks straight.

re: ... so even if you switch from something that you feel "inferior" i suggest you consider other options... (like ancient DSL, DOCSIS and dial-up) ...
Are you saying DSL and DOCSIS cable modems and dial-up are better than GPON ?

re: ... even gFast (phase 2, phase 3 especially) DSL or 10Gb (and currently developed 25Gb version(mislabeled as "40Gb" for simlicity)) copper ethernet - WILL be better ...
And just how far can the DSL copper lines reach when we are talking about "DSL or 10Gb (and currently developed 25Gb version(mislabeled as "40Gb" for simlicity"
You aint going to reach out 40 km using copper. You would will need to have very close-by DSLAMs located in every neighborhood.
Also - even 40 meg (meg or did you state gig ?) is old school and slowwww these days. Many of our GPON customers are running 100 meg and we are getting ready to kick them up to 250 meg. I don't know of any form of DSL or cable modem that can do those speeds.

We did very much consider Active-Fiber - however for where we are at in rural North Idaho, it would of cost many many many millions of dollars more than GPON. Here we have driveways longer than high-end DSL or cable modems can even reach!

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:59 am

re: ... had poor speeds(even compared to copper) ...
I did not know that copper out in the field (last mile) could handle two customers (on the same network) where both customers are downloading at 999 meg at the same time - and - be 40KM from the central office -and- still have some additional bandwidth for other customers on the same copper network also.

re: ... Nuke or EMP attack ...
Fiber is pretty much imune to EMP and RF noise from any and all frequency bands. The electronic equipment at both ends of the fiber is very subject to noise and EMP. Copper lines (DSL or cable) is also very much subject to noise. Active Ethernet repeaters in the field also do not fair well to noise & EMP & extended power outages. (Here in North Idaho - I've been through power outages up to two weeks straight.

re: ... so even if you switch from something that you feel "inferior" i suggest you consider other options... (like ancient DSL, DOCSIS and dial-up) ...
Are you saying DSL and DOCSIS cable modems and dial-up are better than GPON ?

re: ... even gFast (phase 2, phase 3 especially) DSL or 10Gb (and currently developed 25Gb version(mislabeled as "40Gb" for simlicity)) copper ethernet - WILL be better ...
And just how far can the DSL copper lines reach when we are talking about "DSL or 10Gb (and currently developed 25Gb version(mislabeled as "40Gb" for simlicity"
You aint going to reach out 40 km using copper. You would will need to have very close-by DSLAMs located in every neighborhood.
Also - even 40 meg (meg or did you state gig ?) is old school and slowwww these days. Many of our GPON customers are running 100 meg and we are getting ready to kick them up to 250 meg. I don't know of any form of DSL or cable modem that can do those speeds.

We did very much consider Active-Fiber - however for where we are at in rural North Idaho, it would of cost many many many millions of dollars more than GPON. Here we have driveways longer than high-end DSL or cable modems can even reach!
since we're talking to endpoints, last 100m(but more usually 20-50m or even 10m, sometimes ;) usually covered by 1G or 10G copper Ethernet links for practical reasons, especially in multi-story environments.
after loooong, fiber links, sometimes, yes. but unusually That long, outside rural areas.
as for DOCSIS and xDSL comparison - speed-wise they faster in DOCSIS 3.x and gFast cases.
(but DOCSIS is inferior tech in many sense. only advantage - easy do deploy over legacy cables. unless you need high-speeds)
same about 10Gb and 25Gb ethernet copper links(25G unreleased, yet, sadly).
as for power outages - no tech had advantages against and each - vulnerable for cuz ALL of them - depend on plenty of active stuff, including PON networks.
copper lines are more prone to weather, biological damage or simply corrosion, but properly deployed appropriately chosen cooper medium - simply had SHORT timeline basically from physical and chemical limitations and aren't mechanically strong enough for longer lifespan(exact specs you can check for particular cable)
nobody cover more than 1-5km with pure copper anyway, its used for "last meters" even for fiber in most cases
as for "last meters" speed comparison gFast had speeds up to 1Gb over copper(depend range and cable type/conditions), for example. bottom line: if you "don't know" about something, its not exist magically just because that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast
DOCSIS 3.1 AFAIK had 10Gb/1Gb speeds limit, yet, but they working to boost it further too(not only by spectrum, but different modulation and coding are expected to b used, optionally)
i mention nukes simply because corrupt lobbysts tend to promote this as "feature" of PON sometimes, seriously, aiming public and officials ignorance, perhaps, which isn't funny, because other networks use same fiber and similarly-vulnerable active gear in field.
how can PON be cheaper than active fiber in you area ? simply because PON networks was sponsored/subsided and others was not ? my guess its clearly thats why its done. to lock-down market, making cheaper entry-point and quite expensive(as for PON are)cost of owenership, locked-down market, gear, speeds, etc. copper itself - had comparble cost of deployment(and in PON case - usually slightly more) and since it had potentially lower life - hardly menaingful investment.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:30 pm

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:36 pm

I still don't get it...is for server or client side?
I believe is for server side, installed in a mikrotik router, will become a Gigabit EPON Optical Line Terminal.
If is for client side, is useless. One EPON ONU ( terminal GEPON / client) is 50$.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:13 pm

If is for client side, is useless. One EPON ONU ( terminal GEPON / client) is 50$.
I disagree completely. For me, Client Side would allow me to remove a HUGE Verizon ONT from my office networks.

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:50 pm

I believe is for server side, installed in a mikrotik router, will become a Gigabit EPON Optical Line Terminal.
If you read Mikrotik release docu, it clearly states, that this is "Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) ONU for P2MP application". So it is for client side. And it is very usefull, cause allows growing army of GPON-linked internet users around the world to use Mikrotik routers at home without any additional crappy equipment from their ISPs. At least in case, when they use GPON for internet and TV only. Connecting phone terminal can still be a quest. But who use home phones now?!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 am

If you read Mikrotik release docu, it clearly states, that this is "Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) ONU for P2MP application". So it is for client side. And it is very usefull, cause allows growing army of GPON-linked internet users around the world to use Mikrotik routers at home without any additional crappy equipment from their ISPs. At least in case, when they use GPON for internet and TV only. Connecting phone terminal can still be a quest. But who use home phones now?!
For phone (SIP), you have some not-so-nice options
- connect a smart IP SIP phone device on the customer LAN network (vlans or 2nd Ethernet could possibly also be used)
- connect an ATA (IP device for SIP to RJ-11 telephone jacks), with an ATA then customers could use normal every-day existing telephones (vlans or 2nd Ethernet could possibly also be used)

The not-so-nice part is the Mikrotik itself does not know anything about SIP, it will however pass the IP traffic to a SIP or ATA device.

Note - Don't forget ... Now you need a battery-backup-UPS for the Mikrotik and the external SIP-ATA device and possibly an external switch also. This is where off-the-shelf GPON devices work well - the battery-backup device keeps the GPON device running and the SIP electronics on the GPON motherboard running when the power goes out.

It would be super-great at this time if Mikrotik came out with a mini-PCI & mini-PCIe SIP card which the Mikrotik understood - then you are down to just keeping the Mikrotik alive when the power goes out.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:21 am

The only advantage is when you don't want to use ISP box and want mikrotik. But in gpon networks is distribuited catv and phones. So no mikrotik for a lot of us.
You are an as**ole for rating my post negative, I'm right from my point of view.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:41 am

One note - As a client who would want to use the Mikrotik GPON device in their Mikrotik - it likely will not work. The upstream ISP would need to reconfigure their head-end equipment to talk to the new GPON serial-number of the Mikrotik GPON module.

If you are the ISP, then this should be a quick & easy change.

North Idaho Tom Jones

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:05 pm

So this is another "good news everyone".
https://youtu.be/g8IVI0sZ6F8

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:29 pm

You are an as**ole for rating my post negative, I'm right from my point of view.
Now you just ensured us that I was right. :lol:

adrcomms

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:06 pm

For Microtick

If i buy a MT GPON stick and put this in our CCR router, and put another MT GPON stick in a MT FTC11 media converter will this work?

I purchased some Finasar GPON sticks back in Jan 15 but could not get them to link using a CCR to FTC11

Regards Adrian

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:25 pm

@adrcomms

No, it wont work in that kind of setups. The module is designed to be used in GPON networks as ONT unit.

adrcomms

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Can you suggest the best way to setup a GPON network with MT at the headend

Adrian

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:42 pm

@adrcomms

At the moment that is not possible, as we do not have hardware that can be used as OLT.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Can you suggest the best way to setup a GPON network with MT at the headend

Adrian
The Mikrotik GPON SFP module is not designed nor has the ability to terminate the GPON ONT pool of devices as a head-end unit.

The Mikrotik GPON SFP module transmit and receive light frequencies in the clients are reversed with the head-end terminating device. Aka - the client ONT devices listen on the light frequency the head-end transmits on -and- the client ONT devices transmit on the light frequency that the head-end listens on.

The best you can do if you want a Mikrotik on the head-end is to use something designed as a head-end device functioning as a layer-2 device (like a switch), then at the head-end pass the layer-2 traffic to a layer-3 Mikrotik functioning as a router/NAT/DHCP-server.

North Idaho Tom Jones.

adrcomms

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Tom

So if we run a CCR as my PPPOE server and run a CCS as we do now, but with a MT GPON SPF stick in the CCS at our data centre (headend) then at the clients can we use the FTC11 to convert from MT spf GPON to ethernet 1Gb, the client uses a DSL router as there local CPE, or install a RB2011 with SPF?

Adrian

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Tom

So if we run a CCR as my PPPOE server and run a CCS as we do now, but with a MT GPON SPF stick in the CCS at our data centre (headend) then at the clients can we use the FTC11 to convert from MT spf GPON to ethernet 1Gb, the client uses a DSL router as there local CPE, or install a RB2011 with SPF?

Adrian
I do not know what a CCS is.
The Mikrotik GPON module will only work on remote clients and never at the head-end.

On my GPON networks, I use some Adtran TA 5000 units as the head-end fiber termination units. If I used the Mikrotik GPON module, it would be at remote customer locations behind the GPON splitters.

adrcomms

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Ok so the MT GPON sfp its si only for client CPE side.

The Finisar GPON unit i tried i could not get to work but i assumed this was due to the MT switches not driving the sfp unit, as you can only use MT sfp in MT devices. But i was told the MT FCT11 accepted any type of sfp, i tried the Finisar GPON units back to back and they would not talk, i assume this may be the same reason you have pointed out.

Watch the you tube video on the Finisar GPON device, from what i see it says it works back to back just like any sfp, but i could not get them to work, so put them in the desk for looking at another day, maybe i will buy two sfp switches that are not MT to test with.

Adrian

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Ok so the MT GPON sfp its si only for client CPE side.

The Finisar GPON unit i tried i could not get to work but i assumed this was due to the MT switches not driving the sfp unit, as you can only use MT sfp in MT devices. But i was told the MT FCT11 accepted any type of sfp, i tried the Finisar GPON units back to back and they would not talk, i assume this may be the same reason you have pointed out.

Watch the you tube video on the Finisar GPON device, from what i see it says it works back to back just like any sfp, but i could not get them to work, so put them in the desk for looking at another day, maybe i will buy two sfp switches that are not MT to test with.

Adrian
In the video - look at the background image.
It shows three SFP GPON modules, where all three modules are connected to an optical splitter.
At the optical splitter, (normally 1 in and 8 out, or 1 in and 16 out, or 1 in and 32 out) -- the single fiber strand
is connected to the head-end (OLT). The OLT does not use the same fiber electronics - it uses a different type of SFP module.

NOTE: Important - you must use a splitter. If you do not use a splitter, the light signals are way to strong - unless you are doing a single 30+ mile link.

getonlove2

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Can we use a mikrotik with GPON Stick just as a switch? If no, Is it the only replacement for other ONUs available at market? If yes, will the clients connected on the same mikrotik have individual internet accounts from ISP?

I would like to test a scenario as:

OLT-------Spliter-------Mikrotik with GPON Stick (as a switch)---------clients
---------clients (Clients having different internet accounts)

Please help.

xxlsuper
just joined

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:07 am

Hi I recently purchased gpon sfp ONU HUAWEI hpsp2120, in the router hap ace he shows strange parameters of temperature, the ISP link is not established, how it can be made to work?
hap ac screenshot Image
sfp onu unboxing Image

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Hello.
You can read my posts.
Also you can kick "peper" in the nuts.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 am

Hi I recently purchased gpon sfp ONU HUAWEI hpsp2120, in the router hap ace he shows strange parameters of temperature, the ISP link is not established, how it can be made to work?
hap ac screenshot Image
sfp onu unboxing Image
xxlsuper - I have a question for you re your picture attachment of a GPON SFP inserted into a Mikrotik.
Do you see this GPON SFP visual information prior to any configurations?
I am trying to make a Mikrotik SFP GPON module work in my Mikrotik - and my winbox screen does not show any similar information - it is just blank.

North Idaho Tom Jones

peper
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Hello.
You can read my posts.
Also you can kick "peper" in the nuts.
I was not reading this thread for more than a year, but you are still boiling. This is something...
Still, while pity for you and your problems, but this thread was about GPON in Mtk and not you.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:48 am

Well - today I finally got a Mikrotik (( 2011UiAS-2HnD )) with a Mikrotik GPON SFP talking to my Adtran TA-5000 head end.

You can pretty much forget about using google for help on this topic (Mikrotik GPON to Adtran) --- I found nothing after a month of searching.

What you need to do is configure the head-end for your GPON network to treat the Mikrotik GPON SFP module like a regular GPON bridge device (NOT a residential gateway).

The Mikrotik SFP interface does NOT need a vlan - - Treat the Mikrotik SFP interface with the GPON module inserted just like a regular Ethernet connection.

---
FYI
I still have a lot of work to try and test. I want to get it to pass vlans - and possibly get a SubH (out-of-band-management) working on my Mikrotik.

North Idaho Tom Jones

xxlsuper
just joined

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi all, anyone can explain to me why in the box with Linux (ROS) need to push yet another gizmo (SFP-GPON) with Linux on board (Marvell), to make gpon working on mikrotik router ??? Why should the development team sawing another firmware for spf-gpon instead to implement for example a software module for the ROS to support the required functionality gpon, omci on cheap only laser-driver sfp module for gpon?
Last edited by xxlsuper on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxlsuper
just joined

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:32 pm

xxlsuper - I have a question for you re your picture attachment of a GPON SFP inserted into a Mikrotik.
Do you see this GPON SFP visual information prior to any configurations?
I am trying to make a Mikrotik SFP GPON module work in my Mikrotik - and my winbox screen does not show any similar information - it is just blank.
North Idaho Tom Jones
Sorry for the long answer, I have not visited on this forum, on your question - yes, This information is visible prior to any configuration

Raips
just joined

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:20 pm

CRS125 - reboot Mikrotik

I have a GPON huawei HG8245H, if a use a media converter would I be able to establish a connection between the GPON and a simple ethernet mikrotik router configured as a PPPoE server?

Raips
just joined

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I have a GPON huawei HG8245H, if a use a media converter (mc111cs) would I be able to establish a connection between the GPON and a simple ethernet (rj45) mikrotik router configured as a PPPoE server?

simbav
just joined

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 am

yes is working, my setup for Ireland "siro" fibre. Is mikrotik haP AC and echolife HG8010H GPON. Vlan 10 and PPPoE client.

hell
just joined

Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:00 am

Hi.

There is a media converter and a Sercomm FGS202 module, MGTS works great because the module is a stupid bridge,
but I want Feng shui, the main purpose of the module is to work in mikrotik.

I transfer from the media converter to mikrotik and then there is a nuisance,
in RB3011 it is not visible with any firmware, I tried almost everything up to the last 7.
in RB4011 it works fine, but 10 GBIT switch hangs on it.

where to dig...???
what is the difference between ports other than the speed of 1 and 10 Gbit.....???

I put the same firmware (6.48.3), but it didn't help.