Community discussions

MikroTik App

vk4akp
Topic Author

NetMETAL 5 & Metal 9HPn Questions.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi, I'm previously a Ubiquity user but am looking to change over to MikroTik products as they seem to offer better value for money. (Higher power output, and more robust casing for the price).

I have some questions.

Re: NetMetal 5 ( RB921UAGS-5SHPacT-NM )

- I note it is a triple chain device. However I do not know of any dishes that support 3x connections?
Can one be turned off? Or not connected without any issues?
I chose this device over the similar dual chain one as it has slightly higher output power.

Re: Metal 9HPn ( RBMetal9HPn )

- I note on the main website it lists as 1000mW TX output. However the PDF suggests only 27dbm which equates to ~500mW.
Which is correct?
- In Australia our band is only 915 - 928Mhz. Can it be programmed for two 5Mhz or one 10Mhz channel safely sitting inside this spectrum space for the total emission?
- What are the speeds at 5 & 10Mhz channels for this device?
- Is this device likely to ever support the AC standard? Or is there possibly a newer model coming supporting AC? (More so for the 2.4 & 5.8Ghz variants of the same device).

Lastly any recommendations on suppliers in the USA that will ship to Australia?

Thanks - Ken.
.-.-.

LeoCombes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: NetMETAL 5 & Metal 9HPn Questions.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: NetMetal 5 ( RB921UAGS-5SHPacT-NM )

- I note it is a triple chain device. However I do not know of any dishes that support 3x connections?
Can one be turned off? Or not connected without any issues?
I chose this device over the similar dual chain one as it has slightly higher output power.
Exact same question, how connect with mANT30?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:15 pm

just connect two of the connectors, and leave the third until you can find a three chain antenna. simply makes you prepared for the future.

vk4akp
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:58 pm

1 out of 6 questions answered. :(

More answers please? :|

Most important. Suggest supplier that ships to Australia from USA etc as no stock in our country and bad prices here due to government fees also.
.-.-.

vk4akp
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:57 am

- I note on the main website it lists as 1000mW TX output. However the PDF suggests only 27dbm which equates to ~500mW.
Which is correct?
.-.-.
OK. Still after an answer on this.

Is the output power 1000mWatts? Or ~500mWatts? Brochure says 27dBm @11Mbit.

Also why is the "S" missing out of the part number compared to it's 2.4 & 5.8Ghz sisters? What does the "S" indicate?

.-.-.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:14 am

Always look in the brochure: http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/metal_ ... 120320.pdf
the main website bullet list was apperently a copy/paste error :( sorry about that.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am

- In Australia our band is only 915 - 928Mhz. Can it be programmed for two 5Mhz or one 10Mhz channel safely sitting inside this spectrum space for the total emission?
- What are the speeds at 5 & 10Mhz channels for this device?
- Is this device likely to ever support the AC standard? Or is there possibly a newer model coming supporting AC? (More so for the 2.4 & 5.8Ghz variants of the same device).
About the center channel for 915-928 you should be able to fit 2 5mhz or one 10mhz channel.
The speed would be the same like with any other A/N radio with 5/10mhz channel width.
Currently we don't have any plans for AC version of this board.

vk4akp
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am

Oh wow. Huge error!
SO our RBMetal9HPn's we just ordered will only be a poor 500mWatt than? Not the advertised 1000mWatts? :( Terrible. Only half the power. :(

Also you did not explain the "S" in the part numbers. What does it stand for please?

RBMetal9HPn, RBMEtal2SHPn, RBMetal5SHPn. ??? The "S" ??

Always look in the brochure: http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/metal_ ... 120320.pdf
the main website bullet list was apparently a copy/paste error :( sorry about that.
.-.-.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am

S means Super. Note that the "Super High Power is missing on the Metal 9. It only has "HP" (High Power)
I hope you didn't order the product based on the banner without opening the product page :)

vk4akp
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:04 am

S means Super. Note that the "Super High Power is missing on the Metal 9. It only has "HP" (High Power)
I hope you didn't order the product based on the banner without opening the product page :)
Well we contacted many people including this thread for many weeks with no answer.
And at the time looking at the brochure it only gave a referenced power level of 27dBm (~500mW) @ 11Mbit. So we assumed the higher power level advertised (30dBm / 1000mW) was for a different mode or lower speed. Without a response that's all we had to go by.
So YES we did order based on the advertised information on the main MikroTik website stating 1000mWatt.

Is there any likelihood that there will be a 900Mhz "S" model @ 1000mW or better in future? RBMetal9SHPn ??

Either way we will just have to make do with what's on order. But I would like to see a 1000mW or better 900Mhz model in the future.
The higher MikroTik power output compared to Ubiquiti products is one of our main buying points.

.-.-.

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:03 am

So we assumed the higher power level advertised (30dBm / 1000mW)
Don't forget that AU L.I.P.D regulations allow maximum EIRP of just 1W (30dBm) so if your antenna is anything more than 3dBi, then you'll need to turn the radio tx DOWN lower than the maximum 27dBm anyhow! ;)

Also, check the metal9 tx specs - it shows that modulation at 27dBm is 11mbps, but at 24dBm it is full 54Mbps (so 'less is more' :-)

Cheers, Mike.

vk4akp
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 am

@Meverest
Yes, fully aware of the LIPD reg's.
We have also done some fun stuff in the past with Packet Radio on 27Mhz via the LIPD rules using modified CB's.

The devices are set and locked down accordingly not just for EIRP but also emission width.

It's a shame we are unable to buy more of these. We have found them to be fantastic.
For some strange reason EuroDK have said they are now forbidden to sell them. :(

Would still like to see a 1Watt version.
We are expecting that eventually the 900Mhz band will become available to Amateurs in .AU in a more open format much like in the USA.

.-.-.

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:27 am

OK! ;)

It is metal 9 you are wanting to buy, or 27MHz gear? (we have some stock of metal - http://shop.duxtel.com.au/products/metal9 ;)

I agree - would be nice for our 900 band to be relaxed a bit, but I somehow don't expect it due to licensed bands either side being used for commercial telco services. Maybe if those licensed are abandoned at some time in future then there will be more chance of some movement there - maybe even more channels! :-}

Cheers!

Mike.

vk4akp
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:48 am

RBMetal-9HPn - Is what we are chasing more of.

Generally we purchase 99% exclusively abroad. USA where possible but sometimes in .EU.
This is due to the extremely over inflated prices in .AU.

For example your link lists @ AU$200ea where as our last batch came in at ~AU$120ea.

As for the 900Mhz band's future for Amateurs in .AU it's just a matter of time.
World wide this is already the case in most places.
Sadly .AU is behind in the game as per the norm. Our governing body that represents .AU Amateurs (The WIA) is not very useful when it comes to dealing with the government on our behalf.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33-centimeter_band

.-.-.