Community discussions

MikroTik App

Omnitik pre-config

It is good - I am using that config - keep it that way.
2 (29%)
Not bad - make some kind of one-click package, but not by default.
1 (14%)
It is useless - I never used that it is irritating and I never want to see that again.
4 (57%)

Total votes: 7

Matess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Do you like default config of Omnitik and Omnitik UP? (poll)

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi,
When first stupid defualt config was found in omnitik I just hoped that is some kind of mistake. Bud from that time I forget to remove that configuration for a few times and it is very irritating when you have to climb back to the top with a laptop and a cable just to remove that stupid config. I think it is really stupid, because it is pretty much normal, that power in cable is very often the only one that goes down from the tower.

I really dont get those pre-configured devices at all... I always thought that mikrotik is not for home users, but lets say okay... SOHO routers okay... put that stupid pre-config there if you want to, but still I doubt that someone who doesnt know how to set up a routerboard will buy it.

What do you think about omnitik not accesible from ether1 by default?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Do you like default config of Omnitik and Omnitik UP? (p

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:46 pm

There is also another problem with eth1. When it goes up all other ports flap. Therefore I stop to use eth1 on omnitiks. And power? Solder power wires on pcb so I can connect uplink on eth2 with power and power whatever device from whatever port of omnitik. I don't understand why you mount device on place without prior proper configuration and testing?

And anyway, when starting to set a device, I always remove the configuration without any defaults kept. And it is possible also with omnitik via eth1 - sure I loose the L3 connectivity, but L2 (mac) works even on eth1. So why is it necessary to climb back on the top?

I hate defaults (I mean e.g. ipsec policies, groups, mode configs and so...) that cannot be removed or disabled - I do not understand why....

Matess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Ok... lets say I have an omnitik on tower and a laptop down on the cable to eth1. I dont have a box from omnitik so I dont know its mac adress. So it is possible to get acces to it? how?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 pm

By pressing the magic discovery button on winbox. It will show the omnitiks mac. Just you need to have not disabled the discovery on the port.

Matess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm

no it wont show its mac.... I need to acces it from a different port, remove that config and only then it is possible to find it through winbox discovery on ether1.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Then it works for you differently then for me. Shouldn't it be in ap mode when default is loaded? The you can connect via wifi to it...

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 am

There is a firewall config on port 1 !

If you keep the box you can login over wifi .... (key on box)

tnakir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:59 am

Yeah, that default configuration is really pain in the ass, on all the boards. Please, leave the board without any configuration (except maybe IP on eth1).

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:49 am

Everyone can reset the config without loading the default configuration. Then no firewall rules are installed and all connections are accepted by default. If you need to climb up for reconfiguration why not to connect the wire into other than eth1 port so you will not have this problem in the future again?

tnakir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:35 pm

But why putting configuration nobody is using? You can configure your router with quick setup if you want, but mostly people don't use default config, they delete it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Fully agree. I already wrote it above.

blingblouw

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:41 am

Its happend everytime a plug an OmniTik in. Infact, it should not block input chain on any poe in port by default