MikroTik App

HWTest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB532 loosing all virtual interfaces

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm running a RB532, ROS 6.18, FW 2.18
Today I suddenly lost all virtual interfaces (PPoE, VPN, Bridge) only the physical interfaces were there (LAN1, LAN2 ...).
I found out, when I was trying to look at the graphs of my VPN interface and I got a message that the interface doesn't exist.
After a reboot it worked for a while, then happened again.
I also found out, that two of my static routing rules stopped to work, they are blue now in the Winbox route list.

I have tried upgrading to ROS 6.19 and it happened again (loss of virtual interfaces).
So I downgraded back to ROS 6.18.

The RB532 was running for 40 days without a problem and I didn't change anything before it happened the first time.

What could be the problem?

NAND failing?
901 464 total sectors written, 0.2% bad blocks

Bad PSU? 18V 1A

Any other ideas?

HWTest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB532 loosing all virtual interfaces

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I think I can rule out the PSU, changed for another one and the issue is still happening.

I found out I can provoke the issue by doing something in Winbox - opening windows, etc, no changing of any configuration.

One more thing - I noticed when it happens, the WLAN interface is gone too.

HWTest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB532 loosing all virtual interfaces

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 pm

After numerous netinstalls of ROS 6.18 and 6.19 I'm thinking, that the flash is really dying.

The RB is still behaving strange:
- I exported the config, that I imported after netinstall and compared the two - there are letters missing in the export file
- the two mentioned static routes sometimes work sometimes don't and are blue in the Winbox route list
- many times the first attempt to login is rejected (bad password or username), then the second attempt with same credentials is accepted (even from serial console)
- I'm not able to connect with Winbox the the IP, only to the MAC address
- every couple of hours a suppout file is generated
- the RB doesn't work reliably - obviously

I don't know how big a sector on this flash is, so I don't know how data written the 901 464 sectors represent.

Possible solutions:

1) format NAND from BIOS, but that means erasing the licence and I'm not sure it would solve the problem

2) Install ROS on a CF card, but it seems that it isn't possible and even if it was, I would need a new licence

3) Workaround - install OpenWRT or something like this on a CF card

Any ideas or suggestions?