Community discussions

MikroTik App

The1stImmortal
just joined
Topic Author

Custom Chassis for Redundant Router ADSL/Ethernet CPE

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Firstly, this is hardware so I've put it in the hardware forum, but if the powers that be think it's better off in General, no problems!

TL;DR version: We're building custom rackmountable redundant router/CPE chassis units, anyone else interested?

At work we have to deploy a bunch of CPE router/ADSL modems out to about a hundred sites. As the sites are all over the country it's easier to provide them with site routers/modems that can survive simple hardware or configuration failures fairly well. We're also needing to isolate the inter-device cabling from the users so they don't accidentally mess it up!
All the sites are dual-fed by either ADSL2+ (annex A or M) or 10-50Mbit feeds over either fibre or copper, presented as ethernet by the carrier. Different underlying carriers for each of the two lines into each site.

So our solution has been to use a dual RB2011 configuration, with the ADSL Modems or WAN links seperated from the routers themselves by switches (260GSs). In our configuration we'll be using a a combination of VRRP and ospf to handle failover etc between the links. Long story why we're using this particular configuration but suffice to say it's the best price/feature/reliability balance we're happy with.

Hardware, specifically, is:
2x RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN (de-cased)
2x RB260GS (de-cased)
2x DrayTek Vigor 120
4x S-RJ01 SFP ethernet ports

Logically, the configuration as follows (Block diagram only not an literal cabling diagramme)
(I know the 260GSes don't do STP but we're configuring such that the inter-RB2011 link gets disabled if the inter-switch link is available)

To isolate it all from the users interference we're getting a custom chassis built to contain the whole shebang and pass out the ports to the front panel. On the front we'll end up with 24 ethernet ports (14 GigE and 10 FE), 2x RJ12 ports (swappable for RJ45's where sites have ethernet wan instead of ADSL), 2x USB sockets, 2x LCDs (from the 2011's), and 4x SMA/RP-SMA connectors. There'll be 2x IEC C14 ports on the back. We'll be using Female/Female keystone jacks to get all the RJxx cables out to the front so no LEDs sadly.
Internally we'll have the 260GS's and 2011's removed from their cases and with airflow provided by a number of 80MM 12V fans.
TTL serial ports on the Vigor 120's will connect to the RB2011UiAS RJ45 RS232 ports via a TTL/RS232 converter cable for adsl debugging
Each "half" of the setup is fed by seperate 12V feeds (with the ADSL modems stepped down to 9V) - if we lose one power feed the entire setup should continue operating on half the hardware.
The entire chassis will be 2RU x ~250mm deep, with attachment points for optional rackmount ears (ie, should fit into 2RU of a comms cabinet or on a desk)

So we end up with a box with A and B side ports and internet feeds, that presents 24 ports to the outside world and handles single hardware or single power failure and remains operational (albeit with a need to possibly change ports used by devices - a fairly easy operation to walk a user through - "Everything in the 'A' ports - move them to the 'B' ports")

I'm sure you're thinking at this point "Yeah great have fun" - basically in a project like this cost per unit comes down with the number of units, so basically wondering if anyone was interested in units for their own projects?
We're going into the final phases of preproduction design so we're not looking at big changes but can probably accommodate small changes (alternate PCB mount points for slightly different hardware for example)

We're looking at (currently approximate) AU$400-AU$500 per chassis with all the accessories (power/ports/patching) plus around $500 for routers/switches/modems (though you'd presumably source the electronics yourselves)

So any interest in the chassis?

These things are going to happen regardless at this point - we're just looking to see if anyone else might find them useful too since we're going to be doing a production run anyway. If there's any interest at all I'll post photos, progress and configs for info/comments as it progresses :)

The1stImmortal
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Custom Chassis for Redundant Router ADSL/Ethernet CPE

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 am

Hi folks. If anyone is interested (and you're probably not, but hopefully someone finds this useful or something), we're messing around with our prototype unit at the moment. Nice and sturdy box, was quite impressed when it came back from the metal guys. It's basically been mistreated every way we can think of (including thrown down the stairs) to physically stress test it :)

We're still playing with options on the front panel - couldn't find passthrough keystones that were solid enough, and using punchdown keystones is just somewhat painful to manufacture. We're hoping to avoid a custom PCB as so far everything is "off the shelf" except the chassis itself. For the moment though it's Clipsal punchdown keystones (shuttered versions for WAN ports)

Nothing internal to post yet - mainly because getting the thing open takes about 15 mins thanks to some slight misalignments of some of the screws (to be corrected in subsequent versions but stuck with it for now) and I can't be stuffed cracking it open right now. It's also currently a bit of a mess of cables as we have more slack than we need in runs to allow messing about with it. But basically there's the components as per the earlier diagram.

Yes I cracked an LCD this morning while rethreading the ribbon cable to the 2011 :/ fragile things!

I'll post some internals next time I have it open and I'll get some config screenshots once it's along a bit more.
Hoping to field test it sometime next week so maybe an in-situ shot too?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Looks interesting but not useful for me so far. I am looking forward to see new pictures from inside.

marrold

Re: Custom Chassis for Redundant Router ADSL/Ethernet CPE

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Looks good!