Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

mAP-2n and RB951-2n outdated.....

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:31 am

I really don't see a lot of usage for these routers any more. Why is MT putting these in the market (the mAP-2n even only recently)?

They are both single chain, whereas for the same money or less every electronic shop sell dual chain routers for the same or less money. And they are not always bad!

They are both limited in output, whereas for the same money or less every electronic shop sells domestic routers by default (so everybody uses it) working with full 1Watt power.

They are both equipped with integrated antenna, whereas for the same money or less every electronics shop sells domestic routers with 3dBi or higher gain antennas.

Since all WISP or ISP providers working not with MT are putting other domestic routers at clients premises, which therefore usually are dual chain, higher gain and better antennas, and that all for less money, how would MT ever see their customers invest big in these routers by buying them in bulk?

I mean, just for the fact the mAP-2n has PoE output or can be powered up with an usb device, or both have the ROS doesn't put them that much ahead of the competition to justify the higher price.

And in fact, using them in urbanized areas where you as a MT devoted (W)ISP have to deal with all other brand domestic routers put at clients premises for nothing is a lost battle, even before you begin.... Client just can't stay connected to the mAP-2n/RB951-2N because they are simply pushed out the spectrum by the flood of their neigbour's wifi signals....

So apart for some geeks that like to have some ROS driven domestic small router that doesn't want to pay a few buck more for some good MT indoor stuff I actually can't understand why these 2 units are available?

Imho to make big sales, and put us MT-based (W)IPSs back in the race Mikrotik really has to come up with a (m)AP-2HPnD. 2 chains and 30dBi. By having than the ROS and the PoE out option (with usb power in) we would really have a nice unit that could beat the competition....., if the price is right!

If not, I don't even see how they ever will earn the development costs back for such a tiny device that actually comes 3 years too late....

zennik
just joined

Re: mAP-2n and RB951-2n outdated.....

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 am

I can't comment on the 951... but the mAP-2n is going to be a huge game-changer for a Threat Surveillance company I work for.

The mAP2n is wonderful for use cases where, for example, we have 300 individual cameras we have to install that we want to report back to our VPN concentrators. We just shove one inside the enclosure with the camera. 48V PoE input, and then use the PoE passthrough to power up the camera as well. The radio inside of it enables us to have it either broadcast for maintenance purposes(directly connecting to aim in/focus the camera) or hop onto a locally broadcasting AP for internet. Then we just assign a /30 or /29, and get it onto our VPN network. Pow, done. There may be a day where we won't even need that, if any of our camera vendors ever bundle a VPN client into their firmware... but for the moment, MikroTik is our best solution.

We often do deployments where networking the cameras together isn't always feasible, so we have, histortically, just shoe-horned a 750 or 450 into the case with the camera. The map, being so much smaller, makes it a lot easier to do this, and allows us to use some larger cameras in our enclosures.

WISPs are not the only people using this hardware! There are plenty of integrators out there that use Mikrotik all over the place.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 am

I am one of those integrators. I use Mikrotik on every project I touch. From Routing to Switching to just sitting there running the dyndns updater. I have tons of uses for them.

For the wireless... not so much.

Single Band at best dual chain with really basic antennas ain't hacking it for my WAP needs.
Capsman looks interesting... but dealing with single band APs??? I can't make that step backwards. Unless you can do some CRAZY MERU STUFF!
The ability to setup timers. Run scripts. etc etc etc. Makes it appealing... but I grind my teeth when people ask... "Can't I just use it for wireless too? Its only a dollar more."

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 am

I can't comment on the 951... but the mAP-2n is going to be a huge game-changer for a Threat Surveillance company I work for.

The mAP2n is wonderful for use cases where, for example, we have 300 individual cameras we have to install that we want to report back to our VPN concentrators. We just shove one inside the enclosure with the camera. 48V PoE input, and then use the PoE passthrough to power up the camera as well. The radio inside of it enables us to have it either broadcast for maintenance purposes(directly connecting to aim in/focus the camera) or hop onto a locally broadcasting AP for internet. Then we just assign a /30 or /29, and get it onto our VPN network. Pow, done. There may be a day where we won't even need that, if any of our camera vendors ever bundle a VPN client into their firmware... but for the moment, MikroTik is our best solution.

We often do deployments where networking the cameras together isn't always feasible, so we have, histortically, just shoe-horned a 750 or 450 into the case with the camera. The map, being so much smaller, makes it a lot easier to do this, and allows us to use some larger cameras in our enclosures.

WISPs are not the only people using this hardware! There are plenty of integrators out there that use Mikrotik all over the place.
Well, but (W)ISPs are probably the biggest movers of domestic routers. TP-Link is probably shipping 1000 times more of their wifi stuff per day as MT would ever dream of just producing....
And you already point yourself the life time of these mAP's is short. ("There may be a day..... etc.")
Your usage is a niche market. Nice, but not a winner globally. I don't see why MT would not be able to make a similar small (just a big bigger?) box with dual chain and 30dBm. All of that would already do the job.....

My point is, and I made that one in that past in this forum before, MT should make some winners that moves in bulk do they survive in the long term. If they can think their routers will keep them alive, or their ROS, well than I think I have been betting on the wrong horse...